Sore Knee

Monty Montgomer

Guest
My right knee is getting sore. It hurts just under the kneecap. It doesn't hurt when riding or
walking, but it does hurt when getting out of a chair and when climbing stairs.

I'm 50 years old and have been bicycling since my early 20s. I ride a lot, over 7,000 miles last
summer. I ride a trainer for an hour a day six days a week in the off-season.

I have always felt that cycling doesn't hurt knees (assuming a proper fit), but I am worried. Should
I stop riding? Am I damaging my knees?

Thanks

Monty

Monty Montgomery <[email protected]> wrote:
: My right knee is getting sore. It hurts just under the kneecap. It doesn't hurt when riding or
: walking, but it does hurt when getting out of a chair and when climbing stairs.

: I'm 50 years old and have been bicycling since my early 20s. I ride a lot, over 7,000 miles last
: summer. I ride a trainer for an hour a day six days a week in the off-season.

Your knee doesn't hurt when you ride. What does that tell you? I would recommend not climbing
stairs. Just a thought.

--------------------------------
Bob Masse' [email protected]
--------------------------------

See a doctor who is knowledgeable about knee problems and about your athletic activity of choice.

Might get a referral to a sports trainer or PT / ATC who will work with you. In my case
strengthening the quads did the trick as did bringing my cadence up. But I ain't you, and anyone
who would give you a diagnosis, let alone a prescribed exercise program, over UseNet is an
ignorant quack.

"Monty Montgomery" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My right knee is getting sore. It hurts just under the kneecap. It
doesn't
> hurt when riding or walking, but it does hurt when getting out of a chair and when
> climbing stairs.
>

> I'm 50 years old and have been bicycling since my early 20s. I ride a
lot,
> over 7,000 miles last summer. I ride a trainer for an hour a day six days
> week in the off-season.
>

> I have always felt that cycling doesn't hurt knees (assuming a proper
fit),
> but I am worried. Should I stop riding? Am I damaging my knees?
>

> Thanks
>
> Monty

"Monty Montgomery" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My right knee is getting sore. It hurts just under the kneecap. It doesn't hurt when riding or
> walking, but it does hurt when getting out of a chair and when climbing stairs.
>

> I'm 50 years old and have been bicycling since my early 20s. I ride a lot, over 7,000 miles last
> summer. I ride a trainer for an hour a day six days a week in the off-season.
>

> I have always felt that cycling doesn't hurt knees (assuming a proper fit), but I am worried.
> Should I stop riding? Am I damaging my knees?

A lot of time the pain you describe comes from the kneecap not tracking properly and as a result
irritating the tendon underneath. The common solution for this is PT with exercises like straight
leg lifts (lie on back, legs flat, curl toes back, lift straight leg to 45 deg, lower, do other leg,
repeat 50 - 100 times a day. If possible, see a sports med guy. If that's a problem, you could at
least try the PT for a while & see if it helps, if it doesn't it at least should be harmless. That
form of tendonitis can be a nuisance and take a while to clear up, it isn't a result of
underdeveloped major muscles (as explained to me), but the little muscles which control the path the
kneecap takes when your leg is extended.

I give the PTs a try. One question, when you say "curl toes back" does that mean point them twords
my head or away fomr my head?

Thanks

> A lot of time the pain you describe comes from the kneecap not tracking properly and as a result
> irritating the tendon underneath. The common
solution
> for this is PT with exercises like straight leg lifts (lie on back, legs
flat,
> curl toes back, lift straight leg to 45 deg, lower, do other leg, repeat
50 -
> 100 times a day. If possible, see a sports med guy. If that's a problem,
you
> could at least try the PT for a while & see if it helps, if it doesn't it
at
> least should be harmless. That form of tendonitis can be a nuisance and
take a
> while to clear up, it isn't a result of underdeveloped major muscles (as explained to me), but the
> little muscles which control the path the
kneecap
> takes when your leg is extended.

> Monty Montgomery <[email protected]> wrote:
> : My right knee is getting sore. It hurts just under the kneecap. It doesn't hurt when riding or
> : walking, but it does hurt when getting out of a chair and when climbing stairs.
>

> : I'm 50 years old and have been bicycling since my early 20s. I ride a lot, over 7,000 miles last
> : summer. I ride a trainer for an hour a day six days a week in the off-season.
>

> Your knee doesn't hurt when you ride. What does that tell you? I would recommend not climbing
> stairs. Just a thought.
>

> --------------------------------
> Bob Masse' [email protected]
> --------------------------------

I had a very similar complaint I went to the doc,he told me I had tendonitis and gave me pills,I've
been off my bike for a few months and am almost completely recovered.See your doctor.

"Monty Montgomery" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I give the PTs a try. One question, when you say "curl toes back" does that mean point them twords
> my head or away fomr my head?

Towards your head, keep your knee locked as you lift the leg to 45 deg.

Monty Could be early osteoarthritis on the articular surface of the patella. See your family doc and
get a referal to an orthopaedic surgeon. Don't let it go unchecked. Good Luck Jeff

Monty Montgomery wrote:

> My right knee is getting sore. It hurts just under the kneecap. It doesn't hurt when riding or
> walking, but it does hurt when getting out of a chair and when climbing stairs.
>

> I'm 50 years old and have been bicycling since my early 20s. I ride a lot, over 7,000 miles last
> summer. I ride a trainer for an hour a day six days a week in the off-season.
>

> I have always felt that cycling doesn't hurt knees (assuming a proper fit), but I am worried.
> Should I stop riding? Am I damaging my knees?
>

> Thanks
>
> Monty

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:36:20 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, "Monty Montgomery"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I have always felt that cycling doesn't hurt knees (assuming a proper fit), but I am worried.
> Should I stop riding? Am I damaging my knees?

SEE YOUR DOCTOR. duh.

newsgroups are the worst possible place to get medical advice.

[email protected] (Dennis P. Harris) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:36:20 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, "Monty Montgomery"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I have always felt that cycling doesn't hurt knees (assuming a proper fit), but I am worried.
> > Should I stop riding? Am I damaging my knees?
> >
> SEE YOUR DOCTOR. duh.
>
> newsgroups are the worst possible place to get medical advice.
I guess they're good places for you to meet your boyfriends.I mentioned this because in my case self
diagnosis and treatment were ineffective,but don't let that stop you from revealing your ignorance.