South Florida Mountain Bike Video

Dan Volker

Guest
This trail is our Fort Pierce trail. It is not quite as technical as Quiet
Waters, but is considerably more fun, and still plenty technical. I have no
doubt that this particular trail is good for single speeders, as it has no
long straights. I am probably just begging for more abuse, in putting this
up, but here goes:

Streaming DSL version http://www.gbtg.net/trail/fort-pierce-
dsl.asx Online now and ready to watch..should have about an
8 second buffer prior to play. You DO need the free Windows
Media Player version 9 to play any of these...
http://www.windowsmedia.com/download if you don't have it.

Downloadable 500kps version http://www.gbtg.net/trail/fort-
pierce1.wmv if you right click and hit "save target as".
Should be finished uploading to server by 10:30am EST

Downloadable 100kps version for 56k modem users to download
http://www.gbtg.net/trail/fort-pierce-slow-dl.wmv should be
finished uploading to server by 10am EST.

This is my first try at helmet cam videos, so have a little
slack ready for at least this ;-)

If the video plays dark, you can hit VIEW, Enhancements, and
then VIDEO SETTINGS on the media player, and you can pull
the brightness up where you want it.

Also, if you watch either the DSL stream or the 500 kps
download, you can play them at full screen. The 100kps
version you can probably zoom to double, but I have not
looked at it yet. The whole video is 28 minutes long--its
most of one lap, going pretty fast. I had to pull the sound
track way down for the ambient noise, or all you would have
heard was my locomotive volume breathing :)

Dan V

Dan Volker wrote:
> This trail is our Fort Pierce trail. It is not quite as
> technical as Quiet Waters, but is considerably more fun,
> and still plenty technical. I have no doubt that this
> particular trail is good for single speeders, as it has no
> long straights. I am probably just begging for more abuse,
> in putting this up, but here goes: {snip}

OK, I watched 2 1/2 minutes of it; couldn't take the tune
much longer!

Good job on the vid for first try; please note there's a
reason why most of 'em are 3-6 minutes long (not 28!).

Looks like a fun place to ride, but not "technical" in any
sense of the word. (Ruts, sharp rocks, ledges, etc.)

Dude's got a dorky outfit on (did Miles travel East
recently?!?).

A strong single speeder would HAUL ASS on that trail.

I'm sure others will have further pertinent comments
forthwithly :)

Bill "hope I followed all directions on how to view
correctly" S.

"Dan Volker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:t%[email protected]...
> This trail is our Fort Pierce trail. It is not quite as
> technical as Quiet Waters, but is considerably more fun,
> and still plenty technical. I have
no
> doubt that this particular trail is good for single
> speeders, as it has no long straights. I am probably just
> begging for more abuse

Yes, I'm afraid you've teed yourself up...

> Streaming DSL version http://www.gbtg.net/trail/fort-pierce-
> dsl.asx

<snip>

> This is my first try at helmet cam videos, so have a
> little slack ready
for
> at least this ;-)

Your video skills are awesome.

> I had to pull the sound track way down for the ambient
> noise, or all you would have heard was my locomotive
> volume breathing :)
>
> Dan V

I'll give you credit for being willing to drive 12 hrs and
posting this video, but the whole 'knock your teeth out at
the bar' attitude was pathetic.

The simple fact is that people are doing things on bikes
that you can't imagine at speeds you can't imagine. They
used to call it 'seeing the elephant' because try and
describe an elephant to someone who hasn't seen one. They're
confused and think you're joking. Once they see one they
go... Oh! Now I understand.

Feel free to post when you see the elephant.

"Dan Volker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:t%[email protected]...
> This trail is our Fort Pierce trail. It is not quite as
> technical as Quiet Waters, but is considerably more fun,
> and still plenty technical. I have
no
> doubt that this particular trail is good for single
> speeders, as it has no long straights. I am probably just
> begging for more abuse, in putting
this
> up, but here goes:

Even being intimately familiar with the trail-flattening
effects of video, I saw nothing in that video that would
remotely qualify as "plenty techincal."

When coupled with the slow pace, I ahve to assume that
you're joking. If you're not, well I rest my case about your
cluewbieness.

Dan Volker wrote:
> This trail is our Fort Pierce trail. It is not quite as
> technical as Quiet Waters, but is considerably more fun,
> and still plenty technical. I have no doubt that this
> particular trail is good for single speeders, as it has no
> long straights. I am probably just begging for more abuse,
> in putting this up, but here goes:
>
> Streaming DSL version http://www.gbtg.net/trail/fort-pierce-
> dsl.asx Online now and ready to watch..should have about
> an 8 second buffer prior to play. You DO need the free
> Windows Media Player version 9 to play any of these...
> http://www.windowsmedia.com/download if you don't have it.
>
> Downloadable 500kps version http://www.gbtg.net/trail/fort-
> pierce1.wmv if you right click and hit "save target as".
> Should be finished uploading to server by 10:30am EST
>

> Downloadable 100kps version for 56k modem users to
> download http://www.gbtg.net/trail/fort-pierce-slow-dl.wmv
> should be finished uploading to server by 10am EST.
>

> This is my first try at helmet cam videos, so have a
> little slack ready for at least this ;-)
>
> If the video plays dark, you can hit VIEW, Enhancements,
> and then VIDEO SETTINGS on the media player, and you can
> pull the brightness up where you want it.
>
> Also, if you watch either the DSL stream or the 500 kps
> download, you can play them at full screen. The 100kps
> version you can probably zoom to double, but I have not
> looked at it yet. The whole video is 28 minutes long--its
> most of one lap, going pretty fast. I had to pull the
> sound track way down for the ambient noise, or all you
> would have heard was my locomotive volume breathing :)
>
> Dan V

I'm on a T-3 and the dl is going to take 4+ hours?!?! How
about chopping it into smaller bite-sized morsels of 30 - 40
MB each? I'm really curious about the terrain in marshy
Florida. I was in Orlando a few weeks ago and the only thing
I found that resembled a hill had ants coming out of it.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
> "Dan Volker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:t%[email protected]...
>> This trail is our Fort Pierce trail. It is not quite as
>> technical as Quiet Waters, but is considerably more fun,
>> and still plenty technical. I have no doubt that this
>> particular trail is good for single speeders, as it has
>> no long straights. I am probably just begging for more
>> abuse, in putting this up, but here goes:
>
> Even being intimately familiar with the trail-flattening
> effects of video, I saw nothing in that video that would
> remotely qualify as "plenty techincal."
>
> When coupled with the slow pace, I ahve to assume that
> you're joking. If you're not, well I rest my case about
> your cluewbieness.

so it's not worth the wait for my slow dsl download of
100MB of video?

Penny

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
> > "Dan Volker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:t%[email protected]...
> >> This trail is our Fort Pierce trail. It is not quite as
> >> technical as Quiet Waters, but is considerably more
> >> fun, and still plenty technical. I have no doubt that
> >> this particular trail is good for single speeders, as
> >> it has no long straights. I am probably just begging
> >> for more abuse, in putting this up, but here goes:
> >
> > Even being intimately familiar with the trail-flattening
> > effects of video, I saw nothing in that video that would
> > remotely qualify as "plenty techincal."
> >
> > When coupled with the slow pace, I ahve to assume that
> > you're joking. If you're not, well I rest my case about
> > your cluewbieness.
>
> so it's not worth the wait for my slow dsl download of
> 100MB of video?

I really, REALLY doubt it. I sure ain't going to bother just
so I can laugh at the ridiculousness of it all.

Greg

Dan Volker wrote:
> This trail is our Fort Pierce trail. Dan V

Thanks Dan, It is always interesting for me to see the other
areas that folks get to ride. I don't get to travel very far
and ride different environments, but then again I don't
really have to. The four corner's states provide a awful lot
of diversity, though I can't recall much that looks like
that. Fun is fun, keep having it.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

Dan Volker wrote:
> This trail is our Fort Pierce trail. It is not quite as
> technical as Quiet Waters, but is considerably more fun,
> and still plenty technical. I have no doubt that this
> particular trail is good for single speeders, as it has no
> long straights. I am probably just begging for more abuse,
> in putting this up, but here goes:
>
> Streaming DSL version http://www.gbtg.net/trail/fort-pierce-
> dsl.asx Online now and ready to watch..should have about
> an 8 second buffer prior to play. You DO need the free
> Windows Media Player version 9 to play any of these...
> http://www.windowsmedia.com/download if you don't have it.

Looks like a nice place to ride. Real different from Salida.
Technical? I don't ride the really "technical" stuff around
here, and what I ride makes that look pretty easy. Fun sure,
definitely worth riding, but not a bike great bike handling
challenge. TM mentioned "seeing the elephant". I think the
elephant would show up at Ft. Pierce for a snack and that's
about it. :)

Shawn

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> I'm on a T-3 and the dl is going to take 4+ hours?!?! How
> about chopping it into smaller bite-sized morsels of 30 -
> 40 MB each? I'm really curious about the terrain in
> marshy Florida. I was in Orlando a few weeks ago and the
> only thing I found that resembled a hill had ants coming
> out of it.

Just stream it -- you'll know everything within 30 seconds.

Bill "made for FL trails; danger to self and others in CA"
S.

Penny S wrote:

> so it's not worth the wait for my slow dsl download of
> 100MB of video?

The download site didn't work for me anyway (prolly not all
loaded yet at the time), but the streaming link worked fine.

After about two minutes I'd had enough.

Bill "still think Dan should just create a new persona and
try starting over" S.

S o r n i wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>> I'm on a T-3 and the dl is going to take 4+ hours?!?! How
>> about chopping it into smaller bite-sized morsels of 30 -
>> 40 MB each? I'm really curious about the terrain in
>> marshy Florida. I was in Orlando a few weeks ago and the
>> only thing I found that resembled a hill had ants coming
>> out of it.
>
> Just stream it -- you'll know everything within 30
> seconds.
>
> Bill "made for FL trails; danger to self and others
> in CA" S.

:)

"Dan Volker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:t%[email protected]...
> This trail is our Fort Pierce trail. It is not quite as
> technical as Quiet Waters, but is considerably more fun,
> and still plenty technical. I have
no
> doubt that this particular trail is good for single
> speeders, as it has no long straights. I am probably just
> begging for more abuse, in putting
this
> up, but here goes:
>
> Streaming DSL version http://www.gbtg.net/trail/fort-pierce-
> dsl.asx Online now and ready to watch..should have about
> an 8 second buffer prior
> play. You DO need the free Windows Media Player version 9
> to play any of these...
> http://www.windowsmedia.com/download if you don't have it.
>
> Downloadable 500kps version http://www.gbtg.net/trail/fort-
> pierce1.wmv if you right click and hit "save target as".
> Should be finished uploading
> server by 10:30am EST
>

> Downloadable 100kps version for 56k modem users to
> download http://www.gbtg.net/trail/fort-pierce-slow-dl.wmv
> should be finished uploading to server by 10am EST.
>

> This is my first try at helmet cam videos, so have a
> little slack ready
for
> at least this ;-)
>
> If the video plays dark, you can hit VIEW, Enhancements,
> and then VIDEO SETTINGS on the media player, and you can
> pull the brightness up where you want it.
>
> Also, if you watch either the DSL stream or the 500 kps
> download, you can play them at full screen. The 100kps
> version you can probably zoom to double, but I have not
> looked at it yet. The whole video is 28 minutes long--its
> most of one lap, going pretty
fast.
> I had to pull the sound track way down for the ambient
> noise, or all you would have heard was my locomotive
> volume breathing :)
>
> Dan V

from what I saw, and quite honestly I didn't have the
patience or desire to see 28 minutes of video when 1 or 2
showed me the trail, an average SS will be able to ride that
place very, very fast.

a word of advice regarding videos for the masses, just 'cuz
you have 2 hours worth of tape doesn't mean you should use
it all in the video. showing the entire ride for yourself or
your friends is one thing but when posting online people
generally only want to get a taste for the trail and that
can be accomplished in 4-7 minutes. any more than that and
it's just like watching the same thing over and over and
over again.

Michael

> or all you would have heard was my locomotive volume breathing :)

Looks like familiar stuff... Looks like we're missing out on
what's out West, Dan :(

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Dan Volker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<t%[email protected]>...
> This trail is our Fort Pierce trail. It is not quite as
> technical as Quiet Waters, but is considerably more fun,
> and still plenty technical. I have no doubt that this
> particular trail is good for single speeders, as it has no
> long straights. I am probably just begging for more abuse,
> in putting this up, but here goes:

[snip]

As others have said - ~5 minutes gives plenty of flavor. For
a first-timer, I'd say that was a darned nice effort.

Since you really don't have the first clue about SSing, you
should drop the "reasoning" as to why this is a good SS
trail. Mostly, because there are no real tough uphill
grinds, and the trail is relatively smooth, I'd say a
talented, rigid-SS rider could run that thing about full
speed all the time. If this is what you call "plenty
technical", the trails we go on around here would absolutely
blow you away, AND a Loon Lake Death March-style ride would
probably kill you - well, the middle ten miles. The first
part and the last part were not terribly technical, IMO.
Anyway, the trail you just showed in that video is what I
would take rank beginners on around here. Nice and flat,
some decent turns, nothing really scary. A nice, easy ride
in the woods. I also have to assume the slow pace was due to
you not wanting to wreck and kill the camera. Or your pal
was being slow?

To be completely objective, I've seen more technical stuff
in a hundred yards-worth of trail in Pete F. videos than in
the whole of yours. Heck, even some of that really fast Maui
stuff looked tougher than the trail you've shown. Watch
Eagle's Wing, Flight of Icarus or Joe's Ridge for reference.
For the life of me, I can't see anything in your video that
requires any suspension to go just about as damn fast as you
want to pedal, let alone a hucking bike like a Liquid.

Head out to Quiet Waters and shoot the whole thing, then
edit out all but the toughest parts. I'd really love to
see that...

Don't consider this "abuse," but a "reality check." I know
of some sea-level trail in W. WA that you might want to try,
just to get an idea of what I might call "technical." Maybe
you could just chalk it up to "testosterone poisoning." Just
some friendly advice - seriously.
--
Jonesy "my two-year-old on training wheels could ride
Fort Pierce"

"Jonesy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Dan Volker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<t%[email protected]>...
> > This trail is our Fort Pierce trail. It is not quite as
<snip>
> Joe's Ridge for reference.

That's a great video. If it is the one I'm thinking of with
Smash Mouth as the soundtrack it is the best mountain bike
video for feeling like you're right there.

The other one that would be funny to watch with DV would be
Shaun Bell's YeAV2 video. If quiet waters is technical, what
the hell is that place?

> TM says:
>
> >The other one that would be funny to watch with DV would
> >be Shaun Bell's YeAV2 video.
>
> Now that is a fun little (?) vid. Just watched it again to
> refresh the memory..

Yeah, I just watched them both again myself. They get my
vote for the amb oscar because I can watch them again and
enjoy it!!

> TM says:
>
> >The other one that would be funny to watch with DV would
> >be Shaun Bell's YeAV2 video.
>
> Now that is a fun little (?) vid. Just watched it again to
> refresh the memory..

Hell, Norcal Xtreme features more tech than that slice
of Florida.

"p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> "Stephen Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:20040422181812.10326.00000106@mb-
> m03.aol.com...
> > TM says:
> >
> > >The other one that would be funny to watch with DV
> > >would be Shaun
Bell's
> > >YeAV2 video.
> >
> > Now that is a fun little (?) vid. Just watched it again
> > to refresh the memory..
>
> Hell, Norcal Xtreme features more tech than that slice of
> Florida.

I didn't know what you were talking about and then I found
it and watched
it. At first, I thought you were being sarcastic, but I'll
be damned, you're 100% correct.