Source for long 9-speed chain

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Pete Huber, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Pete Huber

    Pete Huber Guest

    I am considering upgrading from 8- to 9-speed gearing. Considering that a new chain is a major
    expense in this transition I am looking for an affordable source for 9-speed quality chain.

    I am also curious as to wether anyone is successfully using the Campy 10-speed gearing.

    Tags:

  2. Don

    Don Guest

    Peter, I am not familiar with the Campy 10 but since it is only made for road bikes, I would guess
    the range of cogs is limited. Having cogs spaced closer is probably a poor trade off for losing
    gear range. However, a certain few riders, may find the range adequate. You did mention you were
    trying to minimize the expense of long chains. Well consider the cost of gluing 3 Campy 10 speed
    chains together.

  3. Pete,

    Hostelshoppe has Shimano 11 foot chains for $46.00:

    http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=983898488

    Not bad since it takes three chains from anywhere else, and those usually cost $20 each...

    No affiliation, just a happy customer.

    Chris Champion 1996 Vision R40 SWB USS 2001 Double Vision R85 USS

    "Pete Huber" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am considering upgrading from 8- to 9-speed gearing. Considering that a new chain is a major
    > expense in this transition I am looking for an affordable source for 9-speed quality chain.
    >
    > I am also curious as to wether anyone is successfully using the Campy 10-speed gearing.

  4. Pete,