Source for Shimano 6 speed cassette?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Billx, Jun 4, 2003.

  1. Billx

    Billx Guest

    I own an 89 Stump Jumper mountain bike with Shimano DX 6-speed indexed shifting. Looking to replace
    the 6-speed cassette. Anyone know where I can get a replacement compatible with the DX shifter?

    Tags:

  2. BillX wrote:
    > I own an 89 Stump Jumper mountain bike with Shimano DX 6-speed indexed shifting. Looking to
    > replace the 6-speed cassette. Anyone know where I can get a replacement compatible with the DX
    > shifter?

    Sure it's a cassette Freehub? 6-speed Freehubs are very uncommon, the cassette system didn't really
    catch on 'til the move to 7-speed.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html to figure out the answer.

    If it's a freewheel, we've got a good selection, see:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html#6

    If it's a cassette, you're unlikely to find a 6 speed replacement. You can replace the Freehub body
    with a 7-speed one. You'll need new shifters too for the 7-speed indexing (and, of course a new
    chain) but everything else will be compatible.

    Sheldon "Maybe, Maybe Not" Brown +----------------------------------------------+
    | Music expresses that which cannot be said | and on which it is impossible to be silent. |
    | --Victor Hugo |
    +----------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  3. Billx

    Billx Guest

    It's definitely a 6 speed freehub. Last time I replace the cassette I had to get a loose cluster of
    cogs from the now defunct Third Hand, Left Screw. For some reason Performance had a 6 speed cassette
    about four months ago in their catalog but have since discontinued.

    > BillX wrote:
    > > I own an 89 Stump Jumper mountain bike with Shimano DX 6-speed indexed shifting. Looking to
    > > replace the 6-speed cassette. Anyone know where I
    can
    > > get a replacement compatible with the DX shifter?
    >
    > Sure it's a cassette Freehub? 6-speed Freehubs are very uncommon, the cassette system didn't
    > really catch on 'til the move to 7-speed.
    >
    > See: http://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html to figure out the answer.
    >
    > If it's a freewheel, we've got a good selection, see:
    > http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html#6
    >
    > If it's a cassette, you're unlikely to find a 6 speed replacement. You can replace the Freehub
    > body with a 7-speed one. You'll need new shifters too for the 7-speed indexing (and, of course a
    > new chain) but everything else will be compatible.
    >
    > Sheldon "Maybe, Maybe Not" Brown +----------------------------------------------+
    > | Music expresses that which cannot be said | and on which it is impossible to be silent. |
    > | --Victor Hugo |
    > +----------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
    > 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    > http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  4. Dave Mayer

    Dave Mayer Guest

    BillX: if its a 6-speed cassette then its Shimano Uniglide. This means you can flip the cogs around
    to get double the life.

    Or, take a modern cassette with the gearing you want, (7, 8 9 speed, whatever) and break it apart.
    Some grinding may be required to allow you to pull out the 3 rivets. Then, replace the spacers in
    the new cassette with your 3.8mm 6-speed spacers.

    "BillX" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > It's definitely a 6 speed freehub. Last time I replace the cassette I had to get a loose cluster
    > of cogs from the now defunct Third Hand, Left
    Screw.
    > For some reason Performance had a 6 speed cassette about four months ago
    in
    > their catalog but have since discontinued.

  5. Nashbar is selling some 6s ATB cassettes for $12.95.

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=6212

    Unfortunately it looks like it has a lockring and may be Hyperglide splined. If true then you'd need
    to reuse your threaded small cog and grind the fat hyperglide splines off the inside of the cluster.

    --Paul

    In article <[email protected]>, BillX <[email protected]> wrote:
    >It's definitely a 6 speed freehub. Last time I replace the cassette I had to get a loose cluster of
    >cogs from the now defunct Third Hand, Left Screw. For some reason Performance had a 6 speed
    >cassette about four months ago in their catalog but have since discontinued.
    >
    >"Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> BillX wrote:
    >> > I own an 89 Stump Jumper mountain bike with Shimano DX 6-speed indexed shifting. Looking to
    >> > replace the 6-speed cassette. Anyone know where I
    >can
    >> > get a replacement compatible with the DX shifter?
    >>
    >> Sure it's a cassette Freehub? 6-speed Freehubs are very uncommon, the cassette system didn't
    >> really catch on 'til the move to 7-speed.
    >>
    >> See: http://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html to figure out the answer.
    >>
    >> If it's a freewheel, we've got a good selection, see:
    >> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html#6
    >>
    >> If it's a cassette, you're unlikely to find a 6 speed replacement. You can replace the Freehub
    >> body with a 7-speed one. You'll need new shifters too for the 7-speed indexing (and, of course a
    >> new chain) but everything else will be compatible.
    >>
    >> Sheldon "Maybe, Maybe Not" Brown +----------------------------------------------+
    >> | Music expresses that which cannot be said | and on which it is impossible to be silent. |
    >> | --Victor Hugo |
    >> +----------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
    >> 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    >> http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  6. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote in message
    news:<BA2Ea.35764$A%[email protected]>...
    > Nashbar is selling some 6s ATB cassettes for $12.95.
    >
    > http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=6212
    >
    > Unfortunately it looks like it has a lockring and may be Hyperglide splined. If true then you'd
    > need to reuse your threaded small cog and grind the fat hyperglide splines off the inside of the
    > cluster.
    >
    > --Paul

    Hyperglide was never available in 6-speed cassette (freewheel, maybe- Sheldon?). It was introduced
    as 7-speed equipment, IIRC.

    OP: Loose Screws is apparently still around and lists 6-speed cassettes:
    http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?c=Cassette&sc=Complete%20Shimano&tc=6%20Speed&id=714799916279

    Jeff

  7. In article <[email protected]>, Jeff Wills
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >[email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote in message
    >news:<BA2Ea.35764$A%[email protected]>...
    >> Nashbar is selling some 6s ATB cassettes for $12.95.
    >>
    >> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=6212
    >>
    >> Unfortunately it looks like it has a lockring and may be Hyperglide splined. If true then you'd
    >> need to reuse your threaded small cog and grind the fat hyperglide splines off the inside of the
    >> cluster.
    >>
    >> --Paul
    >
    >Hyperglide was never available in 6-speed cassette (freewheel, maybe- Sheldon?). It was introduced
    >as 7-speed equipment, IIRC.

    There were never any old 1980's 6-speed cassettes with a lockring either, but this one from Nashbar
    has one. I would not be surprised to find HG splines on it either - the cogs are obviously ramped
    like Shimano HG. I have no idea who made the hub to go with it, unless people are just supposed to
    stick it on a 7s cassette body with a spacer.

    --Paul

  8. Bob Taylor

    Bob Taylor Guest

    6 speed Hyperglide cassettes were (and perhaps still are) produced. I have an 11-24 one which I got
    from St. John Street Cycles in Bridgwater, England. They still offer this cassette at
    (http://www.sjscycles.com) for 16.99 GBP (about $25 US). Whether they were offered in other cog
    combinations I don't know.

    As another poster has pointed out you can just turn Uniglide cogs over and the unused side of the
    teeth gives you the equivalent of a new cog. This works for every cog except for the threaded first
    one. Even for this first one you have some alternatives:

    1. A 7 speed cog will work on a 6 speed cluster even with indexing since the derailleur is stopped
    by the limit screw. Thus if you can find only a 7 speed first cog you're still OK.

    2. If your outer cog is a 13 you can use turn it over to use the unused side of the teeth by
    getting an extra cog spacer (either 6 speed or 7 speed will do) and put it under the (turned
    over) outer cog to replace the built-in spacer which will now be on the wrong side. I don't know
    whether this will work with a 12 tooth outer cog or not.

    Bob Taylor

    news:<[email protected]>...

  9. On 6 Jun 2003 16:43:37 -0700, [email protected] (Jeff Wills) wrote:

    >Hyperglide was never available in 6-speed cassette (freewheel, maybe- Sheldon?). It was introduced
    >as 7-speed equipment, IIRC.

    I've got a HG freewheel 6 right here. Worn out a lot, though, and the sprockets even move backwards
    and forwards on the splines a bit.

    Jasper

  10. Rocky

    Rocky Guest

    3rd/hand loose screws didn't come back all of the way. All they do now is sell their left over
    inventory, web only, no phone calls. They do not have much in the way left of interest.

    rocky

    news:19602-3EE[email protected]...

  11. > > [email protected] (BillX) wrote:

    > > "It's definitely a 6 speed freehub. Last time I replace the cassette I had to get a loose
    > > cluster of cogs from the now defunct Third Hand, Left Screw. For some reason Performance had a 6
    > > speed cassette about four months ago in their catalog but have since discontinued."

    Shimano europe still lists a HG 30 6 speed cassette in the pricelist (AF, 11-24T)
    --
    Marten

  12. On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 19:46:20 -0400, "BillX" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It's definitely a 6 speed freehub. Last time I replace the cassette I had to get a loose cluster of
    >cogs from the now defunct Third Hand, Left Screw. For some reason Performance had a 6 speed
    >cassette about four months ago in their catalog but have since discontinued.

    Possibly you could use a more regularly available 7 speed cluster as source for new cogs, while
    keeping your old spacers. This might fail for the smallest cog if, as seems likely, it's UniGlide
    and that one is screwed on. (plus the smaller cogs will have integrated spacers, rather than
    separate ones. But still, for replacement of the bigger sprockets it might be an option.

    Jasper

  13. PhilippeR

    PhilippeR New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2003
    I've just bought a 1989 6-speed Raleigh road bike with SIS. I've had the same issue looking for a replacement cassette. The best link that I've found for old 6-speed Shimano isSt James Street Cycles UK

    It's in the UK so you'd have to pay postage on top but if you find what you're looking for... :D