sore palms after riding

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Windowsnt, May 27, 2003.

  1. Windowsnt

    Windowsnt Guest

    It's been a few years since I've ridden a bike. I started again recently, and after about 30 minutes
    of road riding on a MTB, the lower part of my palms start to get sore. Is this normal for someone
    who hasn't ridden in a while and will it stop after a few weeks ? I'm pretty sure the bicycle fits
    me fine. Everything else is comfortable.

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    windowsNT <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > It's been a few years since I've ridden a bike. I started again recently, and after about 30
    > minutes of road riding on a MTB, the lower part of my palms start to get sore. Is this normal for
    > someone who hasn't ridden in a while and will it stop after a few weeks ? I'm pretty sure the
    > bicycle fits me fine. Everything else is comfortable.

    Are you wearing gloves?

    Avoid bending your wrists; instead bend your elbows and waist..

  3. Waxxer

    Waxxer Guest

    Absolutely! I notice the same when I have not ridden for a while. Wear a good padded glove and keep
    changing your hand position.

    It will go away with more frequent riding--like anything else.

    "windowsNT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It's been a few years since I've ridden a bike. I started again recently, and after about 30
    > minutes of road riding on a MTB, the lower part of my palms start to get sore. Is this normal for
    > someone who hasn't ridden in a while and will it stop after a few weeks ? I'm pretty sure the
    > bicycle fits me fine. Everything else is comfortable.

  4. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Wed, 28 May 2003 00:27:42 +0000 (UTC), Ken <[email protected]> wrote:

    >windowsNT <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >> It's been a few years since I've ridden a bike. I started again recently, and after about 30
    >> minutes of road riding on a MTB, the lower part of my palms start to get sore. Is this normal for
    >> someone who hasn't ridden in a while and will it stop after a few weeks ? I'm pretty sure the
    >> bicycle fits me fine. Everything else is comfortable.
    >
    >Are you wearing gloves?
    >
    >Avoid bending your wrists; instead bend your elbows and waist..

    Agreed. Most mountain bikes appear to have the brake levers rotated to '8 o'clock' or 'later'
    (pointing forward) if you look at the bike from the left side. This causes you to roll the wrists
    and forearms toward you and down to use the brakes. When I position the brake levers closer to '7
    o'clock' or 'earlier,' (pointing almost at the ground)I get less palm pressure. Experiment with
    this. Usually a 5mm allen wrench will be the tool for this adjustment.

  5. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Wed, 28 May 2003 00:27:02 GMT, <[email protected]>, windowsNT
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It's been a few years since I've ridden a bike. I started again recently, and after about 30
    >minutes of road riding on a MTB, the lower part of my palms start to get sore. Is this normal for
    >someone who hasn't ridden in a while and will it stop after a few weeks ? I'm pretty sure the
    >bicycle fits me fine. Everything else is comfortable.

    Numbness is a concern if it continues after you're off the bike.
    --
    zk

  6. Windowsnt

    Windowsnt Guest

    On Tue, 27 May 2003 19:19:39 -0700, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Wed, 28 May 2003 00:27:02 GMT, <[email protected]>, windowsNT
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>It's been a few years since I've ridden a bike. I started again recently, and after about 30
    >>minutes of road riding on a MTB, the lower part of my palms start to get sore. Is this normal for
    >>someone who hasn't ridden in a while and will it stop after a few weeks ? I'm pretty sure the
    >>bicycle fits me fine. Everything else is comfortable.
    >
    >Numbness is a concern if it continues after you're off the bike.

    I don't really notice any numbness, and most of it stops after I am off the bike for a few minutes.
    I think I am going to give it a few weeks, and maybe even get some padded gloves.

  7. Finally, someone mentioned in plain terms that the presta valve needs a pump fitting that is of a
    different size and configuration than what is used for a Schraeder valve. Most good pumps have
    either two heads, one for each type or a reversable inner part to shift. I thought this was worth
    repeating at the top of a short message, so it would be noted.

    Steve McDonald

  8. "windowsNT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It's been a few years since I've ridden a bike. I started again recently, and after about 30
    > minutes of road riding on a MTB, the lower part of my palms start to get sore. Is this normal for
    > someone who hasn't ridden in a while and will it stop after a few weeks ? I'm pretty sure the
    > bicycle fits me fine. Everything else is comfortable.

    Personally flat bars don't do it for me, I much prefer drop bars where I can use many different
    positions. I find relief from wrist and palm pressure when my weight is not on my palms. Hands on
    the hoods is my most used position.

    Two fit elements that lessen the weight on your hands: changing your stem such that the bars are
    higher and/or closer. Make sure your seat fore/aft is not way forward. (with your feet on the
    pedals, pedal arms are parallel to the ground, a plum line from just below your knee cap should fall
    in line with the forward foots pedal spindle, back a little from there is better than forward in
    relation to the weight distribution on your hands)

  9. I average about 40 miles a day and often, part of it is hard, uphill riding. That's when you really
    put pressure on your hands and they can get sore or numb. I resolved most of this problem, by
    installing the thick, black, foamy type of rubber grips. They are soft, but I still have full
    control and they last about a year, before they start splitting. I usually put them on both the
    upper and lower hand positions. I get them in packs of four at bike accessory racks for about $5.
    Sometimes, even department stores carry them. The type I use are made of closed-cell foam, so they
    don't absorb moisture. I also use these same foam-rubber sections on all the handgrips for my
    videocamera shoulder-mount rigs.

    Steve McDonald

  10. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Wed, 28 May 2003 02:44:57 GMT, <[email protected]>, windowsNT
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>Numbness is a concern if it continues after you're off the bike.
    >
    >I don't really notice any numbness, and most of it stops after I am off the bike for a few minutes.
    >I think I am going to give it a few weeks, and maybe even get some padded gloves.

    Yeah, it's probably just a matter of conditioning. Maybe think about relaxing your grip from time to
    time. Gloves will cut the vibration.
    --
    zk

  11. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On Wed, 28 May 2003 00:31:54 -0700, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> from Balsa Pacific Aero Ltd.
    Engineering & Bicycle Mongery wrote:

    >Wed, 28 May 2003 02:44:57 GMT, <[email protected]>, windowsNT
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>>Numbness is a concern if it continues after you're off the bike.
    >>
    >>I don't really notice any numbness, and most of it stops after I am off the bike for a few
    >>minutes. I think I am going to give it a few weeks, and maybe even get some padded gloves.
    >
    >Yeah, it's probably just a matter of conditioning. Maybe think about relaxing your grip from time
    >to time. Gloves will cut the vibration.

    I much prefer riding without gloves in the summer. Frequent hand position changes and good cork tape
    are enough cushioning for me. Gloves and socks both annoy me when the temp is over 85 or so.

    --
    http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I have accepted Provolone into my life!
    12:56:51 PM 28 May 2003