sour cream/yoghurt

Lawrence Gilbur

Guest
i was wanting to make a simple chicken-mushroom casserole. the recipes calls for the addition of
sour cream at the end with an addicitional 10 minutes of baking time after the addition...what will
happen if i sub non fat yoghyrt for the sour cream....and then bake it...does the yoghurt go through
any changes in the oven that would make it unsuitable to use for a substitute?

thanks.LG

"Lawrence Gilburtson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> i was wanting to make a simple chicken-mushroom casserole. the recipes
calls
> for the addition of sour cream at the end with an addicitional 10 minutes
of
> baking time after the addition...what will happen if i sub non fat yoghyrt for the sour
> cream....and then bake it...does the yoghurt go through any changes in the oven that would make it
> unsuitable to use for a substitute?
>
> thanks.LG

In my experience yogurt often separates during cooking and will not give the nice smooth result that
you get with sour cream.

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

well rats!.thanks...LG
"Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Lawrence Gilburtson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:geaXb.28218$jk2.67802@attbi_s53...
> > i was wanting to make a simple chicken-mushroom casserole. the recipes
> calls
> > for the addition of sour cream at the end with an addicitional 10
minutes
> of
> > baking time after the addition...what will happen if i sub non fat
yoghyrt
> > for the sour cream....and then bake it...does the yoghurt go through any changes in the oven
> > that would make it unsuitable to use for a
substitute?

> > thanks.LG
> >

> In my experience yogurt often separates during cooking and will not give
the
> nice smooth result that you get with sour cream.
>

> --
> Peter Aitken
>
> Remove the **** from my email address before using.

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:07:55 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Lawrence Gilburtson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:geaXb.28218$jk2.67802@attbi_s53...
>> i was wanting to make a simple chicken-mushroom casserole. the recipes
>calls
>> for the addition of sour cream at the end with an addicitional 10 minutes
>of
>> baking time after the addition...what will happen if i sub non fat yoghyrt for the sour
>> cream....and then bake it...does the yoghurt go through any changes in the oven that would make
>> it unsuitable to use for a substitute?
>>
>> thanks.LG
>>

>In my experience yogurt often separates during cooking and will not give the nice smooth result
>that you get with sour cream.

You can fix that by adding about a quarter teaspoon of cornstarch or other binder (tapioca flour,
xanthan gum, or half a smashed potato, if you are gluten intolerant). The taste is a touch sharper
and a little less rich.

I make the substitution in all my everyday recipes. I make a mean 5 onion quiche using yoghurt
instead of the sour cream. that is to die for, and a yoghurt based veg or chip dip that my friends
rave about. Remember the blessed onion soup packet....?

Shirley Hicks Toronto, Ontario

"A mukluk wearing troll" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I make the substitution in all my everyday recipes. I make a mean 5 onion quiche using yoghurt
> instead of the sour cream. that is to die for

OMG.

Please post recipe?

--Erica

"A mukluk wearing troll" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:07:55 GMT, "Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"Lawrence Gilburtson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:geaXb.28218$jk2.67802@attbi_s53...
> >> i was wanting to make a simple chicken-mushroom casserole. the recipes
> >calls
> >> for the addition of sour cream at the end with an addicitional 10
minutes
> >of
> >> baking time after the addition...what will happen if i sub non fat
yoghyrt
> >> for the sour cream....and then bake it...does the yoghurt go through
any
> >> changes in the oven that would make it unsuitable to use for a
substitute?

> >> thanks.LG
> >>

> >In my experience yogurt often separates during cooking and will not give
the
> >nice smooth result that you get with sour cream.
>
> You can fix that by adding about a quarter teaspoon of cornstarch or other binder (tapioca flour,
> xanthan gum, or half a smashed potato, if you are gluten intolerant). The taste is a touch sharper
> and a little less rich.
>
> I make the substitution in all my everyday recipes. I make a mean 5 onion quiche using yoghurt
> instead of the sour cream. that is to die for, and a yoghurt based veg or chip dip that my friends
> rave about. Remember the blessed onion soup packet....?
>
> Shirley Hicks Toronto, Ontario

Do you mean to mix the cornstarch with the yogurt before adding it to the recipe? SOunds like a very
useful technique.

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

thanks all for you suggestions, will try the cornstarch cause I really really want to sub the
yoghurt for the sour cream... :>) LG