sorry another tyre question (much more specific though)

free_rideman

Mar 20, 2006
Okay, I ride in connecticut and the roads around here are from really nice, to somethimes a lot of ****. I bassically just ride, and do centuries, but want to do some light racing this year (maybe 1 to 2).

Okay, right now I am running michelin carbons, and pretty much I only ran these tires. They are nice, and very strong (never got a flat, ever), but they freak me out when ridng in the wet! Also they aren't as supple as I would want them to be. This being said, it doesn't mean I don't know "feel" when it comes to tires, I have tried many of my friends bikes with their tires on them.

Anyways, I weight 180lbs, and generally try to avoid **** on the road. These are my first choices:

Continental GP4000
Veloflex Pave
Vittoria Rubino Pro
Michelin Pro Race
Tufo Elite Road - tubular clinchers

I use specialized standard tubes as of now ~100g per tube. Might get ligher tubes, but those tubes for some reason scare me. Anyways, I used to run my tires at high pressure, near 120psi, but now I love the better feel of 100f/105r for the psi. This feels a lot better on my michelin carbons, and I plan to use the same pressure settings on the tires above.

Please help, all the choices seem so good. What would be the most cost effective? meaning, what will excel in net total points for all "categories" that make a good tire (ie: price, wear, suppleness, punctures)

Thanks.

free_rideman said:
Okay, I ride in connecticut and the roads around here are from really nice, to somethimes a lot of ****. I bassically just ride, and do centuries, but want to do some light racing this year (maybe 1 to 2).

Okay, right now I am running michelin carbons, and pretty much I only ran these tires. They are nice, and very strong (never got a flat, ever), but they freak me out when ridng in the wet! Also they aren't as supple as I would want them to be. This being said, it doesn't mean I don't know "feel" when it comes to tires, I have tried many of my friends bikes with their tires on them.

Anyways, I weight 180lbs, and generally try to avoid **** on the road. These are my first choices:

Continental GP4000
Veloflex Pave
Vittoria Rubino Pro
Michelin Pro Race
Tufo Elite Road - tubular clinchers

I use specialized standard tubes as of now ~100g per tube. Might get ligher tubes, but those tubes for some reason scare me. Anyways, I used to run my tires at high pressure, near 120psi, but now I love the better feel of 100f/105r for the psi. This feels a lot better on my michelin carbons, and I plan to use the same pressure settings on the tires above.

Please help, all the choices seem so good. What would be the most cost effective? meaning, what will excel in net total points for all "categories" that make a good tire (ie: price, wear, suppleness, punctures)

Thanks.
dude all those tyres are for racing, michelin speediums if comfort/ grip and good wear are what ur after. if your only racing twice a year you wont need a pave!

free_rideman said:

Thanks.
Something like the Continental Ultra 3000 would probably be up there. I wouldn't put too much money into high performance racing tires for every day riding. The problem is that as price goes up, wear and puncture performance go down. Your conclusion about pressure is mostly right, but you may need to fine tune the numbers a bit if you switch to a tire with a stiffer or more compliant casing.

okay, technically price doesn't matter for me. My LBS sells the michelin carbons for $45, and the Conti gp4000 for $50. So imagine if I buy it at my LBS, they are like the same price. Anyways, I still will buy them online to get a better disount.

So if price doesn't matter, and the fact if I will or won't be racing on them, then what tire out of those should I choose?

By the way the Vittoria Rubino Pro isn't really a "racing tire" and its price is around the michelin carbon's price.

Hard to go wrong with Michelin Pro Race. That's not to say that the others won't do as well, but I switched from Continental Gator Skin - GP3000 (supposedly *more* flat resistant) to Michelin Pro Race.

I'm on my third set (not because I puncture, but I have 2 bikes and am building a third). It's the only set I'll go with until they do me wrong. I'm 195 @ 6'3". I do not race. Not every rider races; I think it's still okay for non racers to .. want race-quality accessories, no?

That would be like saying only nascar drivers should drive corvettes.

Michelin Pro Races are not the cheapest as has been pointed out. But yes, you get what you pay for. As a side note, you still need to be careful not to ride over too much **** with ANY tire. But I like the durability of the michelins.

free_rideman said:
okay, technically price doesn't matter for me. My LBS sells the michelin carbons for $45, and the Conti gp4000 for $50. So imagine if I buy it at my LBS, they are like the same price. Anyways, I still will buy them online to get a better disount.

So if price doesn't matter, and the fact if I will or won't be racing on them, then what tire out of those should I choose?

By the way the Vittoria Rubino Pro isn't really a "racing tire" and its price is around the michelin carbon's price.

thanks for that reply. I agree with you, especially with tires, not a place to be cheap!

The Tufo tires are high pressure tires so they are somewhat pointless if you are only running them at 100-105. They are rated to 225psi.

actually you can run those at any pressure you want (except higher than max, or too low to cause pinch flats/poor connection to rim). obviously I would test around and see their best pressure. Maybe it will be 10 psi or 20 psi greater front and back. I don't know yet.

jeez, why is everyone treating me like a dumb person. i think I know a bit about bikes, and just wanted some friendly advice on tires, from other cyclist's experiences.

FrankBattle was the only one that replyed to what I actually asked. Can some other people please help me out? It would be greatly appreciated.

It is just that I have been reading a lot on the forums, and all those tires come in at a tie. In other words, I wouldn't post this again, if reading other old threads would have helped.