Sore wrists after a 80k run on mtb.

Gearoid

Feb 11, 2005
Was out on a run yesterday.And About 10k from the end my wrists where sore and numb.To the point I have no power to really hold on to the bars. Now i have been doing 70k runs each Saturday and Sunday.And 30k a day monday to friday and got no pain. But yesterday I went out on a different route 60k flat 20k mountain.and I was dying .lol any tips or hits lads and ladie's. Looking to do 260k cycle in a few weeks Dubling to shanon habour and back by following the Grand canal. Its mostly a flat run. over road,grass,gravel. Did my 15k this morning and wrist still alittle sore. Will that is easy on the 15k trip home.

Gearoid said:
Was out on a run yesterday.And About 10k from the end my wrists where sore and numb.To the point I have no power to really hold on to the bars. Now i have been doing 70k runs each Saturday and Sunday.And 30k a day monday to friday and got no pain. But yesterday I went out on a different route 60k flat 20k mountain.and I was dying .lol any tips or hits lads and ladie's. Looking to do 260k cycle in a few weeks Dubling to shanon habour and back by following the Grand canal. Its mostly a flat run. over road,grass,gravel. Did my 15k this morning and wrist still alittle sore. Will that is easy on the 15k trip home.
Two products which could help: cycling gloves with some padding on the palms (also good if you happen to fall) and also handlebar extensions are useful- i had exactly the same problem as you until i spent about $50AUD on these two products. Make sure that your tyres are pumped up enough, and if necessary, you could try moving the shifter/brake lever units slightly so that your hands are in a more comfortable position while you ride.

For the last year I rode my mountain bike on the trails and roads and have always had some wrist/hand discomfort. I've got padded gloves, bar ends, but after a long ride I still have some pain. Recently I purchased a road bike and have to say I now have no pains. I think this is due to having more hand positions with drop bars as well as a more balanced position on the bike; so my weight is distributed better between my butt and hands. This was really clear when I went back to my mountain bike after lot's of road, I noticed that I feel like I'm forced on the bars, as well they're too upright.

So the answer...make sure the fit of your bike is good for you and make the necessary adjustments until you have no pain.

Hi,

I am a MTB rider as well.
I had 2 MTB bikes that were the same exact brand and size ,stem height etc...
One had lower end parts onit and was 2lbs heavier that I used for training and it had aluminum flat bars that would hurt my wrist so bad while the other one that I have setup just for racing had carbon fiber flat bars that never hurt my wrist.
I have since went to carbon fiber bars on both bikes and my wrists are fine. :)

Saddle position can also affect your wrists. I don't know what adjustments help, never having had issues myself, but you could look into it.

Other than that, gloves with good palm padding, bar ends, and anything else that allows you to vary your hand and wrist position.

I've also upgraded the saddle of my MTB- the saddle on my GIANT Boulder MTB didn't do it for me, so a Selle Italia MTB saddle, at about AUD$50 (US$35ish) was in order- it's absolutely brilliant for off-road, commuting, fitness training rides etc. Adjusting the tightness of the toe-clip straps, so that they are loose enough to allow some freedom of movement (left-right 'yaw') for your feet, will help to prevent Repetetive Strain Injuries in your ankles and knees. Make sure also that the seatpost is at the appropriate height etc.
Also, if you're not actually racing on your 80km run, make sure to do some stretches during the ride- i can do them while moving, but it's not at all the safest activity i ever partake in. Try stopping after 15km, have a stretch- that'll help your neck, shoulders and lower back, and you'll probably feel much better at the end of the ride than you would otherwise.
Hang in there and enjoy the cycling!