sore girl parts

Discussion in 'Women's Cycling' started by alex_m, Jul 19, 2003.

1. alex_m

alex_m New Member

Hi,

I'm writing this for my wife. Read with interest the thread regarding numb bum. Just recently purchased a cannondale R1000 for my wife. She's just getting into cycling; however, i've been riding/racing for almost 20 years. Her bike came equipped with a 'FLik" seat and she's had trouble with sore girl parts since she started riding a few weeks ago. I've never had seat/butt issues. She was fitted on bike by shop and seat was properly positioned and leveled; however, I'm wondering if she should ride with seat in slightly nose down position or use a women's seat with cutout. I/she would appreciate any comments you might have including specific seats that folks have had success with. She's looking to begin racing next year.

Alex

Tags:

2. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Guest

It wouldn't hurt to experiment with different seat positions. Try repositioning the seat with the nose down.

3. Roquen

Roquen New Member

One thing I have tried sucessfully is also just sitting as far back on the saddle as possible and tilting the seat ever so slightly, it does take a lot of the pressure off, I don't use a cutout seat and have no dramas now that I sit back further..
    hope this helps!

4. Vo2

Vo2 New Member

Sore bum and private parts are part of cycling when you start off. Your wife must not become discouraged and should try and push through the initial discomfort. Just a few weeks in the saddle and she'll be fine.
    I've never heard of a Flik saddle. You sure it's not Fizik? The bad news is that no saddle is going to be comfort the first few times you use it.

A few tips are:
    * A saddle should not be too soft. It's a misconception that the softer the saddle the more comfortable it is.
    * Any adjustment to the saddle should be done in small steps over a period.
    * Get her a good pair of cycling shorts, specifically designed for ladies.
    * Underwear under cycling shorts are a big no-no. They have seams in all the wrong places which causes chaffing.
    * For some strange reason ladies that are new to cycling refuse to stand up out of the saddle. Teach her from the beginning to get out of the saddle every now and then.

5. Geonz

Geonz New Member

I humbly disagree I'd urge her to experiment with different saddles and different positions to find what doesn't hurt (at least on reasonably short rides). Among my cohort, we've found there's no telling what saddle will work for whom but once you've found your match it's worth the process.
    I reckon if you're looking to be competitive now's a good time as any go get used to "pushing thorugh" pain but ... there are those of us who subscribe to "no pain -- good idea" who manage to get in lots of quality riding. Those endorphins give you a major buzz when they *don't* have pain to squelch :cool:

6. annah

annah New Member

Definanly experiment with different saddles. The bike shop I got my saddle from allows you to exchange the saddle for a different one if it is no good.

I was lucky and my second saddle was(is) perfect, the difference was amazing!

Vo2 there is a difference between getting a sore bum from long rides and having your girly parts rubbed red raw from the wrong kind of saddle!!

Good luck for you wife Alex!

7. alex_m

alex_m New Member

Hi eveyone,

Thanks for the feedback. I have to agree with the majority on this one. There is of course some discomfort to be expected first few months of riding; however, the extent of pain for her was more than should be accepted. We bought a Terry butterfly based on reviews. She hasn't ridden with the terry yet, but should in a few days. I can already tell based on her complaints and seat style that this is a much better match than the flizik. Alex

8. Velvet

Velvet New Member

I'd like to vote for the selle italia octavia lady saddle. My bike came with a san marco rolls classic (blokes) and it *nearly* fitted - but just not quite. Was happy with the firmness, but needed another 1cm on the width at the back.

Most womens saddles I found were utterly wrong - too soft and padded, too wide - and never liked the idea of having my more tender parts shoved into a slit in the saddle nose, either ;-)

I did a 28 mile ride on it first off, before I even got the bike adjusted to fit me (slightly too long on the top tube/bar reach etc LOL) and was in moderate pain after - successive shorter rides just brought it back within a few miles, and I thought it was just something I had to work through - break my bum into cycling again.

Wrong.

First time out on the octavia and I *knew* I'd suffered too long with the others. A 32mile weekend before last confirmed it's the sort of saddle I could do a lot more miles on before it got way too painful - and I still don't count myself as having put in a lot of miles on the bike in the interim.

I think a lot of 'womens' saddles are made to appeal to their eyes and fingers, not to their bums, given the sheer volume of marshmallow-soft armchairs I was shown by shops.

It should not take weeks of riding before a saddle stops making your bits ache - I expect to start feeling something after 30 miles, but even if you're new to cycling (like I am) it shouldn't be painful for weeks while you 'get used to it' - if she's doing short rides of 5 miles and getting a sore bum then that saddle definitely needs changing.

Oh, and getting out the saddle is good to shift position slightly on the saddle - but as an alternative to riding seated? no way. Can cause knee problems, and there's absolutely no reason why saddle discomfort should force you out of the saddle for anything more than a quick lift, sit, wriggle, manuevre.

9. Kylie-Anne

Kylie-Anne New Member

I wouldn't go pointing the nose of the saddle down. You will be wasting energy working against gravity to keep yourself up on the saddle..which in turn will probably cause more friction. I have found that sitting further back on the saddle and standing up on the bike from time to time will prevent undue pain. Maybe opt for a shorta head stem, as most bikes are designed for guys and tend to stretch women out too much. Women tend to have shorta torsos then males of the same height, hence causing more weight on the frontal areas. One of the most important things for chicks is clean bike shorts with no underwear. Never stay in the bike shorts any longer then needed and always wash them after every ride (which should really go without saying for everyone :))

10. cyclemuse

cyclemuse New Member

I (a competitive female cyclist) have tried numerous saddles for my various bikes. I notice that geometry matters as much as friction. Geometry is affected by rider's height, weight (posture), and the cycle's top tube length, handlebar stem length, seatpost height, and finally - the width and tilt of the saddle. Friction is caused by improper cycling apparel (chamois are a must, though Andiamo! makes fines cycling underwear for underneath everyday pants) and dry skin. There are numerous skin lubrications that reduce friction and heat. Assos makes a good natural one, and Butt'r works just as well but has artificial ingredients. you can apply the lube directly to skin and/or your chamois.