Source for Specialized Hardrock derailleur hanger?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jim Price, Jun 19, 2003.

  1. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Folks, A neighbour up the street has a nearly new Specialized Rockhopper, so Its probably a 2003
    model, maybe 2002. She's given up on the original supplier ever managing to fix it, even though they
    have been told exactly what is wrong - the derailleur hanger is bent. So, a few questions:

    Does anyone know if the derailleur hanger is made of something which would bend back into shape
    without seriously weakening it?

    If not, does anyone know of a shop which can actually sell me a replacement derailleur hanger for a
    Specialized Rockhopper 2003 model, preferably in London (so I can compare it with the old one)?

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

    Aye!.

    Tags:

  2. Not Me

    Not Me Guest

    Jim Price deftly scribbled:

    > Folks, A neighbour up the street has a nearly new Specialized Rockhopper, so Its probably a 2003
    > model, maybe 2002. She's given up on the original supplier ever managing to fix it, even though
    > they have been told exactly what is wrong - the derailleur hanger is bent. So, a few questions:
    >
    > Does anyone know if the derailleur hanger is made of something which would bend back into shape
    > without seriously weakening it?

    As it's a bolt-on hanger it's an Aluminium alloy which _may_ suffer when bent back, which is the
    reason they're replaceable. However, as it's shagged now, it can't do too much harm trying it, can
    it ? For use as a short term measure only. I wouldn't rely on a bent back gear hanger lasting too
    long, but then again .. ;)

    --
    Digweed

  3. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Not me, someone else wrote:
    > As it's a bolt-on hanger it's an Aluminium alloy which _may_ suffer when bent back, which is the
    > reason they're replaceable. However, as it's shagged now, it can't do too much harm trying it, can
    > it ? For use as a short term measure only. I wouldn't rely on a bent back gear hanger lasting too
    > long, but then again .. ;)

    In fact, I wrote the post after bending it back as carefully as I could. The reason I asked about
    the material is it does look like it may be cast of just about anything, and looks significantly
    different to all the other replaceable hangers I have. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

    Aye!.

  4. Adam Dugmore

    Adam Dugmore Guest

    "Jim Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Folks, A neighbour up the street has a nearly new Specialized Rockhopper, so Its probably a 2003
    > model, maybe 2002. She's given up on the original supplier ever managing to fix it, even though
    > they have been told exactly what is wrong - the derailleur hanger is bent. So, a few
    questions:

    > Does anyone know if the derailleur hanger is made of something which would bend back into shape
    > without seriously weakening it?
    >
    > If not, does anyone know of a shop which can actually sell me a replacement derailleur hanger for
    > a Specialized Rockhopper 2003 model, preferably in London (so I can compare it with the old one)?

    They're usually alloy which will work harden when is is manipulated.

    Any Speccy dealer worth its salt can get you one, but don't be surprised by the price. They're
    not cheap.

    --
    Adam Dugmore

    Honda CB500R - mangled :eek:( Kona Explosif - sparkling :eek:)

  5. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Adam Dugmore wrote:
    > "Jim Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Folks, A neighbour up the street has a nearly new Specialized Rockhopper, so Its probably a 2003
    >>model, maybe 2002. She's given up on the original supplier ever managing to fix it, even though
    >>they have been told exactly what is wrong - the derailleur hanger is bent. So, a few
    >
    > questions:
    >
    >>Does anyone know if the derailleur hanger is made of something which would bend back into shape
    >>without seriously weakening it?
    >>
    >>If not, does anyone know of a shop which can actually sell me a replacement derailleur hanger for
    >>a Specialized Rockhopper 2003 model, preferably in London (so I can compare it with the old one)?
    >>

    > They're usually alloy which will work harden when is is manipulated.

    I'm getting conflicting reports on this. As its covered by my neighbours insurance, I think a
    replacement is in order.

    > Any Speccy dealer worth its salt can get you one, but don't be surprised by the price. They're
    > not cheap.

    I've found a place with one in stock - Evans Cycles at Waterloo. Sorry, I can't follow your advice
    on the surprise: <Victor Meldrew> I can't believe it! </Victor Meldrew> Its £25! Thats got to be
    more than the same weight of gold...

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

    Aye!.

  6. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Jim Price wrote:
    > Folks, A neighbour up the street has a nearly new Specialized Rockhopper, so Its probably a 2003
    > model, maybe 2002. She's given up on the original supplier ever managing to fix it, even though
    > they have been told exactly what is wrong - the derailleur hanger is bent. So, a few questions:

    > If not, does anyone know of a shop which can actually sell me a replacement derailleur hanger for
    > a Specialized Rockhopper 2003 model, preferably in London (so I can compare it with the old one)?

    Well, the part as specified by Evans mail order hotline, and picked up from their Waterloo
    store, turned out to be for a 1999 Specialized M4. I hate it when that happens. After a personal
    visit to the store, they politely refunded the money for that, and promised to order the proper
    part on Monday.

    Who fancies starting a campaign to introduce an International Standard derailleur hanger?