Soupy Baked Beans - Best way to thicken??

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Bunny McElwee, Mar 11, 2004.

  1. Laura

    Laura Guest

    after draining some of the liquid off, I would at least add
    some bbq sauce..maybe some bacon (cooked) skis the limit on
    what else u could add.. gr pepper, onion come to mind..I
    would sauté them first..soften them up..

    --
    Laura

    GAYLAN FOR PRESIDENT

    I am a proud member of the bloodletting aspartame silicone
    implants gluten dairy mercury amalgam lyme antibiotic incest
    multiple sclerosis fiboromylagia vaccination reunion
    committee and survivors group. <troll
    trap>

    "Bunny McElwee" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > I am in charge of bringing baked beans to a gathering
    > this weekend.
    its
    > for a Car Club. The club purchased a large can of beans
    > (117 oz. Original Bush's Baked Beans) for me to prepare.
    > I've made baked beans in the past a few times, and when
    > using canned beans, it always seems as though they
    turn
    > out too soupy. I like to add things like mustard, brown
    > sugar, molasses
    and
    > sometimes I've even added honey. All of these items seem
    > to contribute to the soupiness of the beans. What is the
    > best way to thicken the "gravy" produced when using canned
    > beans and adding agents that seem to loosen the juice even
    > further, such as sugar and honey/molasses? Flour?
    > Cornstarch? Whats the best method for introducing the
    > thickening agent into the beans and when? Thanks for any
    > and all help!
    >

    > --
    > Bunny McElwee President, Lowcountry Miata Club
    > www.lowcountrymiataclub.net
    >
    > 1991 Mariner Blue with Red & White Stripes "BlueFlash"

  2. Laura

    Laura Guest

    after draining some of the liquid off, I would at least add
    some bbq sauce..maybe some bacon (cooked) skis the limit on
    what else u could add.. gr pepper, onion come to mind..I
    would sauté them first..soften them up..

    --
    Laura

    GAYLAN FOR PRESIDENT

    I am a proud member of the bloodletting aspartame silicone
    implants gluten dairy mercury amalgam lyme antibiotic incest
    multiple sclerosis fiboromylagia vaccination reunion
    committee and survivors group. <troll
    trap>

    "Bunny McElwee" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > I am in charge of bringing baked beans to a gathering
    > this weekend.
    its
    > for a Car Club. The club purchased a large can of beans
    > (117 oz. Original Bush's Baked Beans) for me to prepare.
    > I've made baked beans in the past a few times, and when
    > using canned beans, it always seems as though they
    turn
    > out too soupy. I like to add things like mustard, brown
    > sugar, molasses
    and
    > sometimes I've even added honey. All of these items seem
    > to contribute to the soupiness of the beans. What is the
    > best way to thicken the "gravy" produced when using canned
    > beans and adding agents that seem to loosen the juice even
    > further, such as sugar and honey/molasses? Flour?
    > Cornstarch? Whats the best method for introducing the
    > thickening agent into the beans and when? Thanks for any
    > and all help!
    >

    > --
    > Bunny McElwee President, Lowcountry Miata Club
    > www.lowcountrymiataclub.net
    >
    > 1991 Mariner Blue with Red & White Stripes "BlueFlash"

  3. Lynn Gifford

    Lynn Gifford Guest

    I make baked beans for 20 about three times a month. I
    favor the long slow oven method for thickening. In addition
    to the molasses/mustard/Tabasco/onion/bacon stuff, I add a
    can (or 2) of pineapple tidbits (chunks are too big). Lynn
    from Fargo

  4. Lynn Gifford

    Lynn Gifford Guest

    I make baked beans for 20 about three times a month. I
    favor the long slow oven method for thickening. In addition
    to the molasses/mustard/Tabasco/onion/bacon stuff, I add a
    can (or 2) of pineapple tidbits (chunks are too big). Lynn
    from Fargo

  5. Sf

    Sf Guest

    On 11 Mar 2004 08:57:33 -0800, [email protected] (Lynn
    Gifford) wrote:

    > I make baked beans for 20 about three times a month. I
    > favor the long slow oven method for thickening. In
    > addition to the molasses/mustard/Tabasco/onion/bacon
    > stuff, I add a can (or 2) of pineapple tidbits (chunks
    > are too big). Lynn from Fargo

    Long & slow is the perfect method for "from scratch"... we
    were talking about canned beans.

  6. Sf

    Gifford) wrote:

    > I make baked beans for 20 about three times a month. I
    > favor the long slow oven method for thickening. In
    > addition to the molasses/mustard/Tabasco/onion/bacon
    > stuff, I add a can (or 2) of pineapple tidbits (chunks
    > are too big). Lynn from Fargo

    Long & slow is the perfect method for "from scratch"... we
    were talking about canned beans.

  7. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >after draining some of the liquid off, I would at least add
    >some bbq sauce..maybe some bacon (cooked) skis the limit on
    >what else u could add.. gr pepper, onion come to mind..I
    >would sauté them first..soften them up..
    >
    >Laura

    All that precipitated due to watery canned beans... why
    not simply cook up a big ol batch from scratch... and
    it's *sky's*, not "skis"... or are you talking Polacks
    with limits.

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  8. [email protected] (jmameigh msnglestl) wrote in news:11565-40515955-206
    @storefull-3178.bay.webtv.net:

    > This is the best reply I have read yet !!!!! Good job !
    > Similar to my Mom's baked bean recipe using Grandma
    > Brown's baked beans and I have continued to make them this
    > way also. This site is very entertaining, if I must say
    > so, even tho there are very few actual recipes on it.
    > (smile) Hope it continues. Judy

    Thanks, Judy. It's my favorite!

    Over time there are actually a lot of recipes posted here,
    but it's the "conversation" and camaraderie that most
    people stay for.

    Wayne

  9. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    PENMART01 wrote:
    >>"Bunny McElwee"
    >>
    >> I am in charge of bringing baked beans to a gathering
    >> this weekend. its for a Car Club. The club purchased a
    >> large can of beans (117 oz. Original Bush's Baked
    >> Beans) for me to prepare. I've made baked beans in the
    >> past a few times, and when using canned beans, it
    >> always seems as though they turn out too soupy. I like
    >> to add things like mustard, brown sugar, molasses and
    >> sometimes I've even added honey. All of these items
    >> seem to contribute to the soupiness of the beans. What
    >> is the best way to thicken the "gravy" produced when
    >> using canned beans and adding agents that seem to
    >> loosen the juice even further, such as sugar and
    >> honey/molasses? Flour? Cornstarch? Whats the best
    >> method for introducing the thickening agent into the
    >> beans and when? Thanks for any and all help!
    >>
    >>Bunny
    >

    > Nothing to add... evaporate some of the water, a five
    > minute boil in a wide pan, will reduce to a perfect
    > consistancy.
    >

    > ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move
    > UNITED NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life
    > would be devoid of all meaning were it without
    > tribulation."

    Sheldon's right. Just boil 'em down a little. You can also
    put them in a lasagna pan and bake them uncovered to
    evaporate some of the moisture if you're afraid you will
    burn them on the stove.

    Bob

  10. Lynn Gifford

    Lynn Gifford Guest

    sf <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 11 Mar 2004 08:57:33 -0800, lynngif[email protected] (Lynn
    > Gifford) wrote:
    >
    > > I make baked beans for 20 about three times a month. I
    > > favor the long slow oven method for thickening. In
    > > addition to the molasses/mustard/Tabasco/onion/bacon
    > > stuff, I add a can (or 2) of pineapple tidbits (chunks
    > > are too big). Lynn from Fargo
    >
    > Long & slow is the perfect method for "from scratch"... we
    > were talking about canned beans.
    ====================================
    So was I. Lynn from Fargo (The longer you cook 'em the
    thicker they get.)

  11. Sf

    Sf Guest

    On 12 Mar 2004 11:45:24 -0800, [email protected] (Lynn
    Gifford) wrote:

    > sf <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > On 11 Mar 2004 08:57:33 -0800, [email protected] (Lynn
    > > Gifford) wrote:
    > >
    > > > I make baked beans for 20 about three times a month.
    > > > I favor the long slow oven method for thickening. In
    > > > addition to the molasses/mustard/Tabasco/onion/bacon
    > > > stuff, I add a can (or 2) of pineapple tidbits
    > > > (chunks are too big). Lynn from Fargo
    > >
    > > Long & slow is the perfect method for "from scratch"...
    > > we were talking about canned beans.
    > ====================================
    > So was I.

    I stand corrected.

  12. stan

    stan Guest

    sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On 11 Mar 2004 08:57:33 -0800, [email protected] (Lynn
    > Gifford) wrote:

    >> I make baked beans for 20 about three times a month. I
    >> favor the long slow oven method for thickening. In
    >> addition to the molasses/mustard/Tabasco/onion/bacon
    >> stuff, I add a can (or 2) of pineapple tidbits (chunks
    >> are too big). Lynn from Fargo

    > Long & slow is the perfect method for "from scratch"... we
    > were talking about canned beans.

    The same still applied to canned baked beans.