Sore Feet

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by warrior, Oct 8, 2003.

1. warrior

warrior New Member

After about 30 miles on my road bike (SPD pedals) I get very sore feet. The feeling is of heat, numbness, and sharp pains across the sole (above the cleats). My feet are quite broad.

I didn't want to waste lots of money on different types of shoes and cleats without seeking other experiences. If you've had similar problems what did you do to resolve it?

If it is the shoes, can anyone recommend a wide fitting road shoe.

Thanks for the help
    :)

Tags:

2. pysays

pysays New Member

Sidi offers some models in various widths, Northwave and John Luck might be worth considering. Without buying another pair of shoes, you might want to try a slightly different sock-lining. Adjusting the straps might help (loosen one, tighten another).

3. Madone

Madone New Member

THe new shimano shoes are also wide fitting, would also recommend you go for the most rigid sole you can afford (carbon being the best) this helps trasferr power and weight throu the whole of the foot not just the contact point, consider also a pedal with a bigger platform, the new dura ace, and Ultegra from shimano or the new time pedals offer some of the biggest contact areas.

4. kuvittelija

kuvittelija New Member

I had been using Shimano shoes for years until I really realized that those shoes were sized for some japanese ;) Then I found Northwave shoes and I absolutely love them, go check them out!

5. Madone

Madone New Member

True older shimano shoes were a very narrow fit, bit for the last few years they have been making a much wider shoe

6. dhk

dhk New Member

Carnac shoes have a wide toebox too; I'm using them now and find them comfortable and well-made. Suspect you'll also need to go to a wide-platform road pedal: Look works well for me.

Dan

7. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Does the pain go away after riding and removing your shoes? If it continues, that might be indicative of permanent nerve inflamation from wearing shoes that are too narrow.

Besides going to a wider shoe, you might try metatarsal pads under the insole, just behind the ball of the foot.

8. warrior

warrior New Member

Yes, the pain stoppes if I get off the bike and walk around with shoes off. It hurts at first as the foot stretches, but within five or ten minutes it feels better. However as soon as I'm back on the bike (within minutes) it hurts again.

Thanks for the advice.

My new bike (or new to me) has just arrived today. Its a Cervelo Soloist, that was used by Team CSC. It came with Look pedals so I can switch cleats first and see if that helps. While I'm not too into fashion my orange shoes will clash nicely with the colour scheme, so another good reason for new shoes.

9. Boyracir

Boyracir New Member

Warrior, I initially had similar problems with my shoes. The carbon soles left the soles of my feet quite sore. After a few days out and about on my bike, I no longer felt any pain! Give them a chance!

10. BigBalls

BigBalls New Member

11. Duckwah

Duckwah New Member

I think part of the problem is that no matter the fit of your shoes in terms of width the sole is relatively flat and this means that only a small area of your foot is in contact with the shoe

in normal shoes this is not a problem because the midsole compacts down and all of the foot ends up in contact with the inner sole

in a cycling shoe the sole s so stiff it can't mould to your foot

the only foolproof solution would be a custom moulded inner sole much like the orthotics people with collapsed arches etc wear or the custom footbeds in ski boots (and even then they only really deal with the arch)

Anyway one of my uncles who is a bit of a crazy inventor type decided to make his own footbeds for ski boots, workshoes etc out of a fairly stiff rubber.

his home made inners seem to have solved the problems he and I had with ski boots (which suffer from the same sort of stiff soles)

12. drewski

drewski New Member

i wear 8EEE shoes. as you can imagine, finding shoes that fit (even for off bike use) is a pain (literally)!

carnac shoes work for me. i might check out next northwave based on the post above.