Sore Knee

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Monty Montgomer, Jan 30, 2003.

  1. My right knee is getting sore. It hurts just under the kneecap. It doesn't hurt when riding or
    walking, but it does hurt when getting out of a chair and when climbing stairs.

    I'm 50 years old and have been bicycling since my early 20s. I ride a lot, over 7,000 miles last
    summer. I ride a trainer for an hour a day six days a week in the off-season.

    I have always felt that cycling doesn't hurt knees (assuming a proper fit), but I am worried. Should
    I stop riding? Am I damaging my knees?

    Thanks

    Monty

    Tags:

  2. kh6zv9

    kh6zv9 Guest

    Monty Montgomery <[email protected]> wrote:
    : My right knee is getting sore. It hurts just under the kneecap. It doesn't hurt when riding or
    : walking, but it does hurt when getting out of a chair and when climbing stairs.

    : I'm 50 years old and have been bicycling since my early 20s. I ride a lot, over 7,000 miles last
    : summer. I ride a trainer for an hour a day six days a week in the off-season.

    Your knee doesn't hurt when you ride. What does that tell you? I would recommend not climbing
    stairs. Just a thought.

    --------------------------------
    Bob Masse' [email protected]
    --------------------------------

  3. See a doctor who is knowledgeable about knee problems and about your athletic activity of choice.

    Might get a referral to a sports trainer or PT / ATC who will work with you. In my case
    strengthening the quads did the trick as did bringing my cadence up. But I ain't you, and anyone
    who would give you a diagnosis, let alone a prescribed exercise program, over UseNet is an
    ignorant quack.

    "Monty Montgomery" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My right knee is getting sore. It hurts just under the kneecap. It
    doesn't
    > hurt when riding or walking, but it does hurt when getting out of a chair and when
    > climbing stairs.
    >

    > I'm 50 years old and have been bicycling since my early 20s. I ride a
    lot,
    > over 7,000 miles last summer. I ride a trainer for an hour a day six days
    > week in the off-season.
    >

    > I have always felt that cycling doesn't hurt knees (assuming a proper
    fit),
    > but I am worried. Should I stop riding? Am I damaging my knees?
    >

    > Thanks
    >
    > Monty

  4. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Monty Montgomery" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My right knee is getting sore. It hurts just under the kneecap. It doesn't hurt when riding or
    > walking, but it does hurt when getting out of a chair and when climbing stairs.
    >

    > I'm 50 years old and have been bicycling since my early 20s. I ride a lot, over 7,000 miles last
    > summer. I ride a trainer for an hour a day six days a week in the off-season.
    >

    > I have always felt that cycling doesn't hurt knees (assuming a proper fit), but I am worried.
    > Should I stop riding? Am I damaging my knees?

    A lot of time the pain you describe comes from the kneecap not tracking properly and as a result
    irritating the tendon underneath. The common solution for this is PT with exercises like straight
    leg lifts (lie on back, legs flat, curl toes back, lift straight leg to 45 deg, lower, do other leg,
    repeat 50 - 100 times a day. If possible, see a sports med guy. If that's a problem, you could at
    least try the PT for a while & see if it helps, if it doesn't it at least should be harmless. That
    form of tendonitis can be a nuisance and take a while to clear up, it isn't a result of
    underdeveloped major muscles (as explained to me), but the little muscles which control the path the
    kneecap takes when your leg is extended.

  5. I give the PTs a try. One question, when you say "curl toes back" does that mean point them twords
    my head or away fomr my head?

    Thanks

    > A lot of time the pain you describe comes from the kneecap not tracking properly and as a result
    > irritating the tendon underneath. The common
    solution
    > for this is PT with exercises like straight leg lifts (lie on back, legs
    flat,
    > curl toes back, lift straight leg to 45 deg, lower, do other leg, repeat
    50 -
    > 100 times a day. If possible, see a sports med guy. If that's a problem,
    you
    > could at least try the PT for a while & see if it helps, if it doesn't it
    at
    > least should be harmless. That form of tendonitis can be a nuisance and
    take a
    > while to clear up, it isn't a result of underdeveloped major muscles (as explained to me), but the
    > little muscles which control the path the
    kneecap
    > takes when your leg is extended.

  6. Jim

    Jim Guest

    > Monty Montgomery <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : My right knee is getting sore. It hurts just under the kneecap. It doesn't hurt when riding or
    > : walking, but it does hurt when getting out of a chair and when climbing stairs.
    >

    > : I'm 50 years old and have been bicycling since my early 20s. I ride a lot, over 7,000 miles last
    > : summer. I ride a trainer for an hour a day six days a week in the off-season.
    >

    > Your knee doesn't hurt when you ride. What does that tell you? I would recommend not climbing
    > stairs. Just a thought.
    >

    > --------------------------------
    > Bob Masse' [email protected]
    > --------------------------------

    I had a very similar complaint I went to the doc,he told me I had tendonitis and gave me pills,I've
    been off my bike for a few months and am almost completely recovered.See your doctor.

  7. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Monty Montgomery" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I give the PTs a try. One question, when you say "curl toes back" does that mean point them twords
    > my head or away fomr my head?

    Towards your head, keep your knee locked as you lift the leg to 45 deg.

  8. Cycleops

    Cycleops Guest

    Monty Could be early osteoarthritis on the articular surface of the patella. See your family doc and
    get a referal to an orthopaedic surgeon. Don't let it go unchecked. Good Luck Jeff

    Monty Montgomery wrote:

    > My right knee is getting sore. It hurts just under the kneecap. It doesn't hurt when riding or
    > walking, but it does hurt when getting out of a chair and when climbing stairs.
    >

    > I'm 50 years old and have been bicycling since my early 20s. I ride a lot, over 7,000 miles last
    > summer. I ride a trainer for an hour a day six days a week in the off-season.
    >

    > I have always felt that cycling doesn't hurt knees (assuming a proper fit), but I am worried.
    > Should I stop riding? Am I damaging my knees?
    >

    > Thanks
    >
    > Monty

  9. On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:36:20 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, "Monty Montgomery"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have always felt that cycling doesn't hurt knees (assuming a proper fit), but I am worried.
    > Should I stop riding? Am I damaging my knees?

    SEE YOUR DOCTOR. duh.

    newsgroups are the worst possible place to get medical advice.

  10. Mister

    Mister Guest

    [email protected] (Dennis P. Harris) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:36:20 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, "Monty Montgomery"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I have always felt that cycling doesn't hurt knees (assuming a proper fit), but I am worried.
    > > Should I stop riding? Am I damaging my knees?
    > >
    > SEE YOUR DOCTOR. duh.
    >
    > newsgroups are the worst possible place to get medical advice.
    I guess they're good places for you to meet your boyfriends.I mentioned this because in my case self
    diagnosis and treatment were ineffective,but don't let that stop you from revealing your ignorance.