Sore Knee...

frogger

Apr 24, 2006
Having been a lurker and was just inspired by the Sore elbow thread. I figure lets make it sore joint day :eek:.

I have over the past 2 weeks / few hundred kms developed a nagging sore knee. It only happens after about 40kms and is more of an ache than a sharp pain. Which, I have been told in the past that sharp pains are better. Which does not sound promissing.

But I have heard of other cyclists having trouble with the knee cap moving to one side from to much over development on one side etc etc etc.

I am just curious if anyone has had a dull ache and tried either suppliments of some kind (suggestions on brands?) or maybe has a good phsysio site related to cycling with some exercises or something.

Many thanks,

frogger said:
Having been a lurker and was just inspired by the Sore elbow thread. I figure lets make it sore joint day :eek:.

I have over the past 2 weeks / few hundred kms developed a nagging sore knee. It only happens after about 40kms and is more of an ache than a sharp pain. Which, I have been told in the past that sharp pains are better. Which does not sound promissing.

But I have heard of other cyclists having trouble with the knee cap moving to one side from to much over development on one side etc etc etc.

I am just curious if anyone has had a dull ache and tried either suppliments of some kind (suggestions on brands?) or maybe has a good phsysio site related to cycling with some exercises or something.

Many thanks,
Got enough float in your pedals?

Thanks Wheelist,

I have found loads of advice on this now due to your suggestion. Never thought that having large feet and moving around the clip position can help with pressure on the knees. Guess thats what I guess for not taking physics :D

wheelist said:
Got enough float in your pedals?

frogger said:
Thanks Wheelist,

I have found loads of advice on this now due to your suggestion. Never thought that having large feet and moving around the clip position can help with pressure on the knees. Guess thats what I guess for not taking physics :D
No problem, Frogger.

Personally I'd suggest using pedals like Time ATACs or Crank Bros Egg Beaters (my current pedals) - both have loads of float.

It's nice if you do get some knee pain to be able to twist your leg a little whilst pedalling to alleviate the pain somewhat.

I hope it gets better! :)

I have had a sore knee before. I favored it by not putting too much stress on it on the uphills. It went away. I figure the worst thing you can do is ignore it.

I know the sore knee syndrome well. In my case it was because a bike shop in a certain Blue Mountains town pulled a swifty on me and sold me a small frame instead of the large I had requested. It was actually a couple of years before I realised what had happened...the guy at the shop had removed the size sticker...having read articles about sore knees I then measured the frame and sure enough my suspicion was confirmed. The bike was fine on short rides, but about 40km into a ride the aches would start to appear. A bit late to go back and complain, so I sold the bike and bought what I really wanted all along; a Trek Y5 in large size. No more knee pain. I don't buy anything from that bike shop anymore.