Sore Leg Cgaffs

Ssushi

Mar 21, 2003
I'm suffering from chaffing (the removal of healthy skin) from my legs during 50-120km rides. These might be a dumb questions but...

a) Are you supposed to go "commando" with cycling shorts (no pants)?

b) Is there some kind of lubricant available to prevent the rubbing?

Ta in advance

Ssushi

a) Yep, commando is the way to go. Jocks are a definite no-no.
Get yourself a good pair of cycling shorts. Don't buy el-cheapo shorts.

b) You can use some form of lube, but if you have bad or ill-fitting shorts, or if you wear jocks, the lube ain't gonna help much.

Ta for that Vo2, I have quality gear so I don't think it's that. My mate was asking if it could have been my legs rubbing on my seat, maybe so - need to check on the bike tonight.

Ssushi

Don't forget to shave your legs. Vasoline helps as a lub, particularly when the weather is wet. Otherwise try some lub made specificaly for going in shorts. Oh, never wear your shorts for more than 1 ride without a wash.

I use chamois cream. This can go straight onto the shorts, but I tend to apply it straight to the tops of my legs before cycling any distance greater than 10 miles. Its available from most good cycling outlets and seems to do the trick.

I use chamois cream. This can go straight onto the shorts, but I tend to apply it straight to the tops of my legs before cycling any distance greater than 10 miles. Its available from most good cycling outlets and seems to do the trick.

I managed to establish over the w/e that the cause is my chamois rubbing on my leg, I'll look for some chamois cream it that doesn't work I'll have to moddify the chamois a bit I think.

Thanks for the idea.

Ssushi