General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Sorry - another GPS question

Started by Michael S · · Last activity · 112 posts · 2,801 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
17 May 2004
Last activity
19 June 2004
Original author
Michael S
Posts
112
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,801
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–80 of 112
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "KRO" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Come on then - what's the steering wheel for? I don't
    envisage you playing Grand Theft Auto!

    Its for when Paul is doing his 'fly through' when using his
    Anquet/Memory Map software ;o)

    Regards, Paul

    Paul Rose Middlesbrough, England, U.K.

  2. Paul Rooney said:
    Quoted message said:

    Some of us object to paying twice for the same thing.

    Ha ha! I could pay for that many multiples of twice without
    feeling objetionable!


    Is that a riddle wrapped in an enigma, or merely cryptic?

  3. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So the 76 series looks to be the best.

    The Map 76S has only 24MB and the plain 76 has 8MB so it
    depends how you define best.

    Quoted message said:

    The 60 series are lighter, smaller and have better spec
    (e.g. 256 colour screens as opposed to 4 grey) and better
    battery life. They are the new kids on the block and they
    are UGLY :-(

    I was talking about the 76C and 76CS, did you miss those?
    They have 115 meg of memory, plus 256 colours. They are the
    best new kids and cost more than the 60 series.

    Paul
    --
    wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.uk
    wildwales.fsnet.co.ukwildwales.fsnet.co.uk
    photosig.comuserphotos

  4. Jeez! So you're a bit of a "simulation" fan
    then.............. I just stick to first person shooters,
    tremendously satisfying and am waiting the release of Half-
    Life 2. When does the mid-life crisis start?

    KRO

  5. Chris proteus1@gmxDOTnet said:
    Paul Rooney said:
    Quoted message said:

    Some of us object to paying twice for the same thing.

    Ha ha! I could pay for that many multiples of twice
    without feeling objetionable!


    Is that a riddle wrapped in an enigma, or merely cryptic?

    Drunken drivel (-:

    --

    Paul

    My Lake District walking site:

    paulrooney.netfirms.compaulrooney.netfirms.com

  6. Quoted message said:

    Sorry, yes I did miss those. They don't seem to have been
    released yet.

    No, and they're not exactly cheap either. I really don't
    want to buy a new GPS that isn't top of the range, but the
    price is getting silly. This is almost like buying a pro
    digital camera. I don't see how I can justify this expense,
    and I simply can't afford it yet.

    Paul
    --
    wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.uk
    wildwales.fsnet.co.ukwildwales.fsnet.co.uk
    photosig.comuserphotos

  7. Paul Rooney said:
    Quoted message said:

    Is that a riddle wrapped in an enigma, or merely cryptic?

    Drunken drivel (-:


    I know all about that. ;-

  8. Mark South said:
    Quoted message said:

    True, but it all depends what's on the end of the lead.
    All my USBs are full anyway.

    But then all you need to do is plug in a new hub and net 3
    or more ports for a few quid. With RS232 ports it's a
    whole new (expensive) card and you probably have no PCI
    slots anyway :-(

    No need yet. Everything works. No point fixing it if it
    ain't broke.

    Paul
    --
    wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.uk
    wildwales.fsnet.co.ukwildwales.fsnet.co.uk
    photosig.comuserphotos

  9. Paul Rose said:

    Its for when Paul is doing his 'fly through' when using
    his Anquet/Memory Map software ;o)

    If only!

    Actually, non flight sim fans may not be aware of this, but
    the latest version of Microsoft's Flight Simulator (2004),
    microsoft.comdefault.asp
    which incidentally includes GPS navigation ("Garmin 500 and
    295 series GPS with color moving maps and airport/facility
    information"😉, has photographic scenery disks avaiable for
    it covering the whole of England and Wales. I think it's
    pretty much the same as the aerial photography you get in
    Memory Map, except that you really can fly around it.
    Probably a bit cheaper too.

    The add-ons are made by Just Flight. Go to
    justflight.comjustflight.com and click on Flight Sim Add Ons,
    then scroll down to the "VFR Photographic Scenery" disks,
    where you can look at screenshots.

    They write;

    "This is breath-taking VFR flying on your PC like never
    before with photographic scenery based on Getmapping PLC's
    aerial Millennium MapT.

    The third volume in the series lets you experience true VFR
    flying, with photographic quality detail including roads,
    fields, towns and villages as well as hills, valleys and
    airport approaches... exactly as would be seen from a real
    aircraft. Fly over your street, school, office, local
    football ground and any other visible landmarks!"

    Paul
    --
    wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.uk
    wildwales.fsnet.co.ukwildwales.fsnet.co.uk
    photosig.comuserphotos

  10. Gordon said:

    I'm back with Grand Prix 3, and couldn't find Grand Prix 4
    today in the stores. I may grab it when it gets onto the
    bargain rack.

    Doesn't seem like it ever will. Apparently F1 Challenge 99-
    02 is the most realistic F1 sim ever. Geoff Crammond has
    slipped into second place.

    Quoted message said:

    So I'm practising for Monaco at present. Knocked 8 seconds
    off my first day's efforts, but still not satisfied with
    the car setup, got it over- steering at the moment, with
    too much rear brake and too low a first gear. :-)

    Always had a love-hate relationship with that track. Fun
    with some games but too difficult with others. Great scenery
    but not really a very good racetrack.

    Quoted message said:

    One week to go, but the real GP scene is depressing, with
    Shoemaker walking away with ever race. 🙁

    Watch Touring Cars instead then! Did you see the Silverstone
    race? Talk about excitement! Cars bashing each other off the
    track left right and centre. Three races, ballast rules,
    winners starting at the back, different winners for each
    race. If they really want to spice up F1 they need look no
    further than Touring Cars for a few ideas. Perhaps such
    changes would be too radical for F1, but they certainly
    produce exciting unpredictable racing.

    Another alternative would be to introduce a special
    Schumacher rule - he must always start at the back driving a
    Minardi with 50kg of weight added. That *might* give some of
    the other drivers a chance.

    Or they could just take it as read that he's going to win,
    enter his name as the winner, pay him his fee and his prize
    money, then tell him to bugger off and let the other drivers
    race to see who can win second place.

    Paul
    --
    wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.uk
    wildwales.fsnet.co.ukwildwales.fsnet.co.uk
    photosig.comuserphotos

  11. KRO said:

    Jeez! So you're a bit of a "simulation" fan
    then..............

    Yep, mainly just racing games though, although I have
    enjoyed a bit of flight simming in the past.

    Also a wargame addict ("proper" wargames, not these new RTS
    imposters - I grew up on Avalon Hill board wargames) and by
    extension "strategy" games (Civilisation etc.) and "sim"
    games (Sim City & tycoon type games).

    Quoted message said:

    I just stick to first person shooters, tremendously
    satisfying and am waiting the release of Half-Life 2.

    Never got on with FPS games for some reason.

    Quoted message said:

    When does the mid-life crisis start?

    Which crisis is that?

    Paul
    --
    wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.uk
    wildwales.fsnet.co.ukwildwales.fsnet.co.uk
    photosig.comuserphotos

  12. "Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The third volume in the series lets you experience true
    VFR flying, with photographic quality detail including
    roads, fields, towns and villages as well as hills,
    valleys and (snip)

    Stop right there! Now I'll allow somebody else to ask
    the obvious!

    KRO

  13. KRO said:
    Quoted message said:

    Which crisis is that?

    Paul

    What - there's more than one?
    :-)

    Oooh, you've got the worst one; the crisis that makes you
    think there's only one; doomed, ye're doomed!

    SteveO

    NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
    thenmc.org.ukindex.php

    NMC website: thenmc.org.ukthenmc.org.uk

  14. "Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Paul Rose said:

    Its for when Paul is doing his 'fly through' when using
    his Anquet/Memory Map software ;o)

    If only!

    Actually, non flight sim fans may not be aware of this,
    but the latest version of Microsoft's Flight Simulator
    (2004), microsoft.comde
    fault.asp which incidentally includes GPS navigation
    ("Garmin 500 and 295 series GPS with color moving maps and
    airport/facility information"😉, has photographic scenery
    disks avaiable for it covering the whole of


    England

    Quoted message said:

    and Wales. I think it's pretty much the same as the aerial


    photography

    Quoted message said:

    you get in Memory Map, except that you really can fly
    around it. Probably a bit cheaper too.

    The add-ons are made by Just Flight. Go to
    justflight.comjustflight.com and click on Flight Sim Add Ons,
    then scroll down to the "VFR Photographic Scenery" disks,
    where you can look at screenshots.

    They write;

    "This is breath-taking VFR flying on your PC like never
    before with photographic scenery based on Getmapping PLC's
    aerial Millennium MapT.

    The third volume in the series lets you experience true
    VFR flying,


    with

    Quoted message said:

    photographic quality detail including roads, fields,
    towns and


    villages

    Quoted message said:

    as well as hills, valleys and airport approaches...
    exactly as would


    be

    Quoted message said:

    seen from a real aircraft. Fly over your street, school,
    office, local football ground and any other visible
    landmarks!"

    Paul

    The add-ons look interesting, and as you say, a lot
    cheaper than MM!

    --
    Regards, Paul www.lakelandwalker.co.uk - My Lake District
    walking site

    Paul Rose Middlesbrough, England, U.K.

  15. "Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    KRO said:

    Jeez! So you're a bit of a "simulation" fan
    then..............

    Yep, mainly just racing games though, although I have
    enjoyed a bit of flight simming in the past.

    Also a wargame addict ("proper" wargames, not these new
    RTS imposters - I grew up on Avalon Hill board wargames)
    and by extension "strategy" games (Civilisation etc.) and
    "sim" games (Sim City & tycoon type games).

    Quoted message said:

    I just stick to first person shooters, tremendously
    satisfying and am waiting the release of Half-Life 2.

    Never got on with FPS games for some reason.

    Quoted message said:

    When does the mid-life crisis start?

    Which crisis is that?

    Paul

    What - there's more than one?
    :-)

    KRO

  16. KRO said:
    Quoted message said:

    The third volume in the series lets you experience true
    VFR flying, with photographic quality detail including
    roads, fields, towns and villages as well as hills,
    valleys and (snip)

    Stop right there! Now I'll allow somebody else to ask the
    obvious!

    The obvious what?

    Paul
    --
    wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.uk
    wildwales.fsnet.co.ukwildwales.fsnet.co.uk
    photosig.comuserphotos

  17. KRO said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    When does the mid-life crisis start?

    Which crisis is that?

    Quoted message said:

    What - there's more than one?
    :-)

    Are we talking about a games crisis or what? I haven't
    had any mid-life crisis yet and I think I'm overdue. But
    maybe that's because I'm not married? What are we talking
    about anyway?

    Paul
    --
    wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.uk
    wildwales.fsnet.co.ukwildwales.fsnet.co.uk
    photosig.comuserphotos

  18. The message <[email hidden]>
    from [email hidden] (Chris Malcolm) contains these words:

    Quoted message said:

    How can you tell if it's a mid-life crisis if you don't
    know when you're going to die?

    Surely a mid-life crisis should occur in middle age which my
    dictionary assures me is usually taken as between 40 and 60
    years of age for a man. I can't remember if I went through
    one but that is probably a failure of old age which reminds
    me I really must buy that pair of carpet slippers now I have
    waved goodbye to middle age (or should I wait till 61?).

    --
    Roger Chapman so far this year 27 summits New - 16 (Marilyns
    4, Sweats 1, Outlying Fells 11) Repeats - 11( Marilyns 2,
    Sweats 6, Wainwrights 11) Knackered knee - 3 times

  19. Paul Saunders said:

    KRO wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > When does the mid-life crisis start?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Which crisis is that?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What - there's more than one?
    :-)

    Quoted message said:

    Are we talking about a games crisis or what? I haven't
    had any mid-life crisis yet and I think I'm overdue. But
    maybe that's because I'm not married? What are we talking
    about anyway?

    If I die of a heart attack tonight then I had my midlife
    crises some decades ago, but if I get towards the maximum
    (so far) human lifespan then my mid-life crises might just
    be popping up now.

    How can you tell if it's a mid-life crisis if you don't know
    when you're going to die?
    --
    Chris Malcolm [email hidden] +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
    IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK
    ["]http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  20. "Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    KRO said:
    Quoted message said:

    The third volume in the series lets you experience true
    VFR flying, with photographic quality detail including
    roads, fields, towns and villages as well as hills,
    valleys and (snip)

    Stop right there! Now I'll allow somebody else to ask
    the obvious!

    The obvious what?

    It's okay, I was referring to the photographic quality
    detail, you know for .... walking. Hills, valleys etc.
    Imagine taxiing over an intended walking route :-)

    KRO

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.