Sorry to talk about the weather but....

byron27

New Member
Oct 19, 2003
i could almost not miss the Perth weather if it is going to stay like this.

In fact i can only tell the difference at the moment because im not getting physically threatened every second day im on the bike.

Yeah i know though, not good for the watery bits but the worse it is the more it secures the employment of my profession for the next 50 years.:rolleyes:

"byron27" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> i could almost not miss the Perth weather if it is going to stay like
> this.
>
> In fact i can only tell the difference at the moment because im not
> getting physically threatened every second day im on the bike.
>
> Yeah i know though, not good for the watery bits but the worse it is
> the more it secures the employment of my profession for the next 50
> years.:rolleyes:
>

> --
> byron27

I am in Newcastle and we have had rain every day over easter, but I have
managed to get a bicycle race in every day.
Some how each day the rain would stop and allow us to race and start just
after we finished, so we would get soaked on the way home if not on the way
there :S

Friday morning it was a A grade Crit, Saturday was a 25km team time trial,
Sunday A grade 58 km veterans scratch race and today was a 50 km
invitational at my club.

Best result over the four days racing was 2nd in the TTT, I did not finish
the crit or the Vets race due to a puncture of the heart device :p

After the race today my legs were feeling a little heavy for the ride up
over the water shed hills that seperate the Hunter river from Lake Maquarie.

byron27 said:
Yeah i know though, not good for the watery bits but the worse it is the more it secures the employment of my profession for the next 50 years.:rolleyes:
That's an optimistic view we share :) Some people have no idea how much energy goes into treating water to drinking standards... maybe it's a good wake-up call.

Lotte

On Apr 10, 7:57 am, LotteBum <LotteBum.2os...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> byron27 Wrote:> Yeah i know though, not good for the watery bits but the worse it is the
> > more it secures the employment of my profession for the next 50
> > years.:rolleyes:

> That's an optimistic view we share :) Some people have no idea how
> much energy goes into treating water to drinking standards... maybe
> it's a good wake-up call.

Looks like we might get desal in Vic, I wonder how much that'll
contribute to longterm problems? The energy to evaporate the water
has to come from somewhere, and I'll bet it won't be solar.

"Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Looks like we might get desal in Vic, I wonder how much that'll
> contribute to longterm problems? The energy to evaporate the water
> has to come from somewhere, and I'll bet it won't be solar.

Why evaporation? Would you not use reverse osmosis? Though there is still
energy involved...

Cheers
David M

LotteBum said:
That's an optimistic view we share :) Some people have no idea how much energy goes into treating water to drinking standards... maybe it's a good wake-up call.

Lotte
You know the old thing Lotte, until people see it with their own eyes....

Now if only one of the those watery people would give me a job!!!!

Bleve said:
On Apr 10, 7:57 am, LotteBum <LotteBum.2os...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> byron27 Wrote:> Yeah i know though, not good for the watery bits but the worse it is the
> > more it secures the employment of my profession for the next 50
> > years.:rolleyes:

> That's an optimistic view we share :) Some people have no idea how
> much energy goes into treating water to drinking standards... maybe
> it's a good wake-up call.

Looks like we might get desal in Vic, I wonder how much that'll
contribute to longterm problems? The energy to evaporate the water
has to come from somewhere, and I'll bet it won't be solar.
Personally, i believe the answer lies primarily in economic solutions with some assistance from technical solutions. No friggin desals though. That is just what engineering consutancies tell the govt is best and they listen. Short term political response to long term big trouble problem.

When people are forced to pay the true value of providing potable water i believe users of large amounts of water will think twice (yes, Ms Fussy Potts of Kew im talking about you, and you Mobil Oil) about pi.ssing it away. Get the old incremental system in place and slam those who use large amounts.

Plus, no more swimming champs will save a bit as well.

DavidM wrote:
> "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>Looks like we might get desal in Vic, I wonder how much that'll
>>contribute to longterm problems? The energy to evaporate the water
>>has to come from somewhere, and I'll bet it won't be solar.

> Why evaporation? Would you not use reverse osmosis? Though there is still
> energy involved...

Well, if they want a capital upfront cost, they could just roof in ll
those salty groundwater evaporation areas.

however, having seen what some winds can do to the sheeting on silos,
etc, I wouldn't want to be around them in a storm. Imagine 100' of
roofing being blown around in the wind.

Gumby said:
byron27 wrote:
> i could almost not miss the Perth weather if it is going to stay like
> this.
>
> In fact i can only tell the difference at the moment because im not
> getting physically threatened every second day im on the bike.
>
> Yeah i know though, not good for the watery bits but the worse it is
> the more it secures the employment of my profession for the next 50
> years.:rolleyes:

Weather in Perth is doing fine as well. Again though we need the rain.
Come back to Perth Byron, ATTA needs you. <shameless plug/ another PB
at bibra lake /shameless plug>
Gumby, i do miss the ATTA time trials very much. There is a chapter over here but it is only starting out and the TT's are few and far between. Also, i dont have a car and they are miles away. Ah, i am actually thinking nice things about the Hopelands TT course. Yes, i am delusional.

I dont know, Beach Rd is ok but it has nothing on a lap of the river with a coffee to finish up in Freo.

Thanks for the heads up on the bibra lake TT. Ill have to check the results. Nice to see Travvy Meyer is still ripping it up at the ripe old age of 18....

DavidM wrote:
> "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Looks like we might get desal in Vic, I wonder how much that'll
>> contribute to longterm problems? The energy to evaporate the water
>> has to come from somewhere, and I'll bet it won't be solar.

> Why evaporation? Would you not use reverse osmosis? Though there is still
> energy involved...
>
> Cheers
> David M

I think it will be RO. They're basically going to copy the Perth plant
but bigger. I couldn't imagine an evaporative one being built.

Friday

byron27 wrote:
> Gumby Wrote:
>> byron27 wrote:
>>> i could almost not miss the Perth weather if it is going to stay like
>>> this.
>>>
>>> In fact i can only tell the difference at the moment because im not
>>> getting physically threatened every second day im on the bike.
>>>
>>> Yeah i know though, not good for the watery bits but the worse it is
>>> the more it secures the employment of my profession for the next 50
>>> years.:rolleyes:
>>>

>> Weather in Perth is doing fine as well. Again though we need the rain.
>> Come back to Perth Byron, ATTA needs you. <shameless plug/ another PB
>> at bibra lake /shameless plug>

> Gumby, i do miss the ATTA time trials very much. There is a chapter
> over here but it is only starting out and the TT's are few and far
> between. Also, i dont have a car and they are miles away. Ah, i am
> actually thinking nice things about the Hopelands TT course. Yes, i am
> delusional.
>
> I dont know, Beach Rd is ok but it has nothing on a lap of the river
> with a coffee to finish up in Freo.
>
> Thanks for the heads up on the bibra lake TT. Ill have to check the
> results. Nice to see Travvy Meyer is still ripping it up at the ripe
> old age of 18....

Travis only got in because I had to withdraw due to work commitments.
When I cancelled I noticed he was first reserve, so blame me! He was
only a few seconds off Eddy Holland's course record, probably due to the
calm dry conditions. I don't think I'd have even got UP to 47kpm let
alone average that as Travis did on the day!!!

Graeme

Barty wrote:
> byron27 wrote:
>> Gumby Wrote:

>>> Weather in Perth is doing fine as well. Again though we need the rain.
>>> Come back to Perth Byron, ATTA needs you. <shameless plug/ another PB
>>> at bibra lake /shameless plug>

>> Gumby, i do miss the ATTA time trials very much. There is a chapter
>> over here but it is only starting out and the TT's are few and far
>> between. Also, i dont have a car and they are miles away. Ah, i am
>> actually thinking nice things about the Hopelands TT course. Yes, i am
>> delusional.
>>
>> I dont know, Beach Rd is ok but it has nothing on a lap of the river
>> with a coffee to finish up in Freo.
>>
>> Thanks for the heads up on the bibra lake TT. Ill have to check the
>> results. Nice to see Travvy Meyer is still ripping it up at the ripe
>> old age of 18....
>>

> Travis only got in because I had to withdraw due to work commitments.
> When I cancelled I noticed he was first reserve, so blame me! He was
> only a few seconds off Eddy Holland's course record, probably due to the
> calm dry conditions. I don't think I'd have even got UP to 47kpm let
> alone average that as Travis did on the day!!!
>

> Graeme

OOps, I meant kpH!!

Barty wrote:
> byron27 wrote:
>> Gumby Wrote:

>>> Weather in Perth is doing fine as well. Again though we need the rain.
>>> Come back to Perth Byron, ATTA needs you. <shameless plug/ another PB
>>> at bibra lake /shameless plug>

>> Gumby, i do miss the ATTA time trials very much. There is a chapter
>> over here but it is only starting out and the TT's are few and far
>> between. Also, i dont have a car and they are miles away. Ah, i am
>> actually thinking nice things about the Hopelands TT course. Yes, i am
>> delusional.
>>
>> I dont know, Beach Rd is ok but it has nothing on a lap of the river
>> with a coffee to finish up in Freo.
>>
>> Thanks for the heads up on the bibra lake TT. Ill have to check the
>> results. Nice to see Travvy Meyer is still ripping it up at the ripe
>> old age of 18....
>>

> Travis only got in because I had to withdraw due to work commitments.
> When I cancelled I noticed he was first reserve, so blame me! He was
> only a few seconds off Eddy Holland's course record, probably due to the
> calm dry conditions. I don't think I'd have even got UP to 47kpm let
> alone average that as Travis did on the day!!!
>

> Graeme

I remember Travis going past me at some considerable speed. I think
I managed to crack his average speed once on my first lap going down
that slight hill leading to Progress Drive. An amazing ride.

Lovely day for it although I didn't do a PB - I blame the bronchial
infection I've been fighting for a couple of weeks.

DeF.

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

Gumby said:
byron27 wrote:
> i could almost not miss the Perth weather if it is going to stay like
> this.
>
> In fact i can only tell the difference at the moment because im not
> getting physically threatened every second day im on the bike.
>
> Yeah i know though, not good for the watery bits but the worse it is
> the more it secures the employment of my profession for the next 50
> years.:rolleyes:

Weather in Perth is doing fine as well. Again though we need the rain.
Come back to Perth Byron, ATTA needs you. <shameless plug/ another PB
at bibra lake /shameless plug>
Gumby, i just noticed, you did a PB. congratulations!:D

byron27 wrote:
> Gumby Wrote:
>> byron27 wrote:
>>> i could almost not miss the Perth weather if it is going to stay like
>>> this.
>>>
>>> In fact i can only tell the difference at the moment because im not
>>> getting physically threatened every second day im on the bike.
>>>
>>> Yeah i know though, not good for the watery bits but the worse it is
>>> the more it secures the employment of my profession for the next 50
>>> years.:rolleyes:
>>>

>> Weather in Perth is doing fine as well. Again though we need the rain.
>> Come back to Perth Byron, ATTA needs you. <shameless plug/ another PB
>> at bibra lake /shameless plug>

> Gumby, i just noticed, you did a PB. congratulations!:D

shux <kicks sand>

better next year!