soreness...

ScottCR1TeaM

Apr 24, 2010
I started road cycling a week ago and am now beginning to get used to the saddle, but now i'm getting a new soreness:mad:

How long does it take for my neck to stop being sore? Since I got my bike i've gone biking several times...today being the longest ride at 24miles. And today being the most sore my neck has gotten, given the longer ride than other days i'm assuming.

What are some tips to decrease the soreness if any? Is it something I could be doing wrong while i'm riding? Or is it just something that I need to get used to?

Thanks for any advice

Is your bike fitted properly?

Remember, there is always an adaptation period to new activity.

Wlfdg said:
Is your bike fitted properly?

Remember, there is always an adaptation period to new activity.

Yes, i'm fitted properly. The day I bought my bike I was there for few hours. And ya, you're right about having to adapt. Guess there are different muscle groups used in all sports lol. I tend to forget that. I know the first time I go snowboarding for the season, my whole body is sore even though i'd be in the middle of a good lifting regime.

I go though the neck soreness thing every Spring, usually after 3 to 4 weeks or so I don't notice it anymore....it takes a bit longer as I get older.

If you're still young and your bike is fitted properly as you indicated, then you'll get over that soreness pretty soon.

64Paramount said:
I go though the neck soreness thing every Spring, usually after 3 to 4 weeks or so I don't notice it anymore....it takes a bit longer as I get older.

If you're still young and your bike is fitted properly as you indicated, then you'll get over that soreness pretty soon.

well, I got over that pretty quick. Yesterday I was in the saddle for roughly 2 hours 30 mins on a 40 mile ride. It was an awesome day and road half of Utah Lake and my neck feels just fine.

Adaptation at its finest:D

ScottCR1TeaM said:
well, I got over that pretty quick. Yesterday I was in the saddle for roughly 2 hours 30 mins on a 40 mile ride. It was an awesome day and road half of Utah Lake and my neck feels just fine.

Adaptation at its finest:D

Good deal! :cool:

This is a rather common neck/shoulder muscle cramp from cycling. Riding in the drops puts the arms, shoulders and back in a position that is not customary the rest of the time. Take advantage of the three primary positions available for riding a road bike:
(1) hands on the top of the handlebar (when cycling casually)
(2) hands on top of the brakes (more forward, can be used in casual or speed situations)
(3) hand in the drops (mostly for downhill and speed-play)

Shift frequently from one position to another so that you don't stress the muscles and get cramps. Also remember to stretch these muscles a bit while riding. Advil helps too.

Gordon Harris
Bike New England