Source for cheap lights in bulk?

Gooserider

Guest
I see LOTS of unlighted cyclists in my area. I want to get some cheap lights
in bulk so I can carry a few headlights/taillights with me to hand out to
them. I wouldn't need to buy a whole bunch, but I'd like to get as many as
possible for, say, 50 bucks(that's enough to give away for me). I'd like to
find a cheap source for some like this:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=18826&subcategory_ID=4320

That's the Performance "hot spot". Performance wants $12.99 for a pair, but
those look like something that would be available generically somewhere
else. Any ideas?

I'd be open to suggestions and other lighting options on this.

Mike

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 18:11:24 -0400, Gooserider wrote:

> I see LOTS of unlighted cyclists in my area. I want to get some cheap
> lights in bulk so I can carry a few headlights/taillights with me to
> hand out to them. I wouldn't need to buy a whole bunch, but I'd like to
> get as many as possible for, say, 50 bucks(that's enough to give away
> for me). I'd like to find a cheap source for some like this:
>
> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?

SKU=18826&subcategory_ID=4320

> That's the Performance "hot spot". Performance wants $12.99 for a pair,
> but those look like something that would be available generically
> somewhere else. Any ideas?
>
> I'd be open to suggestions and other lighting options on this.
>
> Mike

www.mec.ca has the basic red rear blinky for $3.00 each and the front for
$3.50.

Its Canada of course, so with the current exchange it doesn't look as good
as it used to.

I have been thinking about handing out some of these to the guys that
loom out of the dark on the bike path in the morning. Geez! at least
wear a jacket with reflective stripes!

On Oct 16, 5:11 pm, "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I see LOTS of unlighted cyclists in my area. I want to get some cheap lights
> in bulk so I can carry a few headlights/taillights with me to hand out to
> them. I wouldn't need to buy a whole bunch, but I'd like to get as many as
> possible for, say, 50 bucks(that's enough to give away for me). I'd like to
> find a cheap source for some like this:
>
> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=18826&subcategory...
>
> That's the Performance "hot spot". Performance wants $12.99 for a pair, but
> those look like something that would be available generically somewhere
> else. Any ideas?
>
> I'd be open to suggestions and other lighting options on this.
>
> Mike

Last time I was at Walmart buying a single speed chain, I saw basic
blinkies for under $2. I think your motivation far outweighs any
schmutz your soul will be smeared with from shopping there.

On Oct 17, 11:16 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 16, 5:11 pm, "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I see LOTS of unlighted cyclists in my area. I want to get some cheap lights
> > in bulk so I can carry a few headlights/taillights with me to hand out to
> > them. I wouldn't need to buy a whole bunch, but I'd like to get as many as
> > possible for, say, 50 bucks(that's enough to give away for me). I'd like to
> > find a cheap source for some like this:

> >http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=18826&subcategory...

> > That's the Performance "hot spot". Performance wants $12.99 for a pair, but
> > those look like something that would be available generically somewhere
> > else. Any ideas?

> > I'd be open to suggestions and other lighting options on this.

> > Mike

> Last time I was at Walmart buying a single speed chain, I saw basic
> blinkies for under $2. I think your motivation far outweighs any
> schmutz your soul will be smeared with from shopping there.

Last time I tried to buy a single speed chain at wally world, the
chain was under 100 links and too short to work on my bike. I ended
up returning it and buying the chain from a LBS, since they were close
enough to the nashbar price once I factored in shipping.

Regarding the blinkies, I've seen them at the local hardware store for
$.99. That model had a clip as opposed to a mounting bracket. I
ended up clipping one to my backpack to assist my under-seat blinky,
but it would be childs play to use the clip to mount one to a bike. A
real rubber band (lobster claw style, not teachers desk style) would
probably do the trick.

On Oct 17, 10:44 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 17, 11:16 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 16, 5:11 pm, "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I see LOTS of unlighted cyclists in my area. I want to get some cheap lights
> > > in bulk so I can carry a few headlights/taillights with me to hand out to
> > > them. I wouldn't need to buy a whole bunch, but I'd like to get as many as
> > > possible for, say, 50 bucks(that's enough to give away for me). I'd like to
> > > find a cheap source for some like this:

> > >http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=18826&subcategory...

> > > That's the Performance "hot spot". Performance wants $12.99 for a pair, but
> > > those look like something that would be available generically somewhere
> > > else. Any ideas?

> > > I'd be open to suggestions and other lighting options on this.

> > > Mike

> > Last time I was at Walmart buying a single speed chain, I saw basic
> > blinkies for under $2. I think your motivation far outweighs any
> > schmutz your soul will be smeared with from shopping there.

> Last time I tried to buy a single speed chain at wally world, the
> chain was under 100 links and too short to work on my bike. I ended
> up returning it and buying the chain from a LBS, since they were close
> enough to the nashbar price once I factored in shipping.

My LBS insists on only stocking Sram PC1 chains which are terrible.
The KMC "bmx" chains I can source at places like ****'s and Wally
World are far quieter--regardless of price. Plus--it's an excuse to go
the mall and visit Hot Dog on a Stick!

On Oct 17, 11:52 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 17, 10:44 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Last time I was at Walmart buying a single speed chain, I saw basic
> > > blinkies for under $2. I think your motivation far outweighs any
> > > schmutz your soul will be smeared with from shopping there.

> > Last time I tried to buy a single speed chain at wally world, the
> > chain was under 100 links and too short to work on my bike. I ended
> > up returning it and buying the chain from a LBS, since they were close
> > enough to the nashbar price once I factored in shipping.

> My LBS insists on only stocking Sram PC1 chains which are terrible.
> The KMC "bmx" chains I can source at places like ****'s and Wally
> World are far quieter--regardless of price. Plus--it's an excuse to go
> the mall and visit Hot Dog on a Stick!- Hide quoted text -

That's a shame. The shop here in town by my office carries all sorts
of SRAM stuff, but they also stock the basic KMC BMX chain. His
actual wording was "do you need the nice stuff, or just the basic
cheap KMC?". "The cheap one will be just fine, thanks!". When
looking for a 7-speed chain my options were, again, expensive and nice
or cheap and good enough. The cheap (and good enough for me) option
there is an SRAM something or other, but again within a buck or so of
nashbar once shipping is factored. That one set me back ~$20 if i
recall. Somehow the ~$50 & up chains don't appeal to me.

Not sure if this got posted, see
"http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/FL-14".

$7.50 for headlight and tail light, batteries not included. Figure $1.50
for six AA batteries.

Ask them for a discount for 10+, they might give you a price break.

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 18:11:24 -0400, Gooserider wrote:

> I see LOTS of unlighted cyclists in my area. I want to get some cheap lights
> in bulk so I can carry a few headlights/taillights with me to hand out to
> them. I wouldn't need to buy a whole bunch, but I'd like to get as many as
> possible for, say, 50 bucks(that's enough to give away for me). I'd like to
> find a cheap source for some like this:
>
> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=18826&subcategory_ID=4320
>
> That's the Performance "hot spot". Performance wants $12.99 for a pair, but
> those look like something that would be available generically somewhere
> else. Any ideas?
>
> I'd be open to suggestions and other lighting options on this.

I've seen big lots of lights on eBay for very low prices, so you might
want to check there.

Our local police dept. in southern CA used to give out light sets for
free, as they do with baby seats. You might want to team up with the
police dept. or other organization and get a grant or something.

Matt O.

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 16:04:15 +0000, [email protected] wrote:

> On Oct 17, 11:52 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

SKU=18826&subcategory...

>> > Last time I tried to buy a single speed chain at wally world, the
>> > chain was under 100 links and too short to work on my bike. I ended
>> > up returning it and buying the chain from a LBS, since they were
>> > close enough to the nashbar price once I factored in shipping.

>> My LBS insists on only stocking Sram PC1 chains which are terrible. The
>> KMC "bmx" chains I can source at places like ****'s and Wally World are
>> far quieter--regardless of price. Plus--it's an excuse to go the mall
>> and visit Hot Dog on a Stick!- Hide quoted text -

> That's a shame. The shop here in town by my office carries all sorts of
> SRAM stuff, but they also stock the basic KMC BMX chain. His actual
> wording was "do you need the nice stuff, or just the basic cheap KMC?".
> "The cheap one will be just fine, thanks!". When looking for a 7-speed
> chain my options were, again, expensive and nice or cheap and good
> enough. The cheap (and good enough for me) option there is an SRAM
> something or other, but again within a buck or so of nashbar once
> shipping is factored. That one set me back ~$20 if i recall. Somehow
> the ~$50 & up chains don't appeal to me.

As we have jumped to chains, does anyone know where I can source a
decent 8 speed compatible chain in bulk? Like 50 foot lengths?