Source for Campy CT chainrings?

John Verheul

Guest
Is anyone aware of a source (online, retail) for Campy compatible compact
chainrings? I think TA makes some that are much cheaper than Campy, but I
can't find them anywhere (I pretty much only need a 36t).

Thanks in advance for any help.

On Jan 12, 12:47 pm, "John Verheul" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Is anyone aware of a source (online, retail) for Campy compatible compact
> chainrings? I think TA makes some that are much cheaper than Campy, but I
> can't find them anywhere (I pretty much only need a 36t).
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

I got my TA 36 tooth ring from Harris Cyclery
http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=1423

I purposely bought a Centaur compact crank (aluminum, around January
2006) with a 110 BCD but the rest of the bike is Chorus.
-Mike

On Jan 12, 11:47 am, "John Verheul" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Is anyone aware of a source (online, retail) for Campy compatible compact
> chainrings? I think TA makes some that are much cheaper than Campy, but I
> can't find them anywhere (I pretty much only need a 36t).
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

I've browsed the Peter White site and he not only is a TA dealer, he
also seems like a terribly nice guy to do business with:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/chainrings.asp

John Verheul wrote:
> Is anyone aware of a source (online, retail) for Campy compatible compact
> chainrings? I think TA makes some that are much cheaper than Campy, but I
> can't find them anywhere (I pretty much only need a 36t).
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi, John -

I hope you are aware that the Chorus and Record CT cranksets (and
possibly the new Centaur Carbon CT) have one offset chainring bolt
(112 mm bcd) making off the shelf non-oem chainrings an impossible
fit.

D'ohBoy

D'ohBoy wrote:
> John Verheul wrote:
>> Is anyone aware of a source (online, retail) for Campy compatible compact
>> chainrings? I think TA makes some that are much cheaper than Campy, but I
>> can't find them anywhere (I pretty much only need a 36t).
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help.

> Hi, John -
>
> I hope you are aware that the Chorus and Record CT cranksets (and
> possibly the new Centaur Carbon CT) have one offset chainring bolt
> (112 mm bcd) making off the shelf non-oem chainrings an impossible
> fit.

And people complain about Shimano..., Sheesh!

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth

Tom Sherman wrote:
> D'ohBoy wrote:
>> John Verheul wrote:
>>> Is anyone aware of a source (online, retail) for Campy compatible
>>> compact
>>> chainrings? I think TA makes some that are much cheaper than Campy,
>>> but I
>>> can't find them anywhere (I pretty much only need a 36t).
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for any help.

>> Hi, John -
>>
>> I hope you are aware that the Chorus and Record CT cranksets (and
>> possibly the new Centaur Carbon CT) have one offset chainring bolt
>> (112 mm bcd) making off the shelf non-oem chainrings an impossible
>> fit.

> And people complain about Shimano..., Sheesh!

I have a Record crankset, 5 years old 30000 km and no sign of wear. Cost
of chainrings on a roadbike is a non issue even at Campy pricelevels.

Lou

Lou Holtman wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>> D'ohBoy wrote:
>>> I hope you are aware that the Chorus and Record CT cranksets (and
>>> possibly the new Centaur Carbon CT) have one offset chainring bolt
>>> (112 mm bcd) making off the shelf non-oem chainrings an impossible
>>> fit.

>> And people complain about Shimano..., Sheesh!
>>

> I have a Record crankset, 5 years old 30000 km and no sign of wear. Cost
> of chainrings on a roadbike is a non issue even at Campy pricelevels.

The point is Shimano always gets grief for introducing new products that
are incompatible with older products and/or standards. Why should
Campagnolo get a pass for the same behavior? European Heritage &
Mystique, perhaps?

Remember who introduced 10-speed systems, which are much more expensive
for no real benefit for most riders?

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Lou Holtman wrote:
>> Tom Sherman wrote:
>>>
>>> And people complain about Shimano..., Sheesh!
>>>

>> I have a Record crankset, 5 years old 30000 km and no sign of wear.
>> Cost of chainrings on a roadbike is a non issue even at Campy
>> pricelevels.
> >

> The point is Shimano always gets grief for introducing new products that
> are incompatible with older products and/or standards. Why should
> Campagnolo get a pass for the same behavior? European Heritage &
> Mystique, perhaps?

Huh? I bought the crankset 5 years ago and still can buy Campy
chainrings for that crankset. What is the problem? That TA doesn't make
any chainrings for that crankset?

> Remember who introduced 10-speed systems, which are much more expensive
> for no real benefit for most riders?

Nobody forces anybody to buy anything. You have choices. You make yours
, I make mine.
It is just complaining to complain. Silly...

Lou

Lou Holtman wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>> Lou Holtman wrote:

>>> I have a Record crankset, 5 years old 30000 km and no sign of wear.
>>> Cost of chainrings on a roadbike is a non issue even at Campy
>>> pricelevels.
>> >

>> The point is Shimano always gets grief for introducing new products
>> that are incompatible with older products and/or standards. Why should
>> Campagnolo get a pass for the same behavior? European Heritage &
>> Mystique, perhaps?

> Huh? I bought the crankset 5 years ago and still can buy Campy
> chainrings for that crankset. What is the problem? That TA doesn't make
> any chainrings for that crankset?

The problem is that the crank has been made non-compatible with standard
chainrings for no good reason.

This is bad behavior on Campagnolo's part, unless the cranks come with a
prominent warning of their in-compatibility with normal chain rings.

>> Remember who introduced 10-speed systems, which are much more
>> expensive for no real benefit for most riders?

> Nobody forces anybody to buy anything. You have choices. You make yours
> , I make mine.
> It is just complaining to complain. Silly...

Why does "Big C" get a pass, when "Big S" does not on these matters?

Tom Ace wrote:
> On Jan 13, 7:47 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Remember who introduced 10-speed systems, which are much more expensive
>> for no real benefit for most riders?

> I love this line from a car review: "Remind me again why Lexus needs
> an eight speed transmission? Oh yes; Mercedes has a seven speed."
> http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/reviews/lexus-ls-460/

Looks like I made the right decision to save $45K and get a Honda Civic.
In the Civic, one can feel the front tires start to drift just before
the traction limit.

Tom Ace wrote:
> On Jan 13, 7:47 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Remember who introduced 10-speed systems, which are much more expensive
>> for no real benefit for most riders?

> I love this line from a car review: "Remind me again why Lexus needs
> an eight speed transmission? Oh yes; Mercedes has a seven speed."
> http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/reviews/lexus-ls-460/

wow, the disillusionment and paranoia on this group is spectacular.
particularly when fed by insufficient understanding.

the truth is, engines are fuel efficient in relatively narrow rev
ranges. if you want better fuel economy, use more gears.

the extreme example is continuously variable transmission [cvt] -
something very popular for small cars in countries outside north
america. [why it's not popular inside north america is a whole
different topic.] it's even been sold on some cars here, subaru and
honda spring to mind, and is very reliable. the 96-2000 honda civic hx
for example can routinely achieve 55mpg, somewhat better than the
current honda civic hybrid. [it achieves this by keeping revs very
narrowly confined and varying the transmission ratio by tiny increments
to match speed.]

for higher torque associated with big heavy luxury cars however, cvt
doesn't measure up, hence a higher number of conventional gears. oh,
and if you want speed/power, you can keep the revs up near peak output
much better with more gears too.

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Lou Holtman wrote:
>> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> The point is Shimano always gets grief for introducing new products
>>> that are incompatible with older products and/or standards. Why
>>> should Campagnolo get a pass for the same behavior? European Heritage
>>> & Mystique, perhaps?

>> Huh? I bought the crankset 5 years ago and still can buy Campy
>> chainrings for that crankset. What is the problem? That TA doesn't
>> make any chainrings for that crankset?
> >

> The problem is that the crank has been made non-compatible with standard
> chainrings for no good reason.

So what. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

> This is bad behavior on Campagnolo's part, unless the cranks come with a
> prominent warning of their in-compatibility with normal chain rings.

People must understand that C and S are commercial companies that try to
make a profit. If you realize that, you know that you have to inform
yourself. Prominent warning from Campagnolo? Come on get real.

>>> Remember who introduced 10-speed systems, which are much more
>>> expensive for no real benefit for most riders?

>> Nobody forces anybody to buy anything. You have choices. You make
>> yours , I make mine.
>> It is just complaining to complain. Silly...
> >

> Why does "Big C" get a pass, when "Big S" does not on these matters?

Who cares? I don't.

Lou

"D'ohBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Hi, John -
>
> I hope you are aware that the Chorus and Record CT cranksets (and
> possibly the new Centaur Carbon CT) have one offset chainring bolt
> (112 mm bcd) making off the shelf non-oem chainrings an impossible
> fit.
>
> D'ohBoy

Correct, and the Centaur CT crankset also has custom rings. 4 of the bolts
are 110mm BCD. The fifth, that connects to the crankarm, is 112mm. I know:
bad, bad behaviour by Campagnolo. Normally I do not buy anything from a
company that goes out of its way to develop pointless proprietary standards.

But, I bought one of these cranksets (cheap) with the understanding that 5
minutes of filing with a small circular file would convert a standard
compact ring to the new 'Campy bolt circle standard'. I have done a lot
worse to bike parts.

This way I can run cheap 6-speed era Sugino rings in the inner position,
which I assume is what Campy was trying to prevent me from doing.

BTW: I also anticipate that I will have to install a slightly longer bolt
to attach the ring in the modified fifth hole.

Dave Mayer wrote:
> "D'ohBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Hi, John -
>>
>> I hope you are aware that the Chorus and Record CT cranksets (and
>> possibly the new Centaur Carbon CT) have one offset chainring bolt
>> (112 mm bcd) making off the shelf non-oem chainrings an impossible
>> fit.

> Correct, and the Centaur CT crankset also has custom rings. 4 of the bolts
> are 110mm BCD. The fifth, that connects to the crankarm, is 112mm. I know:
> bad, bad behaviour by Campagnolo. Normally I do not buy anything from a
> company that goes out of its way to develop pointless proprietary standards.

A very sensible position to take.

> But, I bought one of these cranksets (cheap) with the understanding that 5
> minutes of filing with a small circular file would convert a standard
> compact ring to the new 'Campy bolt circle standard'. I have done a lot
> worse to bike parts.
>
> This way I can run cheap 6-speed era Sugino rings in the inner position,
> which I assume is what Campy was trying to prevent me from doing.
>
> BTW: I also anticipate that I will have to install a slightly longer bolt
> to attach the ring in the modified fifth hole.

Way to beat the "man"! :)

Lou Holtman wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>> Lou Holtman wrote:

>>> Huh? I bought the crankset 5 years ago and still can buy Campy
>>> chainrings for that crankset. What is the problem? That TA doesn't
>>> make any chainrings for that crankset?
>> >

>> The problem is that the crank has been made non-compatible with
>> standard chainrings for no good reason.

> So what. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

I would not buy it (the crank) if I was aware of the deliberate action
to create incompatibility.

>> This is bad behavior on Campagnolo's part, unless the cranks come with
>> a prominent warning of their in-compatibility with normal chain rings.

> People must understand that C and S are commercial companies that try to
> make a profit. If you realize that, you know that you have to inform
> yourself. Prominent warning from Campagnolo? Come on get real.

Wanting to make a profit does not excuse the behavior. Campagnolo or
Shimano can still make a profit without resorting to tactics that are
NOT in the interests of their customers.

>>> Nobody forces anybody to buy anything. You have choices. You make
>>> yours , I make mine.
>>> It is just complaining to complain. Silly...
>> >

>> Why does "Big C" get a pass, when "Big S" does not on these matters?

> Who cares? I don't.

To judge by past postings, quite a few people do care (and rightfully so).

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Dave Mayer wrote:
>> "D'ohBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> Hi, John -
>>>
>>> I hope you are aware that the Chorus and Record CT cranksets (and
>>> possibly the new Centaur Carbon CT) have one offset chainring bolt
>>> (112 mm bcd) making off the shelf non-oem chainrings an impossible
>>> fit.

>> Correct, and the Centaur CT crankset also has custom rings. 4 of the
>> bolts are 110mm BCD. The fifth, that connects to the crankarm, is
>> 112mm. I know: bad, bad behaviour by Campagnolo. Normally I do not
>> buy anything from a company that goes out of its way to develop
>> pointless proprietary standards.

TA offers Nerius chainrings for CAmpagnolo compact in 34, 36, 38 & 39
and 48. 49,50 & 52T

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

M-gineering wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>> Dave Mayer wrote:
>>> "D'ohBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>>> Correct, and the Centaur CT crankset also has custom rings. 4 of the
>>> bolts are 110mm BCD. The fifth, that connects to the crankarm, is
>>> 112mm. I know: bad, bad behaviour by Campagnolo. Normally I do not
>>> buy anything from a company that goes out of its way to develop
>>> pointless proprietary standards.

> TA offers Nerius chainrings for CAmpagnolo compact in 34, 36, 38 & 39
> and 48. 49,50 & 52T

There you go. Complaining about nothing. If the installed base is large
enough third parties will offer replacement to make some profit to. So
people buy Campy CT cranksets. Do it for Tom ;-)

Lou

Lou Holtman wrote:
> M-gineering wrote:
>> Tom Sherman wrote:

>> TA offers Nerius chainrings for CAmpagnolo compact in 34, 36, 38 & 39
>> and 48. 49,50 & 52T

> There you go. Complaining about nothing. If the installed base is large
> enough third parties will offer replacement to make some profit to. So
> people buy Campy CT cranksets. Do it for Tom ;-)

Even if third parties offer compatible rings, that means that additional
tooling, stocking and distribution costs. Therefore, these particular
chainrings (or chainrings in general) are more expensive to the consumer
than they need to be for a given quality. Availability will also be
poorer, since it mean another item for seller's to stock and tie up
funds in - just what the LBS does NOT need.

The only legitimate reason for a manufacturer to deviate from a standard
is if that deviation provides substantial advantages elsewhere.
Offsetting one (1) chainring bolt does not meet that criterion.

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 12:30:24 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:

> Lou Holtman wrote:
>> M-gineering wrote:

>>> TA offers Nerius chainrings for CAmpagnolo compact in 34, 36, 38 & 39
>>> and 48. 49,50 & 52T

>> There you go. Complaining about nothing. If the installed base is large
>> enough third parties will offer replacement to make some profit to. So
>> people buy Campy CT cranksets. Do it for Tom ;-)

> Even if third parties offer compatible rings, that means that additional
> tooling, stocking and distribution costs. Therefore, these particular
> chainrings (or chainrings in general) are more expensive to the consumer
> than they need to be for a given quality. Availability will also be
> poorer, since it mean another item for seller's to stock and tie up
> funds in - just what the LBS does NOT need.
>
> The only legitimate reason for a manufacturer to deviate from a standard
> is if that deviation provides substantial advantages elsewhere.
> Offsetting one (1) chainring bolt does not meet that criterion.

Campy might be able to argue that the offset bolt is a quality-control
measure -- maybe it ensures that the ramps and pins line up properly
between the big and small chainring. That way Campy doesn't have to deal
with complaints from consumers who don't know how to install the
chainrings properly. I'm not saying that is the real reason (for one
thing, I don't use Campy cranks -- the 135mm bolt circle is enough to put
me off), but it's a possibility that no one here seems to have considered.