sore shoulders - HELP!!!!!

clonsingle

May 30, 2005
When I'm out for a long spin (+70miles) the middle part of my right shoulder gets very sore, does anyone have any tips on how to stop this?, could it be due to incorrect saddle or handlebar height?
This is starting to take from the enjoyment of the cycle :(

clonsingle said:
When I'm out for a long spin (+70miles) the middle part of my right shoulder gets very sore, does anyone have any tips on how to stop this?, could it be due to incorrect saddle or handlebar height?

You could try raising the height of the handlebars if they´re very low - the modern fashion is to have them very low compared to older times - or just working out a bit in the gym to strenthen your back/shoulder muscles as you seem to be taking more weight on your right side than left ( right handed ? )

Handlebar width can have an effect - the rule is " same width as your shoulders " ( for racing anyway ) but 2cm wider is usually more comfortable for touring or just fun riding : could even be the stem is the wrong lenght - theory says that your nose should be above the bar when on the drops but you´lll need help with the plumbline and theory is often only a starting point for a " personalised " fit ( how often when you buy a suit do you take it straight to be altered ? )

It´s unlikely to be a saddle issue unless the saddle is tilted down , forcing more weight onto your hands - don´t mess with the seat height / distance as that could just open a large can of worms .

nb : only make ONE change at a time as you´ll never know what works ( or more importantly doesn´t ) if you do more than one change at a time .

clonsingle said:

I had the same problem and discussed it at length in a different thread. Go to the bottom of the 1st page and you'll see a description of a stretch that has helped me a lot. http://www.cyclingforums.com/t74165-.html. Long and hard (particularly fast or very very hilly- or both) rides can still make it hurt a bit, but it is sooo much better and I am hoping it will go away completely after a while.