South African cyclist of the year

G

FYI - snipped from www.cyclingnews.com

[/siz]
Votes are currently being taken on line at www.supercycling.co.za for the 2001 South African Cyclist of the Year Award, a major TV event to be awarded on November 19. Votes are being tallied for 11 South African cyclists, and at present the votes are dead even for the lead between Mountain Biker Greg Minnaar and professional road cyclist Robbie Hunter.

I voted Hunter because it started a few months ago but if i had to choose now it'd be Minnaar because he's just become Number 1 downhiller in the world 8)

I think that what Greg has achieved is awesome, but Hunter gets my vote.

AFPhunterline.JPG

That photo is a perfect shot of him beating Eric Zabel on his left. I can't wait to see what he's going to do at Mapei next year because that'll give him lots of chance to ride all the classics which are his favourite races.

He's still not rated #1 in the world though.... and Greg is. ;)
Hope he wins the world champs which are happening soon.

There's an international track meeting on in Cape Town at the moment...was there yesterday and going again tonight. Robbie is also competing, and has JP van Zyl as his team mate. Did Robbie make an entrance at the place. The whole vellodrome was quiet until he made his appearence!
Let me tell you, the guy has some serious speed in those legs :D. He isn't too big though, quite regular sized...compared to some of the sprint freaks. One of their thighs is about the size of both of mine :eek: . But you can see where it makes a difference...once they start pumping it up at 80 km/h :D

He's not big at all (I stood next to him when he was interviwed at the 2000 Jock) but he's got pretty good size thighs for his size.

i like his facial expression ;D. It looks like you does a fair bit of wieght training.

So who is this greg dude?.

So who is this greg dude?.

Greg Minnaar turned pro last year in the downhill circuit scene and has since then never looked back. This year he become World Downhill Champ when he won the World Cup finals in Canada. He is affectionately know as 'The Fresh Prince of Big Air'.
Here are some of his achievements:

3rd 2001 UCI World Champs
1st 2001 UCI World Cup Downhill Ranking
7th 2001 UCI World Cup Dual Ranking
4th 2001 UCI World Downhill Ranking
8th 2001 UCI World Dual Ranking

Not bad for a boy, eh?

I think Greg is the luckiest guy in the world...he gets to travel and play with Missy Giove...one crazy girl ;)

lance is clean
Guest said:
FYI - snipped from www.cyclingnews.com

[/siz]
Votes are currently being taken on line at www.supercycling.co.za for the 2001 South African Cyclist of the Year Award, a major TV event to be awarded on November 19. Votes are being tallied for 11 South African cyclists, and at present the votes are dead even for the lead between Mountain Biker Greg Minnaar and professional road cyclist Robbie Hunter.