Source for Shimano cleat screws needed

Alfred Ryder

Guest
Who was it who wrote something like,
For want of a nail, the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe, the horse was lost.
Etc.?

I just bought a pair of Shimano SPD-SL road pedals from an internet store.
The screws that came with them are not long enough to attach the cleats to
my Sidi shoes. Since the required screws have a wide flat head, I hesitate
to try to use standard screws. The internet store says they don't carry the
longer screw.

Does anyone have a suggeston for a source of the longer screws. Shimano
sells them as part number Y-42U 98060. Or do I have to go to my LBS, eat
crow, and ask them to order them for me?

"Alfred Ryder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Who was it who wrote something like,
| For want of a nail, the shoe was lost.
| For want of a shoe, the horse was lost.
| Etc.?
|
| I just bought a pair of Shimano SPD-SL road pedals from an internet store.
| The screws that came with them are not long enough to attach the cleats to
| my Sidi shoes. Since the required screws have a wide flat head, I hesitate
| to try to use standard screws. The internet store says they don't carry
the
| longer screw.
|
| Does anyone have a suggeston for a source of the longer screws. Shimano
| sells them as part number Y-42U 98060. Or do I have to go to my LBS, eat
| crow, and ask them to order them for me?

Most hardware stores have a reasonable selection of small metric fasteners.
If you don't find there exactly what you need, you might at least get a fix
on the size/thread of what you need; at which point these places might help.
I'd be surprised if most bike shops would not have some rattling around in a
'junk' drawer, or as part of an adapter kit.

http://mscfasteners.com/index.html

http://www.boltdepot.com/

ED3

"Alfred Ryder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Who was it who wrote something like,
> For want of a nail, the shoe was lost.
> For want of a shoe, the horse was lost.
> Etc.?
>
> I just bought a pair of Shimano SPD-SL road pedals from an internet store.
> The screws that came with them are not long enough to attach the cleats to
> my Sidi shoes. Since the required screws have a wide flat head, I hesitate
> to try to use standard screws. The internet store says they don't carry

the
> longer screw.
>
> Does anyone have a suggeston for a source of the longer screws. Shimano
> sells them as part number Y-42U 98060. Or do I have to go to my LBS, eat
> crow, and ask them to order them for me?

Try a good R/C model shop. They are an excellent source for oddball
hardware.

winnard

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:06:34 GMT, "Alfred Ryder" <[email protected]>
wrote:
>I just bought a pair of Shimano SPD-SL road pedals from an internet store.
>The screws that came with them are not long enough to attach the cleats to
>my Sidi shoes. Since the required screws have a wide flat head, I hesitate
>to try to use standard screws. The internet store says they don't carry the
>longer screw.

Home depot had longer screws that exactly matched the pedal's except
for their drive -- they were phillips vs allen. Worked fine for me.

http://www.thethirdhand.com/ probably has what you want, too.
--
Rick Onanian

Rick Onanian wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:06:34 GMT, "Alfred Ryder" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>I just bought a pair of Shimano SPD-SL road pedals from an internet store.
>>The screws that came with them are not long enough to attach the cleats to
>>my Sidi shoes. Since the required screws have a wide flat head, I hesitate
>>to try to use standard screws. The internet store says they don't carry the
>>longer screw.

> Home depot had longer screws that exactly matched the pedal's except
> for their drive -- they were phillips vs allen. Worked fine for me.

Bike shops are often places where you can find
bicycle-related parts. Hard to believe, but it's true!

Todd Kuzma
Heron Bicycles
Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery
LaSalle, Il 815-223-1776
http://www.heronbicycles.com
http://www.tullios.com

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:35:39 -0500, Todd Kuzma <[email protected]>
wrote:
>> Home depot had longer screws that exactly matched the pedal's except
>> for their drive -- they were phillips vs allen. Worked fine for me.

>Bike shops are often places where you can find
>bicycle-related parts. Hard to believe, but it's true!

No, bike shops are where you go for lumber. Right?
--
Rick Onanian