Sore Calf/cramps on race bike but not the normal bike?

wishes

Oct 21, 2006
I have 2 bikes,
one is my "Race" bike thats all carbon frame etc
The other is a mountain/road bike with fat wheels etc.

Now i regularly have been riding the mountain style bike to work and back over fairly decent hills (they were doing road works hence why i used this bike .. lots of gravel glass etc). I have never ever had sore anything other than the usual muscle useage on this bike.
The Race bike is the same size, the seat is same height, the peddles are same height from ground, i think the crank is a tiny bit longer on one of the two (but not by much if anything at all). The frame is definatly bigger, but wheel size isnt.

Basicly the seats, handlebars, cranks are in the same kind of place however whenever i ride the race bike i end up with super sore calf muscles
within 15 minutes. Ive been in the gym and doing extra exercises on the calfs to help them get into shape and it has helped a bit but not overall enough. I have a 43km race in 2 weeks - what do i do?

wishes said:
I have 2 bikes,
one is my "Race" bike thats all carbon frame etc
The other is a mountain/road bike with fat wheels etc.

Now i regularly have been riding the mountain style bike to work and back over fairly decent hills (they were doing road works hence why i used this bike .. lots of gravel glass etc). I have never ever had sore anything other than the usual muscle useage on this bike.
The Race bike is the same size, the seat is same height, the peddles are same height from ground, i think the crank is a tiny bit longer on one of the two (but not by much if anything at all). The frame is definatly bigger, but wheel size isnt.

Basicly the seats, handlebars, cranks are in the same kind of place however whenever i ride the race bike i end up with super sore calf muscles
within 15 minutes. Ive been in the gym and doing extra exercises on the calfs to help them get into shape and it has helped a bit but not overall enough. I have a 43km race in 2 weeks - what do i do?
My first thought when I saw this thread was that your saddle on the race bike was a bit higher and this was putting extra stress on your calves...

Even though you mentioned that the saddle was the same height, did you do a plumb drop from the tip of the saddle to verify the saddle was the same relative postition?

You also mentioned that you have longer cranks on one bike. I have always heard, and I follow this, that you must lower the saddle 1/2 the difference when you go with a longer crank and raise the saddle 1/2 the difference when you go with a shorter crank...

Jim

otb4evr said:
My first thought when I saw this thread was that your saddle on the race bike was a bit higher and this was putting extra stress on your calves...

Even though you mentioned that the saddle was the same height, did you do a plumb drop from the tip of the saddle to verify the saddle was the same relative postition?

You also mentioned that you have longer cranks on one bike. I have always heard, and I follow this, that you must lower the saddle 1/2 the difference when you go with a longer crank and raise the saddle 1/2 the difference when you go with a shorter crank...

Jim
Yeah the seats are the exact same height - that was the first thing i adjusted. I dont think i can get it much lower though with the larger frame - but i'll give it a go and see what happens :)

wishes said:
Yeah the seats are the exact same height - that was the first thing i adjusted. I dont think i can get it much lower though with the larger frame - but i'll give it a go and see what happens :)
+1 on checking for the same saddle setback with a plumb bob drop; the position of your knee over the pedal. Also, are you using the same shoes and cleats with both bikes?
If your roadbike shoes have the cleat set up forward of the ball of your foot, that will place more loads on the calf muscles.

Well i moved my seat forward a little, now my legs are a little more under/behind me. Its weird but i dont get sore calfs any more.

Thanks heaps for your help guys :D