Sore Elbows

Newtothegame

Sep 23, 2009
Hi,
Being "newtothegame" i have started deloping a real constant pain in the left elbow and surrounding areas.
i have been riding for 3 months now and complete a commute to work 5 days a week of around 30km.
Im not in the worlds best shape however the ride doesnt hurt me that much.

I seem to have most pain when im out of the sadlle climbing.

A. does this sound common?
B could this be related to the setupof the bars?
C are the any known "remedies" to help with this kind of injurie?

looking forwardto any help out there.

cheers

Newtothegame said:
Hi,
Being "newtothegame" i have started deloping a real constant pain in the left elbow and surrounding areas.
i have been riding for 3 months now and complete a commute to work 5 days a week of around 30km.
Im not in the worlds best shape however the ride doesnt hurt me that much.

I seem to have most pain when im out of the sadlle climbing.

A. does this sound common?
B could this be related to the setupof the bars?
C are the any known "remedies" to help with this kind of injurie?

looking forwardto any help out there.

cheers

I had the same problem a while back. Need to stop riding and get fitted properly. In my case, the saddle was too far forward and tilted forward a little too much. This put pressure on my arms, the fore arm muscle contracts and pulls on the elbow ligament (like tennis elbow, tendonitis, etc). I was re-fitted and moved the saddle back to put more weight on my butt. But it could be different in your case; maybe the reach is off or the bars too low. Stay off the bike, ice it, take an anti-inflamatory medication and start slowly once you get fitted correctly. When you start riding again, you need to strengthen the forearm muscles and also stretch them. There are several exercises that a PT can give you. It's a VERY annoying overuse injury and takes a while to get rid of it. Don't discount it, it will get worse if you don't treat it...
Also a strong core takes pressure off your arms.

rparedes said:
I had the same problem a while back. Need to stop riding and get fitted properly. In my case, the saddle was too far forward and tilted forward a little too much. This put pressure on my arms, the fore arm muscle contracts and pulls on the elbow ligament (like tennis elbow, tendonitis, etc). I was re-fitted and moved the saddle back to put more weight on my butt. But it could be different in your case; maybe the reach is off or the bars too low. Stay off the bike, ice it, take an anti-inflamatory medication and start slowly once you get fitted correctly. When you start riding again, you need to strengthen the forearm muscles and also stretch them. There are several exercises that a PT can give you. It's a VERY annoying overuse injury and takes a while to get rid of it. Don't discount it, it will get worse if you don't treat it...
Also a strong core takes pressure off your arms.

Thanks very much for the advice.
my first step now will be to find a reputable bike shop in london which will provide the fitting service?,( the bikes place of purchase does not offer this).

any one know any?

since your post i have contacted a PT and are working on a few core exercise to help generally overall.

off to the shop to get some medication.

thanks again and a big thanks to the organisers of the forum for providing a helpful service.

Id agree with the bike fit also. But do you mean to tell me you do 30km to and the 30km back home 5 days a week and you have just taken up cycling. Sounds like a bit much to me. Im surprised your knees got through it ok. Also dont forget to stretch. You can ice the elbow, you can get a support you can wear at the elbow, ice, glucosamine/condrotin/msm product, but most importantly treat it at the root, rather than bandaids.

Hello Friends....

The homeopathy remedy Ruta graveolens can help soothe a sore elbow. It is recommended taking a 6X dose every hour while your pain is severe, then three or four times a day as your condition improves. You will find Ruta graveolens in health food stores and wherever homeopathic remedies are sold.

Thanks