source of rose petals for cooking

_Plain Delight_ says to cut off the white part at the bottom
of a red rose petal, for it can be bitter.

Arri London <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
> They seem to have the most flavour when the rose has just
> opened fully, but the petals haven't curved backwards yet.
> So definitely before they are ready to fall off. Might
> vary with the type of rose and the climate. Pick them
> first thing in the morning.

She's right - they have the highest moisture content in the
morning. As long as you haven't sprayed them, or used any
systemic pesticides, they should be fine. If you need to buy
roses, I've read that Trader Joe's gets their flowers from
an organic nursery - and they're reasonably priced.

- Chris
---
http://www.sudairy.com/