Source for inexpensive road frame????

Steve and Amy Bernth

Guest
I have some old components laying around that I would like to use to build a
rainy day bike. I'm looking for an inexpensive road frame but am having
trouble locating one. I've been watching eBay, but haven't found anything
yet that fits what I need. I found some nice ones at chucksbikes online but
they didn't have the size I was looking for (54-56 cm) Anyone have any
other sources?

Steve and Amy Bernth wrote:
> I have some old components laying around that I would like to use to build a
> rainy day bike. I'm looking for an inexpensive road frame but am having
> trouble locating one. I've been watching eBay, but haven't found anything
> yet that fits what I need. I found some nice ones at chucksbikes online but
> they didn't have the size I was looking for (54-56 cm) Anyone have any
> other sources?

Garage sales. Classified ads in the local paper (especially of
better-off suburbs). Usually there are a few gems spread among tons of
junk, it's worth the time if you know what to look for.

Mark

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:01:34 -0500, "Steve and Amy Bernth"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have some old components laying around that I would like to use to build a
>rainy day bike. I'm looking for an inexpensive road frame but am having
>trouble locating one. I've been watching eBay, but haven't found anything
>yet that fits what I need. I found some nice ones at chucksbikes online but
>they didn't have the size I was looking for (54-56 cm) Anyone have any
>other sources?

Try Nashbar.

Steve and Amy Bernth wrote:
> I have some old components laying around that I would like to use to build a
> rainy day bike. I'm looking for an inexpensive road frame but am having
> trouble locating one. I've been watching eBay, but haven't found anything
> yet that fits what I need. I found some nice ones at chucksbikes online but
> they didn't have the size I was looking for (54-56 cm) Anyone have any
> other sources?

Soma and Surley, frame and fork for $450...

"Steve and Amy Bernth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I have some old components laying around that I would like to use to build
>a rainy day bike. I'm looking for an inexpensive road frame but am having
>trouble locating one. I've been watching eBay, but haven't found anything
>yet that fits what I need. I found some nice ones at chucksbikes online
>but they didn't have the size I was looking for (54-56 cm) Anyone have any
>other sources?

I know you said "no-Ebay", but I have found the non-English Ebay sites to be
gold mines, given some patience. I have purchased a used De Rosa Primato
frame and fork (Columbus EL OS; 56 cm) for $270 (Italian Ebay) and a brand
new, classic Pinarello Treviso frame and fork (Columbus GPX, 55 cm) for $105
(Spanish Ebay); both with shipping included! The trick is to contact the
sellers and politely ask for shipping options outside their countries (even
if only European/country-wide shipping is offered). Also...

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

is very handy for translating those hard to read websites!

Keep well!

Basjan

Steve and Amy Bernth wrote:

> I have some old components laying around that I would like to use to build a
> rainy day bike. I'm looking for an inexpensive road frame but am having
> trouble locating one. I've been watching eBay, but haven't found anything
> yet that fits what I need. I found some nice ones at chucksbikes online but
> they didn't have the size I was looking for (54-56 cm) Anyone have any
> other sources?

Keep watching eBay. In your size, there should be plenty of choices.

My rain bike is built around a 62 cm Schwinn Circuit (Columbus SL)
frame. The NOS frame, fork, and headset cost me $130 on eBay.

Art Harris

http://www.craigslist.org is a goldmine. People seem to think their
nicer bikes are made of gold, but the low-end bikes are really cheap.
You'll likely end up buying a complete bike, but you can probably find
one for < $150 depending on where you live.

Steve and Amy Bernth wrote:
> I have some old components laying around that I would like to use to build a
> rainy day bike. I'm looking for an inexpensive road frame but am having
> trouble locating one. I've been watching eBay, but haven't found anything
> yet that fits what I need. I found some nice ones at chucksbikes online but
> they didn't have the size I was looking for (54-56 cm) Anyone have any
> other sources?

As already mentioned by another, Nashbar has road frames in all sizes.
Fork with 1" steerer needed. $120 regular price but you can usually
find discounts to get it down to $100 or so. Shipping was very cheap
when I bought mine. Like $5 extra. Made in China. Aluminum. Size 58
cm fits me perfectly. Rode a 200 and 300 brevet over the past two
weekends. Will use four P clips to put a rack on the back of it for
the 400 brevet. Its nice not caring about the frame and using and
abusing it if needed. A riding friend bought a small Nashbar frame for
his son after he saw mine. He will buy a couple more of the Nashbar
frames over the years as the boy grows and just swap parts and fork to
the next larger frame. Fairly cheap way to make sure a bike fits a
growing kid.

As for your plan of building up a cheap bike with parts laying around.
Make sure you have ALL of the parts laying around. I tried this plan
and ended up with maybe the most expensive Nashbar bike ever. Its
almost always cheaper to find a complete bike on sale if you want
another bike.

<snip search for rain bike>

You can get a brand new 7000 series aluminum frame (less affected by
rain) that weighs right around 4 lbs. from Nashbar (www.nashbar.com)
for $129 + shipping.

Might want to consider this.

D'ohBoy

Butted 7005 aluminum Scattante frame/fork/headset from PerformanceBike (used
to be SuperGo).

$199

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=21255&subcategory_ID=3020

I bought the $299 version with a carbon seat stay last year and I couldn't
be happier.

J.

"Steve and Amy Bernth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have some old components laying around that I would like to use to build

> rainy day bike. I'm looking for an inexpensive road frame but am having
> trouble locating one. I've been watching eBay, but haven't found anything
> yet that fits what I need. I found some nice ones at chucksbikes online

but
> they didn't have the size I was looking for (54-56 cm) Anyone have any
> other sources?

What is inexpensive ?? I tend to buy 1970's reynolds 531 db
throughout frames on ebay for about $100 shipped, in used condition
(no dents). Tange #1 frames can also be had at this pricepoint, often
late 1980's or early 1990's models. Sometimes, for just a few extra
bucks ($20), the frame comes loaded with componentry.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:01:34 -0500, Steve and Amy Bernth wrote:

> I have some old components laying around that I would like to use to build a
> rainy day bike. I'm looking for an inexpensive road frame but am having
> trouble locating one. I've been watching eBay, but haven't found anything
> yet that fits what I need.

Any swap meet will do. Trexlertown, PA, April 22 is one of the biggest on
the East Coast, in the Lehigh Valley Velodrome (9:00-2:00).

If that's too far away, look for something in your general area. These
are the places to find bargains.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You
_`\(,_ | soon find out the pig likes it!