Sort of on topic/off topic: Rising toll of kids hurt on roads

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by wafflycat, Mar 23, 2006.

  1. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    Article in today's Norwich Evening News.

    Online at

    http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/cont...gory=news&itemid=NOED23 Mar 2006 12:26:07:217

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/nlg8w

    Includes...

    "The number of young people hurt in crashes and accidents on roads around
    Norwich has rocketed - and experts have pinned the blame on molly-coddling
    parents and the rising compensation culture.

    The number of people aged 18 or younger being treated at the Norfolk and
    Norwich University Hospital's accident and emergency unit has gone up from
    183 in 2003/4 to 345 from March last year to the end of February this year."

    "According to safety campaign group Royal Society for the Prevention of
    Accidents (RoSPA) youngsters are not as road savvy as in the past because
    they have been molly-coddled by parents who drive them around everywhere."

    "There is a concern that with the increase in car use, parents are cocooning
    their children with safety."

    "There's got to be some sort of way to get cars to slow down, but it's also
    common sense and people haven't got that when they are in a hurry."

    "Of the 345 taken to A&E since last March, 51 were pedestrians while the
    others were in vehicles or on bicycles.

    According to a spokesman for the Norfolk Accident Reduction Partnership,
    which records figures for the accidents which have been attended by police,
    numbers across the whole of the county have remained stable.

    He said: "It could be the case that more young people are going to hospital
    with slight injuries. If a child gets knocked off their bike but the police
    are not called, we would not record it.

    "It may be that people go to hospital more these days after an accident
    instead of just patching themselves up at home.""

    "Michael Edney of Norfolk police's traffic road policing, said: "We are not
    concerned with these figures for a number of reasons.

    "We are aware of a certain level of under-reporting of accidents when people
    don't report something to us. However, our research shows that collisions
    are down in the 18 and under age group.

    "It could be because ambulance crews are taking casualties to the Norfolk
    and Norwich instead of the James Paget, or that they are going in two or
    three days after an accident because they want to make a claim for
    compensation.

    "It could also be because there is tending to be a higher occupancy in
    vehicles with youngsters messing around, having collisions and ending up in
    hospital with slight injuries.""

    I find it disturbing that the police seem glib about the figures, but then
    again, this is Norfolk, where many a motorist is very leniently dealt with
    for breaking the law... I am reminded when Vernon was victim of a
    hit-and-run and the police really weren't keen on having an officer attend
    the scene.

    Well, at least I haven't molly-coddled Nathan in this department - getting
    him cycling to and from educational establishment will have served him well.

    Cheers, helen s

    --

    ~~
    you may need to remove dependence

    Tags:

  2. John_Kane

    John_Kane Guest

    wafflycat wrote:
    > Article in today's Norwich Evening News.
    >
    > Online at
    >
    > http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/cont...gory=news&itemid=NOED23 Mar 2006 12:26:07:217
    >
    > or
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/nlg8w
    >
    > Includes...
    >
    > "The number of young people hurt in crashes and accidents on roads around
    > Norwich has rocketed - and experts have pinned the blame on molly-coddling
    > parents and the rising compensation culture.
    >
    > The number of people aged 18 or younger being treated at the Norfolk and
    > Norwich University Hospital's accident and emergency unit has gone up from
    > 183 in 2003/4 to 345 from March last year to the end of February this year."

    There is almost certainly something funny about those figures unless
    the Norfolk general traffic carnage rate has gone up like a rocket. I
    suspect that something is redirecting patients to the Univ. hospital
    from another hospital or clinics though I suppose it is possible that
    some major change in local transport patterns ( changing of buse
    service or schedules or pehaps school transport regulations) may abe
    raising accident rates.

    Otherwise you almost certainly should be seeing a massive increase in
    KSI's that would show up in Gov't stats.

    > He said: "It could be the case that more young people are going to hospital
    > with slight injuries. If a child gets knocked off their bike but the police
    > are not called, we would not record it.

    This is vaguely possible but what would have precipitated the increase
    in a 1 year period? The jump is too big unless there has been some
    major health authority initiative or some scare campaign.

    > "We are aware of a certain level of under-reporting of accidents when people
    > don't report something to us. However, our research shows that collisions
    > are down in the 18 and under age group.

    I would trust the police figure here more than the hospital's. The
    police should be drawing their data from a pre-defined area. I assume
    the hospital takes whom-so-ever they get.

    > I find it disturbing that the police seem glib about the figures, but then
    > again, this is Norfolk, where many a motorist is very leniently dealt with
    > for breaking the law... I am reminded when Vernon was victim of a
    > hit-and-run and the police really weren't keen on having an officer attend
    > the scene.

    I don't see it as glib. They are saying that there is a little blip in
    the figures at one hospital that does not correspond to anything they
    are seeing. Until the newspaper has some comparable figures for all the
    region's hospitals the single data point is not all that useful.

    As the police noted it could just be that ambulances are going to the
    Univ hospital because the Emergency is less clogged with other cases or
    the local cafe has better coffee.

  3. I agree with others who say that the overall figures may be skewed due to
    NHS policies and they may be taking in RTC casualties from other areas or
    even Suffolk/Cambs - OTOH I think there *is* a slight rise in casualties
    (all the way from minors to KSI) amongst some the teenagers in that area.

    Partly due to kids who cycle not learning about traffic as well as they once
    did; but also the car culture reaching a far younger age nowadays. As soon
    as kids are 17 they want to own their first motor car (not even just sharing
    it with another sibling or parent) and they (both boys and girls nowadays)
    are heavily influenced by "Max Power" or "gary boy" culture.

    They are also often being subjected to peer pressure to drive their friends
    to all night discos/parties/raves often some distance away; and then drive
    back whilst sleep-deprived and potentially under the influence of a variety
    of substances.

    This has been going on for years though and shows no sign of stopping. In
    fact its getting *worse* as car culture has merged with some aspects of rave
    culture (unlike 10 years ago when there were more hippies around!), worse
    still as cops have clamped down on some of the all-nighters some kids are
    even taking pills and cruising round car parks etc out of boredom (complete
    ****king madness IMO and *not* in the positive way an old skool MC would
    have said!)

    I believe there have been a number of fatal RTCs in the Eastern area due to
    this and people I know have lost too many of their friends this way, I try
    to warn people on the site I help run but people still dont' want to
    listen..

    Alex
    --
    Mr [email protected] / General Lighting
    Ipswich, Suffolk, Untied Kingdom

  4. > I find it disturbing that the police seem glib about the figures

    Not sure it's glib, as they say "our research shows that collisions
    are down in the 18 and under age group" which would suggest the massive
    increase is due to something other than more people getting hurt.

    On the other hand the article makes no mention of rises in other age groups
    attending the hospital, so not sure what's going on.

    <glib> Couldn't be manufactured by some journo due to a (gasp) slow news
    day in norfolk?</glib> :)

  5. John_Kane

    John_Kane Guest

    Mark Thompson wrote:
    > > I find it disturbing that the police seem glib about the figures

    > Not sure it's glib, as they say "our research shows that collisions
    > are down in the 18 and under age group" which would suggest the massive
    > increase is due to something other than more people getting hurt.
    >
    > On the other hand the article makes no mention of rises in other age groups
    > attending the hospital, so not sure what's going on.
    >
    > <glib> Couldn't be manufactured by some journo due to a (gasp) slow news
    > day in norfolk?</glib> :)

    Are you impugningthe honour of one of those paragons the "British
    Journalist"?
    I am shocked and appalled.!
    John Kane, Kingston ON Canada