Sore Elbows?

bayrunner

Mar 28, 2006
I was just wondering if im the only person who gets sore elbows when I ride? Iv'e always worked out with weights and so on and have never had any problems with my elbows. Maybe my seat it too high or angle is no good ? I would be interested to know if anyone else has problems with sore elbows while riding!

Many thanks, Bayrunner.:confused:

bayrunner said:
I was just wondering if im the only person who gets sore elbows when I ride? Iv'e always worked out with weights and so on and have never had any problems with my elbows. Maybe my seat it too high or angle is no good ? I would be interested to know if anyone else has problems with sore elbows while riding!

Are you riding with your elbows locked? If your bike is properly fit there ought to be a bend in your elbows, a noticeable one at that. My guess would be that's the source of your pain. If your elbows weren't under a load, they wouldn't be sore.

bayrunner said:

I used to have a lot of problems with sore elbows and wrists. Like the above poster said, it's usually because of a load on your upper body. If your saddle is tilted down, or too far forward, and you find yourself pushing your upper body off the bars a lot, that will do it. You have to set up your bike, and just get in the habit of keeping a slight bend in your arms when you are just pedalling along, not straight.

I don't know much about proper cycling technique but I agree with these guys. Locking any part of your body and adding some weight to it isn't good over time. Think about if you have ever stood up in a wedding, the coordinator will remind everyone to not lock their knees. You should keep them bent to promote blood flow. Seems like the same thing.

bayrunner said:

You don't happen to work with computers do you? (I'm thinking carpal tunnel syndrome....)

bayrunner said:

I have exactly the same problem and also used to do a lot of gym. I am starting to think that it may be a combination of heavy bench presses and the "locked" elbows.

Am wondering if I should not bring the handlebars closer.