Sorta OT: Interesting night out at Chevy's.... :)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Nexis, Apr 26, 2004.

  1. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    So, the other night my SIL calls about 5:30 and says she's
    on her way over with my niece (BIL was already here) and
    did we have plans for dinner? I tell her, we're thinking
    we'd go out for some Mexican food. Ok, see ya then....
    Well, she gets here and she's really craving this new
    quesadilla they have at Chevy's. Spinach tortilla and all.
    She's pregnant, so we defer to her and her cravings and
    agree to go to Chevy's.

    We called ahead, put our name on the list. After all, it's a
    Friday night.

    Things start out promising. The server is there right away
    to ask for drink orders and promise chips and salsa are on
    the way. Then the tide begins to turn. He brings some of the
    drinks. Missing are hubby's margarita, and 1 of the 3 kids
    drinks. This last one puzzled me a little since they all 3
    ordered the same thing, milk. He leaves and doesn't come
    back for 10 minutes or so. When he finally does come back,
    he asks if we're ready to order. No mention of the missing
    beverages. Things go on like this. There's several problems,
    but everyone's still in a pretty darn good mood. Our server
    disappears for long stretches.

    Then all hell broke loose. My BIL who had been leaned
    forward some while he ate, sat back in his chair and the
    entire back of the chair snapped off!!! One of the wood
    slats splinters into two pieces so that the bottom portion
    was sticking up as he fell. There's a diminutive waitress
    holding ice cream walking by as this happens and she
    bravely tries to catch him one handed while holding the ice
    cream over her head. He kicks the table as he falls,
    toppling the freshly brought water glass over, soaking 3 of
    us. I swear, they tore that chair out of there so fast it
    was surreal!!! They put a new chair under him as they help
    him up. The manager comes over, winks, says "This chair
    looks fine to me!"

    BIL requests to see the chair before he'll agree to fill
    out an accident report, and they won't let him. Seems odd
    to me. They take his name and info, and our names as
    witnesses. For the rest of the time we were there, people
    were coming to the table as they left asking if he was ok.
    He has a huge...well it's not quite a scratch, since the
    surface of the skin isn't broken, but it's like a scratch
    below the surface, from his waist to near his shoulder
    blades. Some bruising too, and his neck hurts where it hit
    the divider wall. Then the icing on the cake, when they
    brought the bill. For some reason, they rang up 2 of the
    meals twice, then the server actually argued with us when
    we told him it was wrong. Took another 10 minutes before we
    finally summoned the manager again. He was embarrassed, he
    swore this "isn't how things are usually run around here"
    and apologized and said he'd like us to let him take care
    of the check.

    Well, can't say it was boring anyway!

    kimberly

    Tags:

  2. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    > witnesses. For the rest of the time we were there, people
    > were coming to the table as they left asking if he was ok.
    > He has a huge...well it's not quite a scratch, since the
    > surface of the skin isn't broken, but it's like a scratch
    > below the surface, from his waist to near his shoulder
    > blades. Some bruising too, and his neck hurts where it hit
    the
    > divider wall. Then the icing on the cake, when they
    > brought the bill. For some reason, they rang up 2 of the
    > meals twice, then the server actually argued with us when
    > we told him it was wrong. Took another 10 minutes
    before
    > we finally summoned the manager again. He was embarrassed,
    > he swore this "isn't how things are usually run around
    > here" and apologized and said
    he'd
    > like us to let him take care of the check.

    That's absolutely terrible! I don't know what Chevy's is,
    but if I ever find one, I'll make sure not to go there.
    Jeez! The manager should have given you a free meal after
    the chair incident in the first place.

    Did your BIL *ever* get is margarita?

    kili

  3. stan

    stan Guest

    kilikini <[email protected]> wrote:

    > That's absolutely terrible! I don't know what Chevy's is,
    > but if I ever find one, I'll make sure not to go there.
    > Jeez! The manager should have given you a free meal after
    > the chair incident in the first place.

    Chevy's is a chain of Mexican food restaurants. I ate at
    a Chevy's once when some friends and I were in Orlando on
    vacation. The food was akay. So was the service. I
    remember one of my friends, an MD got into a debate with
    the bartender about the specific health risks of alcohol
    to pregnant women which was prompted by a sign just
    behind the bartender that warned pregnant women not to
    drink any alcohol.

  4. Notbob

    Notbob Guest

    On 2004-04-26, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Chevy's is a chain of Mexican food restaurants. I ate at a
    > Chevy's once when some friends and I were in Orlando on
    > vacation. The food was akay. So was the service.

    They were pretty good when the chain first started. They
    used to make a killer cerviche. Later, they were bought out
    by PepsiCo and dumbed down the menu. Now, they're just like
    any other of a dozen mediocre TexMex chains. BTW, they
    charge an automatic tip for groups over 3.

    nb

  5. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "kilikini" <[email protected].com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip>

    > That's absolutely terrible! I don't know what Chevy's is,
    > but if I ever find one, I'll make sure not to go there.
    > Jeez! The manager should have given you a free meal after
    > the chair incident in the first place.
    >
    > Did your BIL *ever* get is margarita?
    >
    > kili

    LOL! Yes the margarita finally came, but the milk didn't
    until the food did! I agree about the manager, especially
    when there'd been so many problems before that. BTW, Chevy's
    is a tex-mex place that used to have the *best* salsa, but
    that's changed now too.

    kimberly

  6. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Nexis wrote:

    > "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > >
    > > That's absolutely terrible! I don't know what Chevy's
    > > is, but if I ever find one, I'll make sure not to go
    > > there. Jeez! The manager should have given you a free
    > > meal after the chair incident in the first place.
    > >
    > > Did your BIL *ever* get is margarita?
    > >
    > > kili
    > >

    > LOL! Yes the margarita finally came, but the milk didn't
    > until the food did! I agree about the manager, especially
    > when there'd been so many problems before that. BTW,
    > Chevy's is a tex-mex place that used to have the *best*
    > salsa, but that's changed now too.
    >
    > kimberly

    We gave Chevy's two chances and will not go again. The food
    is awful, even for a chain. The salsa (~10 yrs. ago when
    they first opened in Denver) looked and tasted very much
    like Hunt's tomnato sauce with a little garlic and some
    dried herbs stirred in.

    gloria p

  7. Sf

    Sf Guest

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 01:27:34 GMT, Puester
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > We gave Chevy's two chances and will not go again. The
    > food is awful, even for a chain. The salsa (~10 yrs. ago
    > when they first opened in Denver) looked and tasted very
    > much like Hunt's tomnato sauce with a little garlic and
    > some dried herbs stirred in.

    Too bad. The Chevy's near me is good.

    I know how bad they can get, because I went to one in
    Washington DC several years ago thinking that a national
    chain would have the same quality in all places.... I was
    very wrong.

  8. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "Puester" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Nexis wrote:
    > >
    > > "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > message news:[email protected]...
    > > <snip>
    > > >
    > > > That's absolutely terrible! I don't know what Chevy's
    > > > is, but if I
    ever
    > > > find one, I'll make sure not to go there. Jeez! The
    > > > manager should
    have
    > > > given you a free meal after the chair incident in the
    > > > first place.
    > > >
    > > > Did your BIL *ever* get is margarita?
    > > >
    > > > kili
    > > >

    > > LOL! Yes the margarita finally came, but the milk didn't
    > > until the food
    did!
    > > I agree about the manager, especially when there'd been
    > > so many problems before that. BTW, Chevy's is a tex-mex
    > > place that used to have the *best* salsa, but that's
    > > changed now too.
    > >
    > > kimberly
    >

    > We gave Chevy's two chances and will not go again. The
    > food is awful, even for a chain. The salsa (~10 yrs. ago
    > when they first opened in Denver) looked and tasted very
    > much like Hunt's tomnato sauce with a little garlic and
    > some dried herbs stirred in.
    >
    > gloria p

    We went to the original (in Alameda) when it was new, and
    later to one in New Mexico I think it was. The salsa looked
    *nothing* like tomato sauce. It was wonderful. Of course,
    I've had Mexican food in Denver, and the tomato sauce thing
    doesn't surprise me there....but are you sure that was
    Chevy's? Every Chevy's I've ever been to has obvious veggies
    (tomato, onion, peppers,) in their salsa. And with the
    tomatoes being roasted, it would hardly look like tomato
    sauce. Anyway, I wish they'd make it like they used to.

    kimberly