sour cream/yoghurt

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Lawrence Gilbur, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. i was wanting to make a simple chicken-mushroom casserole. the recipes calls for the addition of
    sour cream at the end with an addicitional 10 minutes of baking time after the addition...what will
    happen if i sub non fat yoghyrt for the sour cream....and then bake it...does the yoghurt go through
    any changes in the oven that would make it unsuitable to use for a substitute?

    thanks.LG

    Tags:

  2. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Lawrence Gilburtson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s53...
    > i was wanting to make a simple chicken-mushroom casserole. the recipes
    calls
    > for the addition of sour cream at the end with an addicitional 10 minutes
    of
    > baking time after the addition...what will happen if i sub non fat yoghyrt for the sour
    > cream....and then bake it...does the yoghurt go through any changes in the oven that would make it
    > unsuitable to use for a substitute?
    >
    > thanks.LG

    In my experience yogurt often separates during cooking and will not give the nice smooth result that
    you get with sour cream.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  3. well rats!.thanks...LG
    "Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Lawrence Gilburtson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]_s53...
    > > i was wanting to make a simple chicken-mushroom casserole. the recipes
    > calls
    > > for the addition of sour cream at the end with an addicitional 10
    minutes
    > of
    > > baking time after the addition...what will happen if i sub non fat
    yoghyrt
    > > for the sour cream....and then bake it...does the yoghurt go through any changes in the oven
    > > that would make it unsuitable to use for a
    substitute?

    > > thanks.LG
    > >

    > In my experience yogurt often separates during cooking and will not give
    the
    > nice smooth result that you get with sour cream.
    >

    > --
    > Peter Aitken
    >
    > Remove the crap from my email address before using.

  4. On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:07:55 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Lawrence Gilburtson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]_s53...
    >> i was wanting to make a simple chicken-mushroom casserole. the recipes
    >calls
    >> for the addition of sour cream at the end with an addicitional 10 minutes
    >of
    >> baking time after the addition...what will happen if i sub non fat yoghyrt for the sour
    >> cream....and then bake it...does the yoghurt go through any changes in the oven that would make
    >> it unsuitable to use for a substitute?
    >>
    >> thanks.LG
    >>

    >In my experience yogurt often separates during cooking and will not give the nice smooth result
    >that you get with sour cream.

    You can fix that by adding about a quarter teaspoon of cornstarch or other binder (tapioca flour,
    xanthan gum, or half a smashed potato, if you are gluten intolerant). The taste is a touch sharper
    and a little less rich.

    I make the substitution in all my everyday recipes. I make a mean 5 onion quiche using yoghurt
    instead of the sour cream. that is to die for, and a yoghurt based veg or chip dip that my friends
    rave about. Remember the blessed onion soup packet....?

    Shirley Hicks Toronto, Ontario

  5. Erica

    Erica Guest

    "A mukluk wearing troll" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I make the substitution in all my everyday recipes. I make a mean 5 onion quiche using yoghurt
    > instead of the sour cream. that is to die for

    OMG.

    Please post recipe?

    --Erica

  6. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "A mukluk wearing troll" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:07:55 GMT, "Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >"Lawrence Gilburtson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]_s53...
    > >> i was wanting to make a simple chicken-mushroom casserole. the recipes
    > >calls
    > >> for the addition of sour cream at the end with an addicitional 10
    minutes
    > >of
    > >> baking time after the addition...what will happen if i sub non fat
    yoghyrt
    > >> for the sour cream....and then bake it...does the yoghurt go through
    any
    > >> changes in the oven that would make it unsuitable to use for a
    substitute?

    > >> thanks.LG
    > >>

    > >In my experience yogurt often separates during cooking and will not give
    the
    > >nice smooth result that you get with sour cream.
    >
    > You can fix that by adding about a quarter teaspoon of cornstarch or other binder (tapioca flour,
    > xanthan gum, or half a smashed potato, if you are gluten intolerant). The taste is a touch sharper
    > and a little less rich.
    >
    > I make the substitution in all my everyday recipes. I make a mean 5 onion quiche using yoghurt
    > instead of the sour cream. that is to die for, and a yoghurt based veg or chip dip that my friends
    > rave about. Remember the blessed onion soup packet....?
    >
    > Shirley Hicks Toronto, Ontario

    Do you mean to mix the cornstarch with the yogurt before adding it to the recipe? SOunds like a very
    useful technique.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  7. thanks all for you suggestions, will try the cornstarch cause I really really want to sub the
    yoghurt for the sour cream... :>) LG