Source for a Campy 9 speed cassette 13-29 ?

davy

Guest
Dear All,

Can anybody enlighten me on an online source for a Campy compatible 9
speed cassette 13-29 ?

thanks,

Davy

in message <[email protected]>, davy
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Can anybody enlighten me on an online source for a Campy compatible 9
> speed cassette 13-29 ?

If you need to abbreviate it, it's 'Campag'. Only ill-educated and
tasteless Merkins write 'Campy'. Eugh.

However, the only difference between Campagnolo 9 speed and 10 speed
cassettes is the spacers between the cogs (I thing - Pete Biggs will
correct me if I'm wrong). So if you get a 10 speed 13-29, discard
whichever cog you like, and respace it using the spacers from your
existing 9 speed cassette, it should work all right.

The people I would go for for less common Campagnolo service parts online
are
Parker International http://www.parker-international.co.uk/
They don't list the part they want on their website, but give them a ring
on 0870 0660 340

They will sell you BBB, Marischio or Mavic cassettes to fit Campagnolo
compatible freehubs. The Mavic cassettes come with both 9 speed and 10
speed spacers, so you can build them up as you like (but the maximum cog
size is 27 tooth). They will also sell you individual
Campagnolo-compatible Marischio cogs up to 30 tooth. So your best bet is
either:

1: Buy individual Marischio cogs to modify your existing cassette to what
you want;
2: Buy a new Campagnolo 10 speed cassette and respace it with your existing
9 speed spacers, discarding one cog;
3: Buy Mavic cassette kit no 3, and one Marischio 30-tooth cog

; gif ye hes forget our auld plane Scottis quhilk your mother lerit you,
; in tymes cuming I sall wryte to you my mind in Latin, for I am nocht
; acquyntit with your Southeron
;; Letter frae Ninian Winyet tae John Knox datit 27t October 1563

On 2007-07-24, Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, davy
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Can anybody enlighten me on an online source for a Campy compatible 9
>> speed cassette 13-29 ?

> If you need to abbreviate it, it's 'Campag'. Only ill-educated and
> tasteless Merkins write 'Campy'. Eugh.
>
> However, the only difference between Campagnolo 9 speed and 10 speed
> cassettes is the spacers between the cogs (I thing - Pete Biggs will
> correct me if I'm wrong). So if you get a 10 speed 13-29, discard
> whichever cog you like,

Why not discard one of the cogs you _don't_ like :)

[...]
> 2: Buy a new Campagnolo 10 speed cassette and respace it with your existing
> 9 speed spacers, discarding one cog;

This sounds easy, but isn't there some complicated system of what
classes of sprockets are supposed to be next to what other ones? I
remember something in the booklet that came with my Campag 9 speed that
resembled the Unicode line-breaking rules. Fortunately I just used them
as they came but they are all kind of phased in some special way and may
have bits chiselled out of the sides (ramps?). Probably doesn't matter a
lot.

in message <[email protected]>, Ben C
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On 2007-07-24, Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>> in message <[email protected]>, davy
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> Can anybody enlighten me on an online source for a Campy compatible 9
>>> speed cassette 13-29 ?

>> If you need to abbreviate it, it's 'Campag'. Only ill-educated and
>> tasteless Merkins write 'Campy'. Eugh.
>>
>> However, the only difference between Campagnolo 9 speed and 10 speed
>> cassettes is the spacers between the cogs (I thing - Pete Biggs will
>> correct me if I'm wrong). So if you get a 10 speed 13-29, discard
>> whichever cog you like,

> Why not discard one of the cogs you _don't_ like :)
>
> [...]
>> 2: Buy a new Campagnolo 10 speed cassette and respace it with your
>> existing 9 speed spacers, discarding one cog;

> This sounds easy, but isn't there some complicated system of what
> classes of sprockets are supposed to be next to what other ones? I
> remember something in the booklet that came with my Campag 9 speed that
> resembled the Unicode line-breaking rules. Fortunately I just used them
> as they came but they are all kind of phased in some special way and may
> have bits chiselled out of the sides (ramps?). Probably doesn't matter a
> lot.

They do, but I don't believe it matters that much. You /may/ have a
slightly rough change up into one particular gear, but that would be the
worst of it.

'Victories are not solutions.'
;; John Hume, Northern Irish politician, on Radio Scotland 1/2/95
;; Nobel Peace Prize laureate 1998; few have deserved it so much

Thanks All, Never thought it was going to be this complicated! Might
have to go the whole hog and go to a 10 speed set up now. The cost of
10 speed chains & cassettes, which are consumables has always put me
off from an upgrade.

> If you need to abbreviate it, it's 'Campag'. Only ill-educated

Not true

> tasteless Merkins write 'Campy'.

Totally true, looking at the clothes in my wardrobe.

regards, Davy

davy wrote:
> Thanks All, Never thought it was going to be this complicated! Might
> have to go the whole hog and go to a 10 speed set up now. The cost of
> 10 speed chains & cassettes, which are consumables has always put me
> off from an upgrade.

I think you can get just the internal ratchets for the Ergo shifters, rather
than having to replace the entire lever. So upgrade costs should be just
chain, sprockets and ratchets.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

davy wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Can anybody enlighten me on an online source for a Campy compatible 9
> speed cassette 13-29 ?

Campagnolo make a 13-28 in 9 speed, which is pretty close to what you want.
They make 13-29 in 10 speed only.

I picked up a new 9 speed Veloce 13-28 for about £12 on ebay last week so
try keeping an eye out there.

--
Jim