source of rose petals for cooking

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Bob B, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. Bob B

    Bob B Guest

    I have a couple Indian recipes I really would like to try
    that use rose petals as an important ingredient. I don't
    seem to be able to locate a mail-order source of edible rose
    petals. Can anyone suggest a source you have had luck with?

    Thanks a lot!

    Bob & Cynthia

    Tags:

  2. "Bob B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a couple Indian recipes I really would like to try
    > that use rose petals as an important ingredient. I don't
    > seem to be able to locate a mail-order source of edible
    > rose petals. Can anyone suggest a source you have had
    > luck with?
    >
    > Thanks a lot!
    >
    > Bob & Cynthia

    If internet searching doesn't come up with anything, you
    might go to your local bookstore and peruse the Indian
    cookbooks. Many times you'll find a source for ingredients.

    Jack Rosebud

  3. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 16:48:27 -0500, Bob B <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I have a couple Indian recipes I really would like to try
    >that use rose petals as an important ingredient. I don't
    >seem to be able to locate a mail-order source of edible
    >rose petals. Can anyone suggest a source you have had
    >luck with?

    Try the florist or health food and holistic health shops.
    They have plenty of roses that die or aren't the best of
    shape and they

    rituals of all kinds.

    I don't know what's considered "food grade rose petals", and
    if the florists qualify, but if not there's always rose
    water sold bottled (specifically for cooking).

    -sw

  4. "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 16:48:27 -0500, Bob B
    > <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I don't know what's considered "food grade rose petals",
    > and if the florists qualify, but if not there's always
    > rose water sold bottled (specifically for cooking).

    I believe that means primarily roses without pesticide
    applied. (Fungicide, insecticide) I don't know if there is
    any rose that is inherently poisonous (note: apples and
    pears both belong to the rose family) but it would be wise
    to check with a poison control center before trying a
    particular variety. If they say it's nontoxic and it's not
    been treated with pesticides, then go for it.

  5. Snudle

    Snudle Guest

    flowers from a florist have huge amounts of chemicals in and
    on them from chemical fertilizers and numerous kinds of
    pesticides. You cannot wash it of because it is absorbed
    into the petals.

    "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 16:48:27 -0500, Bob B
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I have a couple Indian recipes I really would like to try
    > >that use rose petals as an important ingredient. I don't
    > >seem to be able to locate a mail-order source of edible
    > >rose petals. Can anyone suggest a source you have had
    > >luck with?
    >
    > Try the florist or health food and holistic health shops.
    > They have plenty of roses that die or aren't the best of
    > shape and they

    > rituals of all kinds.
    >
    > I don't know what's considered "food grade rose petals",
    > and if the florists qualify, but if not there's always
    > rose water sold bottled (specifically for cooking).
    >
    > -sw

  6. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 21:10:09 -0500, "snudle" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >flowers from a florist have huge amounts of chemicals in
    >and on them from chemical fertilizers and numerous kinds of
    >pesticides. You cannot wash it of because it is absorbed
    >into the petals.

    Do they sell "organic" roses nowdays, then?

    -sw

  7. What about the petals from my own rose bushes? Would they
    work for cooking? I don't use spray on them. The varieties
    were chosen for color and look, not for taste.

    --Lia

  8. Stocksrus®

    Stocksrus® Guest

    Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 21:10:09 -0500, "snudle"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>flowers from a florist have huge amounts of chemicals in
    >>and on them from chemical fertilizers and numerous kinds
    >>of pesticides. You cannot wash it of because it is
    >>absorbed into the petals.
    >
    > Do they sell "organic" roses nowdays, then?
    >
    > -sw

    Uh, yea Dumbass

    --
    StocksRus®

  9. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "StocksRus®" <stocksRus®@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote in news:dqudne_rMpFpWM7dRVn-
    > [email protected]:
    >
    > > On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 21:10:09 -0500, "snudle"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >>flowers from a florist have huge amounts of chemicals in
    > >>and on them from chemical fertilizers and numerous kinds
    > >>of pesticides. You cannot wash it of because it is
    > >>absorbed into the petals.
    > >
    > > Do they sell "organic" roses nowdays, then?
    > >
    > > -sw
    > >

    > Uh, yea Dumbass

    <plonk>

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  10. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 03:30:42 GMT, "StocksRus®"
    <stocksRus®@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Uh, yea Dumbass

    Listen moron: if you want to criticize me or call me names,
    there's a time and place to do it. Wait until I say
    something you disagree with (or can poke fun at), and then
    state your complaint.

    Otherwise you're just being a putz following me around like
    a little poodle barking misplaced nonsense like this,
    annoying everybody around you and brining a grin to me.

    We already have one too many Tourette Boys (Sheldon) in RFC.

    ObFood: Another peanut butter and sriracha sandwich and a
    four-pack of Murphy's Irish Stout. That stuff must be non-
    alcoholic because I slammed all 4 of 'em and didn't even
    catch a buzz. Must go buy more beer...

    -sw

  11. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 03:30:42 GMT, "StocksRus®"
    > <stocksRus®@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Uh, yea Dumbass
    >
    > Listen moron: if you want to criticize me or call me
    > names, there's a time and place to do it. Wait until I say
    > something you disagree with (or can poke fun at), and then
    > state your complaint.
    >
    > Otherwise you're just being a putz following me around
    > like a little poodle barking misplaced nonsense like this,
    > annoying everybody around you and brining a grin to me.
    >
    > We already have one too many Tourette Boys (Sheldon) in
    > RFC.
    >
    > ObFood: Another peanut butter and sriracha sandwich and a
    > four-pack of Murphy's Irish Stout. That stuff must be non-
    > alcoholic because I slammed all 4 of 'em and didn't even
    > catch a buzz. Must go buy more beer...
    >
    > -sw

    Nah.

    Cuervo.

    That's the ticket! :)

    Kat

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  12. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:25:08 -0600, Katra
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> ObFood: Another peanut butter and sriracha sandwich and a
    >> four-pack of Murphy's Irish Stout. That stuff must be non-
    >> alcoholic because I slammed all 4 of 'em and didn't even
    >> catch a buzz. Must go buy more beer...
    >
    >Nah.
    >
    >Cuervo.
    >
    >That's the ticket! :)

    It was past 9:00pm ... And tomorrow is Sunday, so only beer
    for me until Monday morning 9:am (Thanks to Texas laws).

    -sw

  13. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:25:08 -0600, Katra
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >> ObFood: Another peanut butter and sriracha sandwich and
    > >> a four-pack of Murphy's Irish Stout. That stuff must be
    > >> non-alcoholic because I slammed all 4 of 'em and didn't
    > >> even catch a buzz. Must go buy more beer...
    > >
    > >Nah.
    > >
    > >Cuervo.
    > >
    > >That's the ticket! :)
    >
    > It was past 9:00pm ... And tomorrow is Sunday, so
    > only beer for me until Monday morning 9:am (Thanks to
    > Texas laws).
    >
    > -sw

    Heh, I understand... ;-) Whatabout vino?

    Higher proof. <G>

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  14. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 23:51:22 -0600, Katra
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Heh, I understand... ;-) Whatabout vino?
    >
    >Higher proof. <G>

    Like some 13.9% Richards Wild Irish Rose (Anything over 13.9
    is considered booze in TX).

    Heh. I actually drank some of that last week.

    -sw

  15. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 23:51:22 -0600, Katra
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Heh, I understand... ;-) Whatabout vino?
    > >
    > >Higher proof. <G>
    >
    > Like some 13.9% Richards Wild Irish Rose (Anything over
    > 13.9 is considered booze in TX).
    >
    > Heh. I actually drank some of that last week.
    >
    > -sw

    T-bird....... <ducking and running>

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  16. "Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s02...
    > What about the petals from my own rose bushes? Would they
    > work for cooking? I don't use spray on them. The varieties
    > were chosen for color and look, not for taste.
    >
    > --Lia

    As long as you don't spray them they will be fine. I used to
    enjoy rose petal and mayonnaise sandwiches when I was young.
    Now I only occasionally use them in salads or as decoration.

    Charlie

  17. Charles Gifford wrote:

    > As long as you don't spray them they will be fine. I used
    > to enjoy rose petal and mayonnaise sandwiches when I was
    > young. Now I only occasionally use them in salads or as
    > decoration.

    Uh-oh. You would have thought the rose bushes were safe
    from my cooking mania, but they turn out to be a fruit
    garden afterall. When do I pick them for cooking? When
    they're fully ripe, um, er, flowered and falling off the
    stem? Or earlier?

    --Lia

  18. Terrel

    Terrel Guest

    >On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 03:11:54 GMT, Julia Altshuler
    ><[email protected]> wrote: What about the petals from
    >my own rose bushes? Would they work for cooking? I don't
    >use spray on them. The varieties were chosen for color and
    >look, not for taste.

    I use the rose petals from my own rose bushes for making
    rose petal jam and jelly. I have several different kinds of
    rose bushes, and I never spray any of them. The most
    flavorful seem to be the ones that are the most fragrant,
    but they all work well.

    Terrel

    --
    Spamblocker in address. If you must reply by e-mail, remove
    the last three letters of the alphabet and .invalid

  19. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    Julia Altshuler wrote:

    > Charles Gifford wrote:
    >
    > > As long as you don't spray them they will be fine. I
    > > used to enjoy rose petal and mayonnaise sandwiches when
    > > I was young. Now I only occasionally use them in salads
    > > or as decoration.
    >
    > Uh-oh. You would have thought the rose bushes were safe
    > from my cooking mania, but they turn out to be a fruit
    > garden afterall. When do I pick them for cooking? When
    > they're fully ripe, um, er, flowered and falling off the
    > stem? Or earlier?
    >
    > --Lia

    They seem to have the most flavour when the rose has just
    opened fully, but the petals haven't curved backwards yet.
    So definitely before they are ready to fall off. Might vary
    with the type of rose and the climate. Pick them first thing
    in the morning.