Source for inexpensive road frame????

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Steve and Amy Bernth, Apr 10, 2006.

  1. I have some old components laying around that I would like to use to build a
    rainy day bike. I'm looking for an inexpensive road frame but am having
    trouble locating one. I've been watching eBay, but haven't found anything
    yet that fits what I need. I found some nice ones at chucksbikes online but
    they didn't have the size I was looking for (54-56 cm) Anyone have any
    other sources?

    Tags:

  2. Mark Janeba

    Mark Janeba Guest

    Steve and Amy Bernth wrote:
    > I have some old components laying around that I would like to use to build a
    > rainy day bike. I'm looking for an inexpensive road frame but am having
    > trouble locating one. I've been watching eBay, but haven't found anything
    > yet that fits what I need. I found some nice ones at chucksbikes online but
    > they didn't have the size I was looking for (54-56 cm) Anyone have any
    > other sources?

    Garage sales. Classified ads in the local paper (especially of
    better-off suburbs). Usually there are a few gems spread among tons of
    junk, it's worth the time if you know what to look for.

    Mark

  3. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:01:34 -0500, "Steve and Amy Bernth"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have some old components laying around that I would like to use to build a
    >rainy day bike. I'm looking for an inexpensive road frame but am having
    >trouble locating one. I've been watching eBay, but haven't found anything
    >yet that fits what I need. I found some nice ones at chucksbikes online but
    >they didn't have the size I was looking for (54-56 cm) Anyone have any
    >other sources?

    Try Nashbar.

  4. Steve and Amy Bernth wrote:
    > I have some old components laying around that I would like to use to build a
    > rainy day bike. I'm looking for an inexpensive road frame but am having
    > trouble locating one. I've been watching eBay, but haven't found anything
    > yet that fits what I need. I found some nice ones at chucksbikes online but
    > they didn't have the size I was looking for (54-56 cm) Anyone have any
    > other sources?

    Soma and Surley, frame and fork for $450...

  5. Basjan

    Basjan Guest

    "Steve and Amy Bernth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I have some old components laying around that I would like to use to build
    >a rainy day bike. I'm looking for an inexpensive road frame but am having
    >trouble locating one. I've been watching eBay, but haven't found anything
    >yet that fits what I need. I found some nice ones at chucksbikes online
    >but they didn't have the size I was looking for (54-56 cm) Anyone have any
    >other sources?

    I know you said "no-Ebay", but I have found the non-English Ebay sites to be
    gold mines, given some patience. I have purchased a used De Rosa Primato
    frame and fork (Columbus EL OS; 56 cm) for $270 (Italian Ebay) and a brand
    new, classic Pinarello Treviso frame and fork (Columbus GPX, 55 cm) for $105
    (Spanish Ebay); both with shipping included! The trick is to contact the
    sellers and politely ask for shipping options outside their countries (even
    if only European/country-wide shipping is offered). Also...

    http://babelfish.altavista.com/

    is very handy for translating those hard to read websites!

    Keep well!

    Basjan

  6. Art Harris

    Art Harris Guest

    Steve and Amy Bernth wrote:

    > I have some old components laying around that I would like to use to build a
    > rainy day bike. I'm looking for an inexpensive road frame but am having
    > trouble locating one. I've been watching eBay, but haven't found anything
    > yet that fits what I need. I found some nice ones at chucksbikes online but
    > they didn't have the size I was looking for (54-56 cm) Anyone have any
    > other sources?

    Keep watching eBay. In your size, there should be plenty of choices.

    My rain bike is built around a 62 cm Schwinn Circuit (Columbus SL)
    frame. The NOS frame, fork, and headset cost me $130 on eBay.

    Art Harris

  7. Mike Reed

    Mike Reed Guest

    http://www.craigslist.org is a goldmine. People seem to think their
    nicer bikes are made of gold, but the low-end bikes are really cheap.
    You'll likely end up buying a complete bike, but you can probably find
    one for < $150 depending on where you live.

  8. Steve and Amy Bernth wrote:
    > I have some old components laying around that I would like to use to build a
    > rainy day bike. I'm looking for an inexpensive road frame but am having
    > trouble locating one. I've been watching eBay, but haven't found anything
    > yet that fits what I need. I found some nice ones at chucksbikes online but
    > they didn't have the size I was looking for (54-56 cm) Anyone have any
    > other sources?

    As already mentioned by another, Nashbar has road frames in all sizes.
    Fork with 1" steerer needed. $120 regular price but you can usually
    find discounts to get it down to $100 or so. Shipping was very cheap
    when I bought mine. Like $5 extra. Made in China. Aluminum. Size 58
    cm fits me perfectly. Rode a 200 and 300 brevet over the past two
    weekends. Will use four P clips to put a rack on the back of it for
    the 400 brevet. Its nice not caring about the frame and using and
    abusing it if needed. A riding friend bought a small Nashbar frame for
    his son after he saw mine. He will buy a couple more of the Nashbar
    frames over the years as the boy grows and just swap parts and fork to
    the next larger frame. Fairly cheap way to make sure a bike fits a
    growing kid.

    As for your plan of building up a cheap bike with parts laying around.
    Make sure you have ALL of the parts laying around. I tried this plan
    and ended up with maybe the most expensive Nashbar bike ever. Its
    almost always cheaper to find a complete bike on sale if you want
    another bike.

  9. D'ohBoy

    D'ohBoy Guest

    <snip search for rain bike>

    You can get a brand new 7000 series aluminum frame (less affected by
    rain) that weighs right around 4 lbs. from Nashbar (www.nashbar.com)
    for $129 + shipping.

    Might want to consider this.

    D'ohBoy

  10. jack sprat

    jack sprat Guest

    Butted 7005 aluminum Scattante frame/fork/headset from PerformanceBike (used
    to be SuperGo).

    $199

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=21255&subcategory_ID=3020

    I bought the $299 version with a carbon seat stay last year and I couldn't
    be happier.

    J.

    "Steve and Amy Bernth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have some old components laying around that I would like to use to build

    > rainy day bike. I'm looking for an inexpensive road frame but am having
    > trouble locating one. I've been watching eBay, but haven't found anything
    > yet that fits what I need. I found some nice ones at chucksbikes online

    but
    > they didn't have the size I was looking for (54-56 cm) Anyone have any
    > other sources?

  11. What is inexpensive ?? I tend to buy 1970's reynolds 531 db
    throughout frames on ebay for about $100 shipped, in used condition
    (no dents). Tange #1 frames can also be had at this pricepoint, often
    late 1980's or early 1990's models. Sometimes, for just a few extra
    bucks ($20), the frame comes loaded with componentry.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  12. On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:01:34 -0500, Steve and Amy Bernth wrote:

    > I have some old components laying around that I would like to use to build a
    > rainy day bike. I'm looking for an inexpensive road frame but am having
    > trouble locating one. I've been watching eBay, but haven't found anything
    > yet that fits what I need.

    Any swap meet will do. Trexlertown, PA, April 22 is one of the biggest on
    the East Coast, in the Lehigh Valley Velodrome (9:00-2:00).

    If that's too far away, look for something in your general area. These
    are the places to find bargains.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You
    _`\(,_ | soon find out the pig likes it!