Sort of on topic...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wafflycathcsdir, May 1, 2003.

  1. ... it doesn't directly relate to cycling, but it does illustrate what we find so exasperating about
    the supposed judicial system in this country... Just what does someone have to do to lose their
    licence for a *long time*??? Nine measely months this particular dickhead has lost his licence for.
    How come I just know if the guy had knifed the woman, even if he'd sent a "Sorry" note, he'd have
    been jailed more likely than not???

    I despair at times, I really do.

    Cheers, helen s

    See http://tinyurl.com/aq27

    " 'Car addict' says sorry to crash victim

    May 1, 2003 05:00

    A teenage "car addict" who knocked over a woman in Norwich, leaving her with serious injuries,
    was yesterday spared a custodial sentence after a court heard he had sent her a card saying he
    was sorry.

    Stephen Eke, 18, who was said to have "an obsession with cars", had been previously warned by city
    magistrates that he might be sent to jail for knocking down Susan Ketteridge and fleeing the scene.

    The court heard the accident happened as Mrs Ketteridge was crossing Vauxhall Street, Norwich, on
    February 14.

    Eke's Ford Orion struck her, "flinging her in the air", and left her with terrible leg and arm
    injuries, the court heard.

    The impact shattered the car's windscreen.

    Eke, of Lubbock Close, Norwich, fled the scene leaving just his nickname 'Pugsley', but he was
    tracked down by police and arrested six days later.

    Yesterday, magistrates heard that a month ago Eke sent Mrs Ketteridge a card saying he was sorry.

    They spared him a custodial sentence and imposed a community rehabilitation order for nine months
    and a curfew order running daily from 5pm until 2am for three months.

    Eke was also ordered to pay compensation of £300 to Mrs Ketteridge and was disqualified from
    driving for two years.

    After the hearing, Eke said: "I am very pleased not to have gone to jail but I am genuinely sorry."

    Mrs Ketteridge, 54, who was not in court, told the EDP: "I feel angry but I am not bitter. I feel
    lucky. I could have been killed. I did get a card saying he was sorry which I accepted and you have
    to get on with your life."

    Of Eke's sentence, she would only say: "That was up to the magistrates and not for me to comment."

    Mrs Ketteridge said she was currently staying with her mother, was off work and was still receiving
    weekly hospital treatment for her injuries, which included wounds to her left arm, right knee and
    leg. She had had surgery including having a metal plate fitted in her leg.

    At an earlier hearing, Eke had admitted causing perso-nal injury to Mrs Ketteridge, failing to
    exchange details including his name and address, having no insurance and driving without a licence.

    He also admitted separate charges of stealing a jar of coffee on February 20; driving a Ford Escort
    without a licence, no insurance and fraudulently using a tax disc on January 23; and driving an
    Austin Metro without a licence, insurance or MOT on January 27.

    Rupert Hipwell, mitigating, said Eke had "an obsession with cars", buying and selling them to make
    money. But since the accident he had lost all interest in vehicles.

    He stressed Eke had stopped after the accident and left his nickname with someone who knew him –
    believing he had made his identity known.

    "He has shown considerable remorse," said Mr Hipwell.

    Eke had previous convictions, the last being a motoring offence on February 19, for which he was
    disqualified for nine months."

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    Tags:

  2. >Nine measely months this particular dickhead has lost his licence for.

    I apologise to the dickhead who so severely injured his victim. he didn't lose his licence for nine
    months, he lost it for 2 years. So that's alright then - case dealt with seriously. Not.

    AAAGGGHHH!

    helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Drifter

    Drifter Guest

    If one understands the judicial system one isn't exasperated. The judicial system is about
    rehabilitating criminals in as much as that may or may not be possible. There never was any support
    for victims, there isn't now and there never will be. =

    Let's take your example. A teenager.. If you have ever talked to one, you would realize they haven't
    lived long enough to realize they don't know it all. Young people act before they think. Old people
    think, and think and think some more and then if conditions are right, they act in a very
    conservative way. They know the consequences of mistakes or errors in judgment.

    There is extremely good reason why young men are sent to the front! =

    Young people do what no man in his right mind would do. Young men believe you fight for your
    country. Old men realize you die for your country. =

    Survival is about assessing risk. Survivial is about understanding what others do not. Surivial is
    assuming the rest of the world wants to kill you.

> [...]

    > =

    > He stressed Eke had stopped after the accident and left his nickname wi=
    th
    > someone who knew him =E2=80=93 believing he had made his identity known=
    =2E
    > =

    > "He has shown considerable remorse," said Mr Hipwell.
    > =

    > Eke had previous convictions, the last being a motoring offence on Febr=
    uary 19,
    > for which he was disqualified for nine months."
    > =

    > ~~~~~~~~~~
    > Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before send=
    ing a
    > reply!
    > =

    > Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaR=
    RRDdd
    > ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. >There never was any support for victims, there isn't now and there never will be.

    There should be.

    > A teenager.. If you have ever talked to one,

    Funnily enough, I do it on a daily basis. And indeed, I even was one once.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > ... it doesn't directly relate to cycling, but it does illustrate what we
    find
    > so exasperating about the supposed judicial system in this country... Just
    what
    > does someone have to do to lose their licence for a *long time*???
    <snip> I reckon cycling up a road against the flow indicated by a one way sign should do it.....
    Yup, I know the licence isn't related to cycling, but the paranoia is particularly 'with me'
    today ;-) Dave.

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter
    <[email protected]> typed:

    >> A teenager.. If you have ever talked to one,
    >
    > Funnily enough, I do it on a daily basis. And indeed, I even was one once.

    You haven't got a proper teenager - he still likes doing stuff with his parents. Plus the first rule
    of parenting is any memory of what it was like to be a teenager is instantly erased the moment you
    have one of your own.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter
    <[email protected]> typed:
    >> You haven't got a proper teenager - he still likes doing stuff with his parents.
    >
    > Oh he is - he's into worrying about his spots - and likes Linkin Park (which I somehow, have an
    > urge to refer to as Linkin Biscuit ..) and is into wearing a lot of black. At least he still
    > showers ;-)

    Nah, that's not a teenager. For an accurate guide to what a teenager is watch the videos of Kevin &
    Perry. If you've not been through the "fridge moment" you have not entered the delights of
    teenagerdom.

    Tony

  8. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    > At an earlier hearing, Eke had admitted causing perso-nal injury to Mrs Ketteridge, failing to
    > exchange details including his name and address,
    having
    > no insurance and driving without a licence.
    >
    > He also admitted separate charges of stealing a jar of coffee on February
    20;
    > driving a Ford Escort without a licence, no insurance and fraudulently
    using a
    > tax disc on January 23; and driving an Austin Metro without a licence, insurance or MOT on
    > January 27.
    >
    > Rupert Hipwell, mitigating, said Eke had "an obsession with cars", buying
    and
    > selling them to make money. But since the accident he had lost all
    interest in
    > vehicles.

    No he hasn't. He's telling lies. He will offend again.

    > "He has shown considerable remorse," said Mr Hipwell.

    More lies - these offenders have been trained by countless (understanding) adults that anything can
    be made well again by a few words of apology. The lawyer merely capitalises on the training.

    I'm saddened but not suprised.

    John

  9. Tony R

    Tony R Guest

    > Of Eke's sentence, she would only say: "That was up to the magistrates and
    not
    > for me to comment."

    Bravo Mrs. Ketteridge. Refreshingly stoical. tony R.

  10. >> Of Eke's sentence, she would only say: "That was up to the magistrates and
    >not
    >> for me to comment."
    >
    >Bravo Mrs. Ketteridge. Refreshingly stoical. tony R.

    And I thought it spoke volumes.

    Cheers, helen s