Sore neck?!?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by tyboy, Jun 6, 2007.

1. tyboy

tyboy New Member

I always get a sore neck and back on over 10 mile rides. I was wondering what everyone else does to prevent it.:confused:

Tags:

2. sogood

sogood New Member

If you don't have existing health/back problems, then just ride more. The appropriate muscles will get strengthened and adapt to the new posture.

Or, the fit of your bike is so poor that you should get someone who knows to take a look.

3. Xsmoker

Xsmoker New Member

Assuming you have the correct bike fit, concentrate on relaxing your shoulders while riding, stretch on the bike, stand once in awhile, do core strengthing exercises.

4. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

+1. Also, you should consider shortening a ride if you have an onset of a sore neck. In addition to core strengthening exercises, you should look into neck strengthening stuff and neck stretching.

5. rdr0912

rdr0912 New Member

when I started riding again after a long hitius, I noticed this problem too. All I did was try not to look up for as long when I was on the drops. If I noticed that I was doing this, I would either move to the brake hoods or a bit or like someone else said, get out of the saddle for a few minutes. Granted if you are cruising, you are going to loose some speed due to worse aerodynamics and more drag...that is something you will have to weigh the options on. In general though, I have found that just taking some breaks every few minutes helps over the course of a ride longer than about 45 minutes or so.
    Hope this helps

6. Archibald

Archibald New Member

+2
    definately move about on the bike and keep your shoulders, neck n arms relaxed.
    i have existing spinal issues from an accident about 5years ago, and i almost never stay still on the bike - makes a massive difference.

7. Tackdriver56

Tackdriver56 New Member

Get Bent!
    I started having problems from cycling when I entered my 30's, with numb hands, numb dick, stiff neck. All those problems were relieved when I gave up the DF (diamond frame) and switched to recumbents. I found the LWB (long wheel base) variety easiest to learn, but now own a SWB as well.

Try a RANS Stratus or Easy Racers Tour Easy. It may feel squirrely at first, but they are really comfortable. I do frequent rides in the 40 mile range, with no problems.

TackDriver

8. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Why should he? Numb dick is a fit problem. Numb hands and stiff neck can either be fit or fitness issues. Maybe he doesn't want to ride a bent. Maybe he actually likes his diamond frame.

9. kspangler

kspangler New Member

Try working on your core. You can find a lot of exercises on-line or at your local gym. There's been a lot written on core training...and of course you have good and bad comments. But, my experience is positive. If you build up your core muscles you'll see and feel a difference.

The bike fit is extremely important in my opinion. I gave in to the bike fit when I started riding 40 miles and more. The bike fit found that my bike's handle bars were to wide, the frame was too long and my seatpost was top high. The answer for me was to upgrade my bike, but I could have decided on making whatever adjustments I could to make the old bike comfortable.

Good luck. Don't give up.