Sore ass

Baal

Guest
I am a regular runner - 10k 3 times a week. But as my wife has signed up
for a sponsored cycle across Cuba, to help her with her fitness, I have
joined her in spinning classes.

I am at Level 3 and attend 3 classes each week. I have a gel pad on my seat
and invested in relatively expensive (and thickly padded) cycle shorts. But
with little recovery time between classes my ass hurt soooo much!

I would appreciate any advice that may help reduce the pain!

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

http://www.helden.org.uk

Baal writtificated

> I have a gel pad on my seat and invested in relatively expensive (and
> thickly padded) cycle shorts. But with little recovery time between
> classes my ass hurt soooo much!

Get rid of the gel pad. What you need is a firm saddle that isn't too
narrow.

We're designed so that our 'sit bones' (when sitting down feel yer bum.
There're two hard boney bits. That's them) take all the weight. With the
gel pad (or any too-soft saddle) the bones sink into the saddle and weight
starts to be borne by soft, squishy bits in our bum. After a short while
this really starts to hurt!

Baal wrote:
> I am a regular runner - 10k 3 times a week. But as my wife has
> signed up for a sponsored cycle across Cuba, to help her with her
> fitness, I have joined her in spinning classes.
>
> I am at Level 3 and attend 3 classes each week. I have a gel pad on
> my seat and invested in relatively expensive (and thickly padded)
> cycle shorts. But with little recovery time between classes my ass
> hurt soooo much!
> I would appreciate any advice that may help reduce the pain!

Take the seat off and lube the stem.

If that doesn't work then fit a wider saddle, dump the gel pad, and wear
*proper* cycling shorts.

--
Cheerz - Brownz
'89 K100RS

On Feb 28, 4:04 pm, "Baal" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am a regular runner - 10k 3 times a week.  But as my wife has signed up
> for a sponsored cycle across Cuba, to help her with her fitness, I have
> joined her in spinning classes.
>
> I am at Level 3 and attend 3 classes each week.  I have a gel pad on my seat
> and invested in relatively expensive (and thickly padded) cycle shorts.  But
> with little recovery time between classes my ass hurt soooo much!
>
> I would appreciate any advice that may help reduce the pain!
>
> --
>
> Baal
>
> I smile and go off waving
> (Amiably) - for that's my way
>
> http://www.helden.org.uk

Ride more. Sorry, but that's about it. With a good pair a shorts and a
nice saddle you ass should get used to riding after about 5-6 good
road rides. Oh yea, get off the gym-bike and onto a real bike. As a
runner you must know that a running machine is no comparison compared
to running on the road, same for cycling. Spin classes are more about
general fitness than cycling,

Laters,

Marz

"Baal" <[email protected]> writes:

> I am a regular runner - 10k 3 times a week. But as my wife has signed up
> for a sponsored cycle across Cuba, to help her with her fitness, I have
> joined her in spinning classes.
>
> I am at Level 3 and attend 3 classes each week. I have a gel pad on my seat
> and invested in relatively expensive (and thickly padded) cycle shorts. But
> with little recovery time between classes my ass hurt soooo much!
>
> I would appreciate any advice that may help reduce the pain!

Use a real bicycle?

Quite possibly the gel pad is not helping.

On 29 Feb, 08:12, Paul Rudin <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Baal" <[email protected]> writes:
> > I am a regular runner - 10k 3 times a week.  But as my wife has signedup
> > for a sponsored cycle across Cuba, to help her with her fitness, I have
> > joined her in spinning classes.

> > I am at Level 3 and attend 3 classes each week.  I have a gel pad on my seat
> > and invested in relatively expensive (and thickly padded) cycle shorts.  But
> > with little recovery time between classes my ass hurt soooo much!

> > I would appreciate any advice that may help reduce the pain!

> Use a real bicycle?
>
> Quite possibly the gel pad is not helping.

It really does take some getting used to a hard Brooks type anatomical
saddle, but softer gel pads and so on may actually reduce blood flow
to your bits, as well as make cycling harder.

spindrift wrote:
> On 29 Feb, 08:12, Paul Rudin <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Baal" <[email protected]> writes:
>>> I am a regular runner - 10k 3 times a week. But as my wife has
>>> signed up for a sponsored cycle across Cuba, to help her with her
>>> fitness, I have joined her in spinning classes.

>>> I am at Level 3 and attend 3 classes each week. I have a gel pad on
>>> my seat and invested in relatively expensive (and thickly padded)
>>> cycle shorts. But with little recovery time between classes my ass
>>> hurt soooo much!

>>> I would appreciate any advice that may help reduce the pain!

>> Use a real bicycle?
>>
>> Quite possibly the gel pad is not helping.

> It really does take some getting used to a hard Brooks type anatomical
> saddle, but softer gel pads and so on may actually reduce blood flow
> to your bits, as well as make cycling harder.

And presumably over time, other things softer.

Mark T wrote:
> Baal writtificated
>
>> I have a gel pad on my seat and invested in relatively expensive (and
>> thickly padded) cycle shorts. But with little recovery time between
>> classes my ass hurt soooo much!

> Get rid of the gel pad. What you need is a firm saddle that isn't too
> narrow.
>
> We're designed so that our 'sit bones' (when sitting down feel yer bum.
> There're two hard boney bits. That's them) take all the weight. With the
> gel pad (or any too-soft saddle) the bones sink into the saddle and weight
> starts to be borne by soft, squishy bits in our bum. After a short while
> this really starts to hurt!

Not so much hurt as lose all sensation. That is lose all sensation in
parts you do not wish to lose sensation in.

Baal wrote:
> I am a regular runner - 10k 3 times a week. But as my wife has signed up
> for a sponsored cycle across Cuba, to help her with her fitness, I have
> joined her in spinning classes.
>
> I am at Level 3 and attend 3 classes each week. I have a gel pad on my seat
> and invested in relatively expensive (and thickly padded) cycle shorts. But
> with little recovery time between classes my ass hurt soooo much!
>
> I would appreciate any advice that may help reduce the pain!

Sit bones harden up. The do get sore for a few rides but after a week or
so of regular rides they can take it.

You have no idea the damage I would inflict on myself if I tried to run
for a serious amount of time. I can run because I'm fit and have strong
leg muscles, the problem is I don't have the right balance of muscles
because I don't ever run or even walk far.

On 29 Feb, 03:00, Marz <[email protected]> wrote:
> get off the gym-bike and onto a real bike. As a
> runner you must know that a running machine is no comparison compared
> to running on the road, same for cycling.  Spin classes are more about
> general fitness than cycling

I know you said you were doing this to show solidarity with your
wife's fitness program, but riding outside instead might help your
problem. On or off road you'll be moving around more in the saddle,
leaning around corners and getting bumped about so you aren't in the
same position all the time, pressing on the same sore spots.

POHB wrote:
> On 29 Feb, 03:00, Marz <[email protected]> wrote:
>> get off the gym-bike and onto a real bike. As a
>> runner you must know that a running machine is no comparison compared
>> to running on the road, same for cycling. Spin classes are more about
>> general fitness than cycling

> I know you said you were doing this to show solidarity with your
> wife's fitness program, but riding outside instead might help your
> problem. On or off road you'll be moving around more in the saddle,
> leaning around corners and getting bumped about so you aren't in the
> same position all the time, pressing on the same sore spots.

Wot POHB sez, but aside from that it's just much, much, much less of a
chore. You can go to places you want or need to visit. You can go to
places with nicer views than the inside of a gym. You can get fitter
just by doing the grocery shopping, and feel good about it. And so on.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Nick writtificated

> Not so much hurt as lose all sensation. That is lose all sensation in
> parts you do not wish to lose sensation in.

<shudders>

Mark T wrote:
> Nick writtificated
>
>> Not so much hurt as lose all sensation. That is lose all sensation in
>> parts you do not wish to lose sensation in.

> <shudders>

I spent years wondering why my poor old chap got very cold and numb on
warm summer days but was perfectly ok in winter.

My bib tights and shorts seemed to offer an equivalent level of insulation.

It was then that I realised my bib tights didn't have the nappy in them
where as my shorts did.

In article <[email protected]>, Baal
[email protected] says...
> I am a regular runner - 10k 3 times a week. But as my wife has signed up
> for a sponsored cycle across Cuba, to help her with her fitness, I have
> joined her in spinning classes.
>
> I am at Level 3 and attend 3 classes each week. I have a gel pad on my seat
> and invested in relatively expensive (and thickly padded) cycle shorts. But
> with little recovery time between classes my ass hurt soooo much!
>
> I would appreciate any advice that may help reduce the pain!

If the saddle doesn't fit properly then no amount of padding can do
anything but make matters worse. Anything other than thin firm padding
won't help anyway. Saddle position is very important too. How much do
spinning classes cost? As preparation for real cycling I doubt they're
anywhere near as useful as real cycling - get out on your bikes for a
few 50mile+ Sunday rides.

Paul Boyd <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> writes:

> Rob Morley said the following on 29/02/2008 12:58:
>> How much do spinning classes cost?

> What on earth is a spinning class?

Training on an exercise bike in a gym along with other people doing the
same thing.

Mark T wrote:
> Nick writtificated
>
>> Not so much hurt as lose all sensation. That is lose all sensation in
>> parts you do not wish to lose sensation in.

> <shudders>

I have had this happen. I don't recommend it :)

Pete

Brownz (Mobile) <[email protected]> wrote:

> Baal wrote:
> > I am a regular runner - 10k 3 times a week. But as my wife has
> > signed up for a sponsored cycle across Cuba, to help her with her
> > fitness, I have joined her in spinning classes.
> >
> > I am at Level 3 and attend 3 classes each week. I have a gel pad on
> > my seat and invested in relatively expensive (and thickly padded)
> > cycle shorts. But with little recovery time between classes my ass
> > hurt soooo much!
> > I would appreciate any advice that may help reduce the pain!
> >

> Take the seat off and lube the stem.
>
> If that doesn't work then fit a wider saddle, dump the gel pad, and wear
> *proper* cycling shorts.

Is this likely to be possible in a spinning class?

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>