South France (non-cycling post)

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by tcklyde, Jul 16, 2005.

1. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

One of my favorite parts of the Tour over the last couple of days has been enjoying the views of the South of France. The Pont du Gard, the forests, the mountains. And remembering the amazing food. I was there once, when I was very young, and I still remember it fondly.

I'd put all of southern France in my top three places, behind Galway, Ireland and, of course, my current home of Portland, Oregon, USA.

But then, I have a lt more to see...

Tags:

2. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Southern France is beautiful as you say : I have been fortunate to visit that region several times and cycled the Alps and Pyrennees.
    The French Pyrennees (and Spanish Pyrennees) are great : the people are very warm and friendly.
    The roads are excellent for cycling but some of the climbs are very tough going.

But I agree with you, Tcklyde : if people get the chance to go there, they ought to.

3. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Yes, Southern France is gorgeous, almost as much as most of Italy. :D

But French food is crap. Come to Italy, where we have been carbo-loading for millenia!

Joking aside, consider a trip to the Dolomites, where you will have beautiful rides, the same (if not more) cycling history, much rougher climbs (Tre Cime di Lavaredo!) and the food beats the rest of Europe hands down. And there is enough to keep the non-cycling family units happy too.

And I have not even begun with my Italian bias! :rolleyes:

4. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I mean to get to the Dolomites soon.

I am travelling to Rome in September though !
    (can't wait for it either !)

5. MJtje

MJtje New Member

Whole france is nice..........it's for that reason it's the most popular vacation place in Europe! Each year millions go to France, because it has everything...........they all go to campings.......some for the nice views, other good food etc.