Source For Cable Couplers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Sr .

I am looking for a source (either manufacturer or distributor) for shifter cable couplers. I know
that these are used on tandems and other bikes that can be disassembled but haven't had much luck
finding them. BTW, I am only looking to couple the inner cable and not the housing.

Actually I am really looking for an inline cable length adjuster to put in the front der cable
between the BB and front der. I am hoping that some of these cable couplers will be threaded so that
I could use it for fine cable length adjustment.

The existing downtube adjuster rotates with a turn of the headset and keeps going out of adjustment.
This way I would replace the down tube adjuster with an inline one near the front der.

I would also welcome any other suggestions on how to solve this issue.

Thanks,

Steve

Originally posted by Steve Sr .
I am looking for a source (either manufacturer or distributor) for shifter cable couplers. I know
that these are used on tandems and other bikes that can be disassembled but haven't had much luck
finding them. BTW, I am only looking to couple the inner cable and not the housing.

Actually I am really looking for an inline cable length adjuster to put in the front der cable
between the BB and front der. I am hoping that some of these cable couplers will be threaded so that
I could use it for fine cable length adjustment.

The existing downtube adjuster rotates with a turn of the headset and keeps going out of adjustment.
This way I would replace the down tube adjuster with an inline one near the front der.

I would also welcome any other suggestions on how to solve this issue.

Thanks,

Steve

There are barrel adjusters that go on the brake hoods where the STI cable comes out - only works for Shimano of course. Klein uses them (or used to) because of their internal cable routing - check with a Klein dealer.

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 16:48:44 -0500, Steve Sr. <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>The existing downtube adjuster rotates with a turn of the headset and keeps going out of
>adjustment. This way I would replace the down tube adjuster with an inline one near the front der.
>
>I would also welcome any other suggestions on how to solve this issue.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Steve
>

I don't have one in hand, but what about-

a locknut on the downtube adjuster

loctite on it

drill and tap and install a small setscrew in the side of the adjuster to lock the barrel in
position. A 4-40 would handle this small movement fine, and a 2-56 would probably work. With this,
you can loosen the setscrew to make adjustments.

Dan,

I like the locknut approach but It might be hard to find one that is the correct thread and is thin
enough to clear the downtube when rotated.

Steve

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 15:51:38 -0800, Dan Daniel <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 16:48:44 -0500, Steve Sr. <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>>
>>The existing downtube adjuster rotates with a turn of the headset and keeps going out of
>>adjustment. This way I would replace the down tube adjuster with an inline one near the front der.
>>
>>I would also welcome any other suggestions on how to solve this issue.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Steve
>>
>
>I don't have one in hand, but what about-
>
>a locknut on the downtube adjuster
>
>loctite on it
>
>drill and tap and install a small setscrew in the side of the adjuster to lock the barrel in
>position. A 4-40 would handle this small movement fine, and a 2-56 would probably work. With this,
>you can loosen the setscrew to make adjustments.

Thanks, I'll take a look at Klein the next time I'm in the LBS. There may be an issue with this
approach since I have a handlebar bag on the front.

On 7 Nov 2003 09:39:23 +1050, DiabloScott <[email protected]> wrote:

>There are barrel adjusters that go on the brake hoods where the STI cable comes out - only works
>for Shimano of course. Klein uses them (or used to) because of their internal cable routing - check
>with a Klein dealer.

Steve Sr. wrote:

> I am looking for a source (either manufacturer or distributor) for shifter cable couplers. I know
> that these are used on tandems and other bikes that can be disassembled but haven't had much luck
> finding them. BTW, I am only looking to couple the inner cable and not the housing.
>
> Actually I am really looking for an inline cable length adjuster to put in the front der cable
> between the BB and front der. I am hoping that some of these cable couplers will be threaded so
> that I could use it for fine cable length adjustment.
>
> The existing downtube adjuster rotates with a turn of the headset and keeps going out of
> adjustment. This way I would replace the down tube adjuster with an inline one near the front der.
>
> I would also welcome any other suggestions on how to solve this issue.

Not all that unusual. We have both items. write me.

--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I can't say a cable coupler is the best thing for adjustment. If you really want a coupler, both
Bruce Gordon (http://www.bgcycles.com/access.html) and DaVinci Tandems
(http://www.davincitandems.com/comp.html#inca) have them. DaVinci also has inline adjusters.

"Steve Sr." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am looking for a source (either manufacturer or distributor) for shifter cable couplers. I know
> that these are used on tandems and other bikes that can be disassembled but haven't had much luck
> finding them. BTW, I am only looking to couple the inner cable and not the housing.
>
> Actually I am really looking for an inline cable length adjuster to put in the front der cable
> between the BB and front der. I am hoping that some of these cable couplers will be threaded so
> that I could use it for fine cable length adjustment.
>
> The existing downtube adjuster rotates with a turn of the headset and keeps going out of
> adjustment. This way I would replace the down tube adjuster with an inline one near the front der.
>
> I would also welcome any other suggestions on how to solve this issue.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 16:48:44 -0500, Steve Sr. <[email protected]> may have said:

>The existing downtube adjuster rotates with a turn of the headset and keeps going out of
>adjustment. This way I would replace the down tube adjuster with an inline one near the front der.
>
>I would also welcome any other suggestions on how to solve this issue.

Low-strength loctite on the existing adjuster seems the simplest route, unless frequent readjustment
is needed. Or, remove the adjuster and gently mash the barrel a bit with a very small hammer to make
it vibration-resistant; when the adjuster is reinstalled, of course, you'll have to be careful to
avoid cross-threading, and you may expand your vocabulary measurably if you get overenthusiastic
with the hammer. (Try to mash just the center of the barrel, using a punch, if you use this trick at
all, and bear in mind that thereafter, adjustment will require pliers which will further scar the
adjuster.)

You might also get some relief by putting the spring from a carburetor adjusting screw between the
barrel and the adjuster; access to a small engine shop's junk box is invaluable if this seems likely
to be fruitful.

--
My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy. Words processed in a facility that
contains nuts.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I think I am going to try the S&S coupler on the front der. This
way I can get rid of both down tube adjusters. The rear der already has an adjustment on it which I
can make use of.

Now all I have to do find one of the S&S units. I think I know of a local shop that might have some.

Steve

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 17:36:28 GMT, Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 16:48:44 -0500, Steve Sr. <[email protected]> may have said:
>
>>The existing downtube adjuster rotates with a turn of the headset and keeps going out of
>>adjustment. This way I would replace the down tube adjuster with an inline one near the front der.
>>
>>I would also welcome any other suggestions on how to solve this issue.
>
>Low-strength loctite on the existing adjuster seems the simplest route, unless frequent
>readjustment is needed. Or, remove the adjuster and gently mash the barrel a bit with a very small
>hammer to make it vibration-resistant; when the adjuster is reinstalled, of course, you'll have to
>be careful to avoid cross-threading, and you may expand your vocabulary measurably if you get
>overenthusiastic with the hammer. (Try to mash just the center of the barrel, using a punch, if you
>use this trick at all, and bear in mind that thereafter, adjustment will require pliers which will
>further scar the adjuster.)
>
>You might also get some relief by putting the spring from a carburetor adjusting screw between the
>barrel and the adjuster; access to a small engine shop's junk box is invaluable if this seems
>likely to be fruitful.

Status
Not open for further replies.