Southbank Crits yesterday...

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Tamyka Bell, Dec 3, 2006.

  1. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    That was a fun afternoon, not as busy as last year! I have
    to say I was a bit disappointed that the races only went to
    C grade and there was a Women's Elite race but not all that
    surprising (insert random complaint about USM). Some blood
    and gore... some crazy efforts of the front and Robbie
    looking VERY nervous and doing efforts to get the the bunch
    chasing down the breakaway. Exciting stuff - and it's very
    hard to focus on them as they fly past.

    Tam

    Tags:

  2. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Got any pix? Oh bugger it I'll just go visit CN..

  3. adam85

    adam85 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    Yeah it was a great day and that was a super race. I didn't think Robbie was going to get up, but a big effort got him back up there, I thought that was the winning break with Phillips, Brown, Davis etc. Jaaron Poad got on the front and just hammered it, it went from 20 seconds to 3 seconds in a lap!

    The B grade race was fun and I managed to not crash this year, although I nearly got shunted into the gutter and came out dead last on the 2nd last lap. I got in a break for 4 or 5 laps with Craig Taylor who ended up 3rd, thought I had the prime but the bunch caught us just on the line. I didn't have much left after that. A teammate crashed on the last lap unfortunately and ruined our chances of a podium. Good fun though, we hit 50-53 nearly every lap! Michael Jackson got third, he was the guy wearing only one glove :) And 'respec' to Coco who rose to the challenge of a $50 bet to whoever raced with undies on the outside of their knicks. He donated it to the amy gillet foundation.

    Coco:
    http://www.roadgrime.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=3360#3360

    I'm the dopey goldfish in this pic:
    http://tinyurl.com/vx7oq

    Adam

  4. adam85

    adam85 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    Local racer Ben Manson has taken some great shots:
    http://www.benmanson.com/gallery/albums/southbankElite06/

    Adam

  5. Tripped

    Tripped New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2006
    Robbie was going to sign my saddle... Stupid pen didn't work and when i tryed it right afterwards, it worked! It was a shame he walked off right before. Someone must of hated me yesterday[​IMG]

  6. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    The Women's Elite race was a national title race, although searching the USM site, you wouldn't know it. There is no entry list and try to find when it was actually scheduled to run is like finding a snowball in Mt Isa. Most of the site ignores the fact that there was a women's race at all - if you didn't know about it, you wouldn't know from the site. Although, there are a few elite women's photos used to promote the event as a prestigous one. Talk about walk back into the dark ages, particularly for women's cycling .. but it IS Qld I guess (disclaimer - I grew up there).

    :mad:

  7. Donga

    Donga Guest

    warrwych wrote:
    > Tamyka Bell Wrote:
    > > That was a fun afternoon, not as busy as last year! I have
    > > to say I was a bit disappointed that the races only went to
    > > C grade and there was a Women's Elite race but not all that
    > > surprising (insert random complaint about USM). Some blood
    > > and gore... some crazy efforts of the front and Robbie
    > > looking VERY nervous and doing efforts to get the the bunch
    > > chasing down the breakaway. Exciting stuff - and it's very
    > > hard to focus on them as they fly past.
    > >
    > > Tam

    > The Women's Elite race was a national title race, although searching
    > the USM site, you wouldn't know it. There is no entry list and try to
    > find when it was actually scheduled to run is like finding a snowball
    > in Mt Isa. Most of the site ignores the fact that there was a women's
    > race at all - if you didn't know about it, you wouldn't know from the
    > site. Although, there are a few elite women's photos used to promote
    > the event as a prestigous one. Talk about walk back into the dark ages,
    > particularly for women's cycling .. but it IS Qld I guess (disclaimer -
    > I grew up there).
    >
    > :mad:
    >

    > --
    > warrwych

    To balance that, the only mention of the events in the TV news on three
    channels last night was Lorien Graham, a Bne local. No coverage of the
    racing, no RM, no nothing, except a substantial good news story of
    Lorien getting back into racing. And that is great news. ... and we
    have got a QAS women's squad. I don't know if that all reads as
    tokenism, but there are growing numbers of women riders here.

    Donga

  8. adam85

    adam85 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    The fact is was a national title came fairly late in the game. But the entry list and timetable has always been there, and as soon as you enter online it is available.

    http://www.usmevents.com.au/general/acceptance.cfm

    Select entry...acceptance list. Every category is listed there, one of which is Open national Championships - Women.

    One thing did piss me off when I got there - no program! You get a bag full of powerbars and crap, but all I want is program so I can see match a rider's number with a name.

    Adam

  9. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    Thanks Adam. Done all that already. The acceptance list comes up in firefox as an unscrollable box A-B. And.. you have to enter online to get this information???. So those who didn't enter, the info is harder to find...

  10. adam85

    adam85 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    Ah ok they expect you to use IE I guess, that's pretty crappy. No you don't have to enter to see the list, I was just saying it's live, so as soon as you enter your name appears on the list.

    Here's the list of women if you can't see it:
    Bates Katey
    Corset Ruth
    Cromwell Tiffany
    Diprose Belinda
    Egyed Nikki
    Evans Bridget
    Graham Lorian
    Harvey Sasha
    Heap Sharon
    Hibberd Carly
    Kerr Louise
    Le Lay Courtney
    Loane Josie
    Mackie Emma
    Magner Nicole
    Mcdonald Vanessa
    Mercer Kate
    Palmer Patricia
    Papajcsik Angeline
    Rhodes Alex
    Ryan Carla
    Schramm Amy
    Sullivan Candice
    White Linda
    Young Liz

  11. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    adam85 wrote:

    > warrwych Wrote:
    > > The Women's Elite race was a national title race, although searching the
    > > USM site, you wouldn't know it. There is no entry list and try to find
    > > when it was actually scheduled to run is like finding a snowball in Mt
    > > Isa. Most of the site ignores the fact that there was a women's race at
    > > all - if you didn't know about it, you wouldn't know from the site.
    > > Although, there are a few elite women's photos used to promote the
    > > event as a prestigous one. Talk about walk back into the dark ages,
    > > particularly for women's cycling .. but it IS Qld I guess (disclaimer -
    > > I grew up there).
    > >
    > > :mad:

    > The fact is was a national title came fairly late in the game. But the
    > entry list and timetable has always been there, and as soon as you
    > enter online it is available.
    >
    > http://www.usmevents.com.au/general/acceptance.cfm
    >
    > Select entry...acceptance list. Every category is listed there, one of
    > which is Open national Championships - Women.
    >
    > One thing did piss me off when I got there - no program! You get a bag
    > full of powerbars and crap, but all I want is program so I can see
    > match a rider's number with a name.

    They had them, but you had to suck up to the guys at the ped
    crossings to get one.

    Tam

  12. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "adam85" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Tamyka Bell Wrote:
    >> That was a fun afternoon, not as busy as last year! I have
    >> to say I was a bit disappointed that the races only went to
    >> C grade and there was a Women's Elite race but not all that
    >> surprising (insert random complaint about USM). Some blood
    >> and gore... some crazy efforts of the front and Robbie
    >> looking VERY nervous and doing efforts to get the the bunch
    >> chasing down the breakaway. Exciting stuff - and it's very
    >> hard to focus on them as they fly past.
    >>
    >> Tam

    > Yeah it was a great day and that was a super race. I didn't think
    > Robbie was going to get up, but a big effort got him back up there, I
    > thought that was the winning break with Phillips, Brown, Davis etc.
    > Jaaron Poad got on the front and just hammered it, it went from 20
    > seconds to 3 seconds in a lap!
    >
    > The B grade race was fun and I managed to not crash this year, although
    > I nearly got shunted into the gutter and came out dead last on the 2nd
    > last lap. I got in a break for 4 or 5 laps with Craig Taylor who ended
    > up 3rd, thought I had the prime but the bunch caught us just on the
    > line. I didn't have much left after that. A teammate crashed on the
    > last lap unfortunately and ruined our chances of a podium. Good fun
    > though, we hit 50-53 nearly every lap! Michael Jackson got third, he
    > was the guy wearing only one glove :) And 'respec' to Coco who rose to
    > the challenge of a $50 bet to whoever raced with undies on the outside
    > of their knicks. He donated it to the amy gillet foundation.
    >
    > Coco:
    > http://www.roadgrime.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=3360#3360
    >
    > I'm the dopey goldfish in this pic:
    > http://tinyurl.com/vx7oq
    >
    > Adam
    >

    > --
    > adam85

    Huzzah for cycling superheroes, er... "underwear perverts".

  13. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    Thanks Adam
    :)

  14. Gemma_k

    Gemma_k Guest

    "adam85" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > warrwych Wrote:
    >> Thanks Adam. Done all that already. The acceptance list comes up in
    >> firefox as an unscrollable box A-B. And.. you have to enter online to
    >> get this information???. So those who didn't enter, the info is harder
    >> to find...

    > Ah ok they expect you to use IE I guess, that's pretty crappy. No you
    > don't have to enter to see the list, I was just saying it's live, so as
    > soon as you enter your name appears on the list.
    >
    > Here's the list of women if you can't see it:
    > Bates Katey
    > Corset Ruth
    > Cromwell Tiffany
    > Diprose Belinda
    > Egyed Nikki
    > Evans Bridget
    > Graham Lorian
    > Harvey Sasha
    > Heap Sharon
    > Hibberd Carly
    > Kerr Louise
    > Le Lay Courtney
    > Loane Josie
    > Mackie Emma
    > Magner Nicole
    > Mcdonald Vanessa
    > Mercer Kate
    > Palmer Patricia
    > Papajcsik Angeline
    > Rhodes Alex
    > Ryan Carla
    > Schramm Amy
    > Sullivan Candice
    > White Linda
    > Young Liz

    I hope all the ladeez out there are coming to Adelaide during the TDU - to
    race the UniSA Womens Crit Series? $10K prize money or so.... 3 race series
    for $30 entry fee.....
    The first race will only have a crowd of 50,000+ ;-)

    Gemm