source of rose petals for cooking

Bob B

Guest
I have a couple Indian recipes I really would like to try
that use rose petals as an important ingredient. I don't
seem to be able to locate a mail-order source of edible rose
petals. Can anyone suggest a source you have had luck with?

Thanks a lot!

Bob & Cynthia

"Bob B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a couple Indian recipes I really would like to try
> that use rose petals as an important ingredient. I don't
> seem to be able to locate a mail-order source of edible
> rose petals. Can anyone suggest a source you have had
> luck with?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Bob & Cynthia

If internet searching doesn't come up with anything, you
might go to your local bookstore and peruse the Indian
cookbooks. Many times you'll find a source for ingredients.

Jack Rosebud

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 16:48:27 -0500, Bob B <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I have a couple Indian recipes I really would like to try
>that use rose petals as an important ingredient. I don't
>seem to be able to locate a mail-order source of edible
>rose petals. Can anyone suggest a source you have had
>luck with?

Try the florist or health food and holistic health shops.
They have plenty of roses that die or aren't the best of
shape and they

rituals of all kinds.

I don't know what's considered "food grade rose petals", and
if the florists qualify, but if not there's always rose
water sold bottled (specifically for cooking).

-sw

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 16:48:27 -0500, Bob B
> <[email protected]> wrote:

> I don't know what's considered "food grade rose petals",
> and if the florists qualify, but if not there's always
> rose water sold bottled (specifically for cooking).

I believe that means primarily roses without pesticide
applied. (Fungicide, insecticide) I don't know if there is
any rose that is inherently poisonous (note: apples and
pears both belong to the rose family) but it would be wise
to check with a poison control center before trying a
particular variety. If they say it's nontoxic and it's not
been treated with pesticides, then go for it.

flowers from a florist have huge amounts of chemicals in and
on them from chemical fertilizers and numerous kinds of
pesticides. You cannot wash it of because it is absorbed
into the petals.

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 21:10:09 -0500, "snudle" <[email protected]> wrote:

>flowers from a florist have huge amounts of chemicals in
>and on them from chemical fertilizers and numerous kinds of
>pesticides. You cannot wash it of because it is absorbed
>into the petals.

Do they sell "organic" roses nowdays, then?

-sw

What about the petals from my own rose bushes? Would they
work for cooking? I don't use spray on them. The varieties
were chosen for color and look, not for taste.

--Lia

Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 21:10:09 -0500, "snudle"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>flowers from a florist have huge amounts of chemicals in
>>and on them from chemical fertilizers and numerous kinds
>>of pesticides. You cannot wash it of because it is
>>absorbed into the petals.
>
> Do they sell "organic" roses nowdays, then?
>
> -sw

Uh, yea Dumbass

--
StocksRus®

In article <[email protected]>,
"StocksRus®" <stocksRus®@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote in news:dqudne_rMpFpWM7dRVn-
> [email protected]:
>
> > On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 21:10:09 -0500, "snudle"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>flowers from a florist have huge amounts of chemicals in
> >>and on them from chemical fertilizers and numerous kinds
> >>of pesticides. You cannot wash it of because it is
> >>absorbed into the petals.
> >
> > Do they sell "organic" roses nowdays, then?
> >
> > -sw
> >

> Uh, yea Dumbass

<plonk>

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
&include=0&userid=katra

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 03:30:42 GMT, "StocksRus®"
<stocksRus®@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Uh, yea Dumbass

Listen moron: if you want to criticize me or call me names,
there's a time and place to do it. Wait until I say
something you disagree with (or can poke fun at), and then
state your complaint.

Otherwise you're just being a putz following me around like
a little poodle barking misplaced nonsense like this,
annoying everybody around you and brining a grin to me.

We already have one too many Tourette Boys (Sheldon) in RFC.

ObFood: Another peanut butter and sriracha sandwich and a
four-pack of Murphy's Irish Stout. That stuff must be non-
alcoholic because I slammed all 4 of 'em and didn't even
catch a buzz. Must go buy more beer...

-sw

In article <[email protected]>,
Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 03:30:42 GMT, "StocksRus®"
> <stocksRus®@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Uh, yea Dumbass
>
> Listen moron: if you want to criticize me or call me
> names, there's a time and place to do it. Wait until I say
> something you disagree with (or can poke fun at), and then
> state your complaint.
>
> Otherwise you're just being a putz following me around
> like a little poodle barking misplaced nonsense like this,
> annoying everybody around you and brining a grin to me.
>
> We already have one too many Tourette Boys (Sheldon) in
> RFC.
>
> ObFood: Another peanut butter and sriracha sandwich and a
> four-pack of Murphy's Irish Stout. That stuff must be non-
> alcoholic because I slammed all 4 of 'em and didn't even
> catch a buzz. Must go buy more beer...
>
> -sw

Nah.

Cuervo.

That's the ticket! :)

Kat

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
&include=0&userid=katra

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:25:08 -0600, Katra
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> ObFood: Another peanut butter and sriracha sandwich and a
>> four-pack of Murphy's Irish Stout. That stuff must be non-
>> alcoholic because I slammed all 4 of 'em and didn't even
>> catch a buzz. Must go buy more beer...
>
>Nah.
>
>Cuervo.
>
>That's the ticket! :)

It was past 9:00pm ... And tomorrow is Sunday, so only beer
for me until Monday morning 9:am (Thanks to Texas laws).

-sw

In article <[email protected]>,
Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:25:08 -0600, Katra
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >> ObFood: Another peanut butter and sriracha sandwich and
> >> a four-pack of Murphy's Irish Stout. That stuff must be
> >> non-alcoholic because I slammed all 4 of 'em and didn't
> >> even catch a buzz. Must go buy more beer...
> >
> >Nah.
> >
> >Cuervo.
> >
> >That's the ticket! :)
>
> It was past 9:00pm ... And tomorrow is Sunday, so
> only beer for me until Monday morning 9:am (Thanks to
> Texas laws).
>
> -sw

Heh, I understand... ;-) Whatabout vino?

Higher proof. <G>

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
&include=0&userid=katra

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 23:51:22 -0600, Katra
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Heh, I understand... ;-) Whatabout vino?
>
>Higher proof. <G>

Like some 13.9% Richards Wild Irish Rose (Anything over 13.9
is considered booze in TX).

Heh. I actually drank some of that last week.

-sw

In article <[email protected]>,
Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 23:51:22 -0600, Katra
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Heh, I understand... ;-) Whatabout vino?
> >
> >Higher proof. <G>
>
> Like some 13.9% Richards Wild Irish Rose (Anything over
> 13.9 is considered booze in TX).
>
> Heh. I actually drank some of that last week.
>
> -sw

T-bird....... <ducking and running>

K.

--

"Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> What about the petals from my own rose bushes? Would they
> work for cooking? I don't use spray on them. The varieties
> were chosen for color and look, not for taste.
>
> --Lia

As long as you don't spray them they will be fine. I used to
enjoy rose petal and mayonnaise sandwiches when I was young.
Now I only occasionally use them in salads or as decoration.

Charlie

Charles Gifford wrote:

> As long as you don't spray them they will be fine. I used
> to enjoy rose petal and mayonnaise sandwiches when I was
> young. Now I only occasionally use them in salads or as
> decoration.

Uh-oh. You would have thought the rose bushes were safe
from my cooking mania, but they turn out to be a fruit
garden afterall. When do I pick them for cooking? When
they're fully ripe, um, er, flowered and falling off the
stem? Or earlier?

--Lia

>On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 03:11:54 GMT, Julia Altshuler
><[email protected]> wrote: What about the petals from
>my own rose bushes? Would they work for cooking? I don't
>use spray on them. The varieties were chosen for color and
>look, not for taste.

I use the rose petals from my own rose bushes for making
rose petal jam and jelly. I have several different kinds of
rose bushes, and I never spray any of them. The most
flavorful seem to be the ones that are the most fragrant,
but they all work well.

Terrel

--
Spamblocker in address. If you must reply by e-mail, remove
the last three letters of the alphabet and .invalid

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Charles Gifford wrote:
>
> > As long as you don't spray them they will be fine. I
> > used to enjoy rose petal and mayonnaise sandwiches when
> > I was young. Now I only occasionally use them in salads
> > or as decoration.
>
> Uh-oh. You would have thought the rose bushes were safe
> from my cooking mania, but they turn out to be a fruit
> garden afterall. When do I pick them for cooking? When
> they're fully ripe, um, er, flowered and falling off the
> stem? Or earlier?
>
> --Lia

They seem to have the most flavour when the rose has just
opened fully, but the petals haven't curved backwards yet.
So definitely before they are ready to fall off. Might vary
with the type of rose and the climate. Pick them first thing
in the morning.