Sorta OT: Interesting night out at Chevy's.... :)

Nexis

Guest
So, the other night my SIL calls about 5:30 and says she's
on her way over with my niece (BIL was already here) and
did we have plans for dinner? I tell her, we're thinking
we'd go out for some Mexican food. Ok, see ya then....
Well, she gets here and she's really craving this new
quesadilla they have at Chevy's. Spinach tortilla and all.
She's pregnant, so we defer to her and her cravings and
agree to go to Chevy's.

We called ahead, put our name on the list. After all, it's a
Friday night.

Things start out promising. The server is there right away
to ask for drink orders and promise chips and salsa are on
the way. Then the tide begins to turn. He brings some of the
drinks. Missing are hubby's margarita, and 1 of the 3 kids
drinks. This last one puzzled me a little since they all 3
ordered the same thing, milk. He leaves and doesn't come
back for 10 minutes or so. When he finally does come back,
he asks if we're ready to order. No mention of the missing
beverages. Things go on like this. There's several problems,
but everyone's still in a pretty darn good mood. Our server
disappears for long stretches.

Then all hell broke loose. My BIL who had been leaned
forward some while he ate, sat back in his chair and the
entire back of the chair snapped off!!! One of the wood
slats splinters into two pieces so that the bottom portion
was sticking up as he fell. There's a diminutive waitress
holding ice cream walking by as this happens and she
bravely tries to catch him one handed while holding the ice
cream over her head. He kicks the table as he falls,
toppling the freshly brought water glass over, soaking 3 of
us. I swear, they tore that chair out of there so fast it
was surreal!!! They put a new chair under him as they help
him up. The manager comes over, winks, says "This chair
looks fine to me!"

BIL requests to see the chair before he'll agree to fill
out an accident report, and they won't let him. Seems odd
to me. They take his name and info, and our names as
witnesses. For the rest of the time we were there, people
were coming to the table as they left asking if he was ok.
He has a huge...well it's not quite a scratch, since the
surface of the skin isn't broken, but it's like a scratch
below the surface, from his waist to near his shoulder
blades. Some bruising too, and his neck hurts where it hit
the divider wall. Then the icing on the cake, when they
brought the bill. For some reason, they rang up 2 of the
meals twice, then the server actually argued with us when
we told him it was wrong. Took another 10 minutes before we
finally summoned the manager again. He was embarrassed, he
swore this "isn't how things are usually run around here"
and apologized and said he'd like us to let him take care
of the check.

Well, can't say it was boring anyway!

kimberly

"Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> [...]
> witnesses. For the rest of the time we were there, people
> were coming to the table as they left asking if he was ok.
> He has a huge...well it's not quite a scratch, since the
> surface of the skin isn't broken, but it's like a scratch
> below the surface, from his waist to near his shoulder
> blades. Some bruising too, and his neck hurts where it hit
the
> divider wall. Then the icing on the cake, when they
> brought the bill. For some reason, they rang up 2 of the
> meals twice, then the server actually argued with us when
> we told him it was wrong. Took another 10 minutes
before
> we finally summoned the manager again. He was embarrassed,
> he swore this "isn't how things are usually run around
> here" and apologized and said
he'd
> like us to let him take care of the check.

That's absolutely terrible! I don't know what Chevy's is,
but if I ever find one, I'll make sure not to go there.
Jeez! The manager should have given you a free meal after
the chair incident in the first place.

Did your BIL *ever* get is margarita?

kili

kilikini <[email protected]> wrote:

> That's absolutely terrible! I don't know what Chevy's is,
> but if I ever find one, I'll make sure not to go there.
> Jeez! The manager should have given you a free meal after
> the chair incident in the first place.

Chevy's is a chain of Mexican food restaurants. I ate at
a Chevy's once when some friends and I were in Orlando on
vacation. The food was akay. So was the service. I
remember one of my friends, an MD got into a debate with
the bartender about the specific health risks of alcohol
to pregnant women which was prompted by a sign just
behind the bartender that warned pregnant women not to
drink any alcohol.

On 2004-04-26, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

> Chevy's is a chain of Mexican food restaurants. I ate at a
> Chevy's once when some friends and I were in Orlando on
> vacation. The food was akay. So was the service.

They were pretty good when the chain first started. They
used to make a killer cerviche. Later, they were bought out
by PepsiCo and dumbed down the menu. Now, they're just like
any other of a dozen mediocre TexMex chains. BTW, they
charge an automatic tip for groups over 3.

nb

"kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>

> That's absolutely terrible! I don't know what Chevy's is,
> but if I ever find one, I'll make sure not to go there.
> Jeez! The manager should have given you a free meal after
> the chair incident in the first place.
>
> Did your BIL *ever* get is margarita?
>
> kili

LOL! Yes the margarita finally came, but the milk didn't
until the food did! I agree about the manager, especially
when there'd been so many problems before that. BTW, Chevy's
is a tex-mex place that used to have the *best* salsa, but
that's changed now too.

kimberly

Nexis wrote:

> "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... <snip>
> >
> > That's absolutely terrible! I don't know what Chevy's
> > is, but if I ever find one, I'll make sure not to go
> > there. Jeez! The manager should have given you a free
> > meal after the chair incident in the first place.
> >
> > Did your BIL *ever* get is margarita?
> >
> > kili
> >

> LOL! Yes the margarita finally came, but the milk didn't
> until the food did! I agree about the manager, especially
> when there'd been so many problems before that. BTW,
> Chevy's is a tex-mex place that used to have the *best*
> salsa, but that's changed now too.
>
> kimberly

We gave Chevy's two chances and will not go again. The food
is awful, even for a chain. The salsa (~10 yrs. ago when
they first opened in Denver) looked and tasted very much
like Hunt's tomnato sauce with a little garlic and some
dried herbs stirred in.

gloria p

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 01:27:34 GMT, Puester
<[email protected]> wrote:

> We gave Chevy's two chances and will not go again. The
> food is awful, even for a chain. The salsa (~10 yrs. ago
> when they first opened in Denver) looked and tasted very
> much like Hunt's tomnato sauce with a little garlic and
> some dried herbs stirred in.

Too bad. The Chevy's near me is good.

I know how bad they can get, because I went to one in
Washington DC several years ago thinking that a national
chain would have the same quality in all places.... I was
very wrong.

"Puester" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nexis wrote:
> >
> > "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message news:[email protected]...
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > That's absolutely terrible! I don't know what Chevy's
> > > is, but if I
ever
> > > find one, I'll make sure not to go there. Jeez! The
> > > manager should
have
> > > given you a free meal after the chair incident in the
> > > first place.
> > >
> > > Did your BIL *ever* get is margarita?
> > >
> > > kili
> > >

> > LOL! Yes the margarita finally came, but the milk didn't
> > until the food
did!
> > I agree about the manager, especially when there'd been
> > so many problems before that. BTW, Chevy's is a tex-mex
> > place that used to have the *best* salsa, but that's
> > changed now too.
> >
> > kimberly
>

> We gave Chevy's two chances and will not go again. The
> food is awful, even for a chain. The salsa (~10 yrs. ago
> when they first opened in Denver) looked and tasted very
> much like Hunt's tomnato sauce with a little garlic and
> some dried herbs stirred in.
>
> gloria p

We went to the original (in Alameda) when it was new, and
later to one in New Mexico I think it was. The salsa looked
*nothing* like tomato sauce. It was wonderful. Of course,
I've had Mexican food in Denver, and the tomato sauce thing
doesn't surprise me there....but are you sure that was
Chevy's? Every Chevy's I've ever been to has obvious veggies
(tomato, onion, peppers,) in their salsa. And with the
tomatoes being roasted, it would hardly look like tomato
sauce. Anyway, I wish they'd make it like they used to.

kimberly