Sore knees

Hank Yolanda

Guest
I get sore knees often, I take Glucosomine ? everyday, but still get sore
knee's, and I don't enjoy my riding with the pain.
Any tips to try to reduce the knee pain ?

Hank Yolanda wrote:
> I get sore knees often, I take Glucosomine ? everyday, but still get sore
> knee's, and I don't enjoy my riding with the pain.
> Any tips to try to reduce the knee pain ?

Have you checked out the saddle height, crank length, gearing? What type
of riding do you do? Are you a spinner or a grinder? Do you "pull" on
the pedals when in a standing climb?

Zoom

I beleive my setup is ok.
I have a road bike.
I am a spinner I guess.
news:[email protected]...

Hank Yolanda wrote:

> I get sore knees often, I take Glucosomine ? everyday, but
> still get sore knee's, and I don't enjoy my riding with the
> pain. Any tips to try to reduce the knee pain ?

After a decade or so without cycling (a protest against
compulsory helmets), I bought a helmet about 3 years ago and
presently ride up to 10,000 km per year.

I had sore knees before I retook to cycling, and have been
taking both glucosomine and lyprinol daily for years. I found
that small differences in seat adjustment can have a big effect
in knee and ankle comfort, but you might need to persevere with
a change of position for a few days until your body adjusts.

My knee pain has been totally absent now for a couple of years.

John

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 00:24:17 +1000, John Henderson wrote:

> After a decade or so without cycling (a protest against
> compulsory helmets)

A protest which inconvenienced and deprived no-one
except yourself :)

Michael Warner wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 00:24:17 +1000, John Henderson wrote:
>
>> After a decade or so without cycling (a protest against
>> compulsory helmets)

> A protest which inconvenienced and deprived no-one
> except yourself :)

That's my decision, and I continue to be happy with it. Your
assumption that no-one except myself was deprived is false
anyway. Sales of bikes and parts were affected, and I was a
greater burden on the transport and health systems.

I found out long ago that if you want to change the world,
you've got to start with yourself.

John

I suffered something similar about 8 years ago. Went to the doc and he
prescribed anti-inflammatory drugs which nearly killed me. Gave those away
after just one tablet so then he suggested some simple but very effective
exercises which I still do today. I've had no knee pain for the whole time
since. I don't think it was my setup.

Exercises:
1. With upper leg at right angles to torso, slowly lift lower leg until
striaght (i.e. you whole leg should be sticking right out in front of you).
Hold for a few seconds then slowly lower your lower leg. Repeat at least 5
times. Switch to other leg.

2. With both feet on the floor, slowly lift one so that your lower leg is
at right angles and foot behind you (I'd hate to see if you could do this
one without your foot behind you!). Hold for a few seconds then lower.
Repeat 5 times. Switch to other leg.

Takes a couple of minutes and is not difficult or stressful. I think it
strenghtens some of the muscles around the knee.

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

"Zoom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hank Yolanda wrote:
> > I get sore knees often, I take Glucosomine ? everyday, but still get

sore
> > knee's, and I don't enjoy my riding with the pain.
> > Any tips to try to reduce the knee pain ?
> >

> Have you checked out the saddle height, crank length, gearing? What type
> of riding do you do? Are you a spinner or a grinder? Do you "pull" on
> the pedals when in a standing climb?
>

> Zoom

No, if you've just started a helmet/no helmet debate, we'll all be
affected...

Hank Yolanda wrote:

> I get sore knees often, I take Glucosomine ? everyday, but still get sore
> knee's, and I don't enjoy my riding with the pain.
> Any tips to try to reduce the knee pain ?

There are hundreds of reasons that could cause this, some of them even
unrelated to your cycling. Is it inside the joint? Is it to the front or
back, outside or inside of the knee, above or below it? Is it sharp or
dull pain? Glucosamine is really on expected to work for specific joint
capsular problems, and scientific studies are limited.

See a sports physio or podiatrist about it.

Tam

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> There are hundreds of reasons that could cause this, some of them even
> unrelated to your cycling. Is it inside the joint? Is it to the front or
> back, outside or inside of the knee, above or below it? Is it sharp or
> dull pain? Glucosamine is really on expected to work for specific joint
> capsular problems, and scientific studies are limited.
>
> See a sports physio or podiatrist about it.
>
> Tam

No way, all the resources you need are on the Internet. Sports physio,
podiatrist, GP - they're all redundant. They'll only look it up on the
Internet anyway.

DaveB "stressful week, weekend is nigh, feeling stupid"

DaveB wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
> > There are hundreds of reasons that could cause this, some of them even
> > unrelated to your cycling. Is it inside the joint? Is it to the front or
> > back, outside or inside of the knee, above or below it? Is it sharp or
> > dull pain? Glucosamine is really on expected to work for specific joint
> > capsular problems, and scientific studies are limited.
> >
> > See a sports physio or podiatrist about it.
> >
> > Tam

> No way, all the resources you need are on the Internet. Sports physio,
> podiatrist, GP - they're all redundant. They'll only look it up on the
> Internet anyway.
>
> DaveB "stressful week, weekend is nigh, feeling stupid"

If only GP's WOULD look things up on the internet, instead of just
assuming you've got a virus... :S

Podiatrists/physios are only redundant if you're smart enough to
correctly sort and interpret the information on the internet. Which
probably applies to less than 10% of people who get the information off
the internet. ;)

Tam

Hank,

You haven't described what sort of knee pain you're experiencing, which
means the only advice anyone can give you is to go and see a physio.

And if you do describe accuratly what sort of pain you're experiencing,
the only safe advice anyone here can give you is to spin a decent
cadence (85rpm+), make sure your seat height isn't causing the pain,
and to go see a bike fit expert (eg John Beasley, John Kennedy etc if
you're in Melbourne), and/or go see a physio.

On 2005-07-29, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
> DaveB wrote:
>> No way, all the resources you need are on the Internet. Sports physio,
>> podiatrist, GP - they're all redundant. They'll only look it up on the
>> Internet anyway.

> If only GP's WOULD look things up on the internet, instead of just
> assuming you've got a virus... :S

And then prescribing antibiotics ...

Hank Yolanda wrote:
> I beleive my setup is ok.
> I have a road bike.
> I am a spinner I guess.

Don't guess. Cadence please?

DaveB wrote:

> No way, all the resources you need are on the Internet. Sports physio,
> podiatrist, GP - they're all redundant. They'll only look it up on the
> Internet anyway.

Am I the only one to notice that quacks of any sort, who are also
cyclists (the lycra and "racing" bike type) are actually woefully
ignorant of any real knowledge of bicycling and its effects?

blah wrote:

> No, if you've just started a helmet/no helmet debate, we'll
> all be affected...

Sorry.

John

DaveB wrote:
> Tamyka Bell wrote:
>
>> There are hundreds of reasons that could cause this, some of them even
>> unrelated to your cycling. Is it inside the joint? Is it to the front or
>> back, outside or inside of the knee, above or below it? Is it sharp or
>> dull pain? Glucosamine is really on expected to work for specific joint
>> capsular problems, and scientific studies are limited.
>>
>> See a sports physio or podiatrist about it.
>>
>> Tam

THe clasic one.. is seat too low.. Worth mentioning.. How often do you
see that one?

Knee soreness? What kind of knee soreness? What is wrong with you, and how it is fixed all depend on who you speak to.

Physio: stretches
Doctor: surgery
Bike shop: fit

My knees arent the best but ive been stretching which has helped. Saw a doctor totday and he was saying you cant stretch this particular part, and there is some surgery where they slice the band up to release the pressure.

You get the distinct impression that they fix things with whatever tools are available (to their trade), and perhaps they arent always the best =\

till

till! said:
Knee soreness? What kind of knee soreness? What is wrong with you, and how it is fixed all depend on who you speak to.

Physio: stretches
Doctor: surgery
Bike shop: fit

My knees arent the best but ive been stretching which has helped. Saw a doctor totday and he was saying you cant stretch this particular part, and there is some surgery where they slice the band up to release the pressure.

You get the distinct impression that they fix things with whatever tools are available (to their trade), and perhaps they arent always the best =\

till
Better not ask any carpenters. Hammers and knees dont mix well.:D

I sometimes have a knee (in the front of the left) and an ankle (right inside) which makes me think that they are related.

However, I dont experience the ankle problem when putting is some hard work and the knee problem only shows up in a hard effort. But I can go for weeks without a problem and then bam, all over red rover.

I havent had professional bike setup(have been meaning to for a long time) and I also have a feeling I need to adjust my left cleat.

To throw something else in I can go for a thrash in the bush on my SS and have no probs

Terry Collins <[email protected]> wrote:
> DaveB wrote:
>
>> No way, all the resources you need are on the Internet. Sports physio,
>> podiatrist, GP - they're all redundant. They'll only look it up on the
>> Internet anyway.

> Am I the only one to notice that quacks of any sort, who are also
> cyclists (the lycra and "racing" bike type) are actually woefully
> ignorant of any real knowledge of bicycling and its effects?

Am I the only one to notice that quacks of any sort, who are also
cyclists (the Dunlop Volley, boardshort and "mountain" bike type)
are actually woefully ignorant of any real knowledge of bicycling
and its effects?

;)

--
..dt
1996 Diamond Back 'Expert Tg' Roadie (7spd DT shifters, favourite bike!)