Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

SouBitez (bottle generator) Tips & Tricks?

Started by LF · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,316 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
9 September 2007
Last activity
10 September 2007
Original author
LF
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,316
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a Soubitez 89 (6V-3W) and a similiar looking Soubitez B1
    "Schwinn approved" (6V-3W) bicycle light generator.
    Think I'll give them a whirl. Andrew, I know you are a Soubitez fan
    from way back. Maybe there are a few more Soubitezers in the group.

    Generator mounting tips, please?
    Are better bulbs now available, or should I stick with the stock bulb?
    Are generator caps (Velox) readily available, or should I stock pile
    them?

    I read at Orange Velo that the lamp can be separated from the
    generator, and mounted elsewhere -- such as on a fender or rack.

    Does anyone have any other tips, tricks, mods for these?

    Thanks,
    Larry

  2. Larry said:

    I have a Soubitez 89 (6V-3W) and a similiar looking Soubitez B1
    "Schwinn approved" (6V-3W) bicycle light generator.
    Think I'll give them a whirl. Andrew, I know you are a Soubitez fan
    from way back. Maybe there are a few more Soubitezers in the group.

    Generator mounting tips, please?

    Generator mounting is widely misunderstood. There are two major
    considerations that need to be met:

    The roller should hit the tire sidewall squarely, not with the upper
    or lower edge of the roller.

    If you draw an imaginary line through the axis of the generator, it
    should intersect a similar imaginary line extended from the axle of
    the hub. This is REALLY important. If you are careful about this,
    the generator will not wear the tire significantly, and it's less
    likely to slip.

    Quoted message said:

    Are better bulbs now available, or should I stick with the stock bulb?

    "Krypton" or "Halogen" bulbs are considerably better than the original
    vacuum bulbs.

    Quoted message said:

    I read at Orange Velo that the lamp can be separated from the
    generator, and mounted elsewhere -- such as on a fender or rack.

    Yeah, I used some old baby seat hardware to make a fork mount for one
    of these lamps, used with a rechargeable battery.

    Sheldon "Electrons" Brown
    +---------------------------------------------+
    | Television: |
    | A medium. So called because it is |
    | neither rare nor well done. |
    | --Ernie Kovacs |
    +---------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com
    Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
    http://sheldonbrown.com

  3. LF said:

    I have a Soubitez 89 (6V-3W) and a similiar looking Soubitez B1
    "Schwinn approved" (6V-3W) bicycle light generator.
    Think I'll give them a whirl. Andrew, I know you are a Soubitez fan
    from way back. Maybe there are a few more Soubitezers in the group.

    Generator mounting tips, please?
    Are better bulbs now available, or should I stick with the stock bulb?
    Are generator caps (Velox) readily available, or should I stock pile
    them?

    I read at Orange Velo that the lamp can be separated from the
    generator, and mounted elsewhere -- such as on a fender or rack.

    Does anyone have any other tips, tricks, mods for these?

    The CL-89 was replaced by the CA120 ( squarish chromoplastic body) and
    the 'Featherweight' (mod.22??) in the early seventies. Those were also
    sold as Schwinn branded units. I have a 1973 version headlamp on my #1
    bike with a dynohub:
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/SPORTS05.JPG

    Steel reflector mounts bend over make excellent lamp mounts IMHO. Any
    lamp which you find pretty with a 6V bulb is OK.

    Velox pulley covers are still around albeit maybe not the right diameter
    for your dynamo. The neat Sanyo covers with the hole on top are no more.

    I use a Soubitez Halogen tail bulb with my Dynohub, gives as much output
    as anything I've used but Bill Putnam is the expert on dynohub bulbs.
    Sorry, I only had one of those bulbs.

    There are now Union and other halogen bulbs readily available and cheap,
    more light than the original bulbs.

    p.s. sold my very last CL89 lens cover to a rider in Chicago (Chicago
    suffering the Worst Postal Service in USA (as defined & measured by
    USPS), who promptly received all 47 shards of it the next day.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.