Southbeach

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Whatever, Mar 1, 2006.

  1. Whatever

    Whatever Guest

    Does anyone do southbeach instead of atkins and what is really the
    difference? Have you had any luck with it if so.

    Tags:

  2. Bill Eitner

    Bill Eitner Guest

    Whatever wrote:
    > Does anyone do southbeach instead of atkins and what is really the
    > difference? Have you had any luck with it if so.

    I don't do Southbeach but I've read the book.

    It's more of a Zone or 40-30-30 (%carbs-%protein-%fat
    aka isocaloric) diet after the first two weeks.
    Atkins is a true low carb diet. With a true low
    carb diet the carb percentage is a lot less than 40--
    more like 5 to 10 percent, and the fat percentage is
    higher than 30--more like 65 to 70 percent.

    Southbeach will work if you can tolerate (still lose
    weight with) a higher carb percentage, and don't fail
    to comply (stay on the diet) consistently because you
    are hungry and craving things due to the restricted
    saturated fat that it recommends.
    --

  3. jbuch

    jbuch Guest

    Whatever wrote:
    > Does anyone do southbeach instead of atkins and what is really the
    > difference? Have you had any luck with it if so.

    Most diets are hard to produce lasting weight loss with. Many diets
    produce short term weight loss. There are claims that as much as 95% of
    those who lose weight gain it all back, and often more.

    Most people who lose weight pretend they have "cured the illness" and
    can go back to eating "normally"... and they therefore end up where they
    normally were - fat.

    Several years ago, Consumer Reports ran a questionaire survey of their
    readers who had lost weight and kept it off. They had many thousand replies.

    Most of the successful weight losers made up their own diets.... they
    claimed they didn't use any of the popular diets.

    Eating was controlled and exercise was generally incorporated in the
    program.

    Some people "have luck" with at least one type of diet.

    I don't "do Southbeach" myself.

    You might find more Southbeach users at specialized groups. Compared to
    "Low Carb of 20 to 120 grams per day (80 to 480 Calories)", the
    Southbeach is a "Medium Carb" plan.

    Compared to the old "Food Pyramid" of maybe 60% carbohydrates,
    Southbeach is considered by some to be "low carb", but the old fashioned
    "low carb" people don't consider Southbeach to be low carb.

    Eventually we end up ruining any real meaning for the term "low
    carbohydrate", and we all end up losing clarity by the confusion.

    --
    1) Eat Till SATISFIED, Not STUFFED... Atkins repeated 9 times in the book
    2) Exercise: It's Non-Negotiable..... Chapter 22 title, Atkins book

  4. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    "Whatever" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Does anyone do southbeach instead of atkins and what is really the
    > difference? Have you had any luck with it if so.

    I have been on a "modified" version of South Beach since July 2004. That
    is, I stick strictly to the "foods to enjoy" list. In addition, I have
    completely eliminated all flour, rice, pasta, sugar, and potatoes. That
    addition is because I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes in June, just a few
    weeks before starting the diet, and it is not required by SB. It has worked
    very well for me. I lost about 60 pounds and have kept it off. I also was
    able to control my BG and have not needed any medication since March 2005,
    and my cholesterol and triglycerides came down dramatically. I did
    "stagnate" in my weight loss after 60 pounds, so I am going to go back to
    the first 2 weeks again to try to "jump start" it. I would like to lose 30
    more pounds. Even without that, I feel better and more energetic than I had
    in years.

    I am not familiar enough with Atkins to comment in any detail (but I plan to
    start reading the book this week because I am interested in it). I do think
    SB is easier and that alone is a "plus" for me since it also works well for
    me. However, South Beach is not a true low-carb diet and does not pretend
    to be -- they refer to it as "good carbs" not "low carb." The first 2 weeks
    (which I think may be similar to Atkins induction) really worked for me
    because it eliminated my craving for carbs and especially for sweets. I
    really do not feel deprived and have not eaten *any* cakes, candy, etc.
    since starting on this program. One difference between SB and Atkins that I
    am familiar with is that SB emphasizes low saturated fats. So, for example,
    I look for low-fat cheese but cheese that still has good flavor (such as
    Jarlsberg Lite). On the other hand, low fat often means higher carbs, so I
    try to balance the two. Unlike sugar, potatoes, etc. -- which I have
    completely eliminated -- I do have moderate amounts of saturated fats and do
    not worry about it. For example, I had bacon and eggs for dinner tonight
    (not turkey "bacon," which I think is best forgotten).

    MaryL

  5. DB

    DB Guest

    "MaryL" <[email protected]> wrote in

    > completely eliminated -- I do have moderate amounts of saturated fats and
    > do not worry about it. For example, I had bacon and eggs for dinner
    > tonight (not turkey "bacon," which I think is best forgotten).

    I had a steak with my eggs! :)

    --
    LC again since 1/14/06
    277/254/220

  6. Hannah Gruen

    Hannah Gruen Guest

    "MaryL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I lost about 60 pounds and have kept it off. I also was able to control
    > my BG and have not needed any medication since March 2005, and my
    > cholesterol and triglycerides came down dramatically.

    > I am not familiar enough with Atkins to comment in any detail (but I plan
    > to start reading the book this week because I am interested in it). I do
    > think SB is easier and that alone is a "plus" for me since it also works
    > well for me. However, South Beach is not a true low-carb diet and does
    > not pretend to be -- they refer to it as "good carbs" not "low carb."

    MaryL, congratulations on the weight loss and blood sugar improvement!

    I think it will be a good idea for you to read Atkins. Also Eades (Protein
    Power), Bernstein, and as many of the low-carb authors you have time for.
    I've been gradually working my way through them, as time permits, and find I
    get some new ideas and information from each one.

    One think you may want, as a diabetic, is to have a bit more control than
    just qualitative change in diet, as per SB, provides. Actually, a lot of
    people doing their own version of Atkins, or other lc plans, do much what
    you do. We just have certain foods we eat, and those we don't. However,
    being able to compute your total carbohydrate intake for the day can help
    you to make your carbohydrate intake more uniform, which can help in bg
    control if that ever becomes a problem in the future.

    Also, it can provide you with more variety. Say you want to have some pasta
    for a special occasion. You can calculate how much will work within a carb
    count that is proven for controlling bg. (Although with diabetes, it's
    probably better to use a per-meal limit, rather than just a per-day. Some
    might argue this.) When you're working only with a qualitative food list,
    you're not going to have pasta at all. You still might not, if that food
    spikes bg. But some diabetics can get away with small amounts of the
    higher-carb/GI foods so long as they keep the overall carb of the meal low
    and include in some fat, so that absorption of the higher-GI carbs is
    slowed.

    Basically, there is power in knowledge. When you just eat from your food
    list, you really don't know how much of anything you're taking in. If that
    works, great, because it's far less work. But if you find bg control
    slipping, or weight not coming off, then sometimes monitoring carbs, and
    even calories, can help. I've certainly seen quite a few people on this ng
    use one or another of those factors, sometimes both, to good effect over the
    years.

    HG

  7. mary,
    i HIGHLY recommend that you read:
    DR. BERNSTEINS DIABETES SOLUTION

    --

    Do we need to impeach Bush to bring some focus to this man's life?
    The man was lost and then he was found and now he's more lost than ever,

    "MaryL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Whatever" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Does anyone do southbeach instead of atkins and what is really the
    >> difference? Have you had any luck with it if so.
    >>

    > I have been on a "modified" version of South Beach since July 2004. That
    > is, I stick strictly to the "foods to enjoy" list. In addition, I have
    > completely eliminated all flour, rice, pasta, sugar, and potatoes. That
    > addition is because I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes in June, just a few
    > weeks before starting the diet, and it is not required by SB. It has
    > worked very well for me. I lost about 60 pounds and have kept it off. I
    > also was able to control my BG and have not needed any medication since
    > March 2005, and my cholesterol and triglycerides came down dramatically.
    > I did "stagnate" in my weight loss after 60 pounds, so I am going to go
    > back to the first 2 weeks again to try to "jump start" it. I would like
    > to lose 30 more pounds. Even without that, I feel better and more
    > energetic than I had in years.
    >
    > I am not familiar enough with Atkins to comment in any detail (but I plan
    > to start reading the book this week because I am interested in it). I do
    > think SB is easier and that alone is a "plus" for me since it also works
    > well for me. However, South Beach is not a true low-carb diet and does
    > not pretend to be -- they refer to it as "good carbs" not "low carb." The
    > first 2 weeks (which I think may be similar to Atkins induction) really
    > worked for me because it eliminated my craving for carbs and especially
    > for sweets. I really do not feel deprived and have not eaten *any* cakes,
    > candy, etc. since starting on this program. One difference between SB and
    > Atkins that I am familiar with is that SB emphasizes low saturated fats.
    > So, for example, I look for low-fat cheese but cheese that still has good
    > flavor (such as Jarlsberg Lite). On the other hand, low fat often means
    > higher carbs, so I try to balance the two. Unlike sugar, potatoes,
    > etc. -- which I have completely eliminated -- I do have moderate amounts
    > of saturated fats and do not worry about it. For example, I had bacon and
    > eggs for dinner tonight (not turkey "bacon," which I think is best
    > forgotten).
    >
    > MaryL

  8. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    "Hannah Gruen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "MaryL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >> I lost about 60 pounds and have kept it off. I also was able to control
    >> my BG and have not needed any medication since March 2005, and my
    >> cholesterol and triglycerides came down dramatically.

    >> I am not familiar enough with Atkins to comment in any detail (but I plan
    >> to start reading the book this week because I am interested in it). I do
    >> think SB is easier and that alone is a "plus" for me since it also works
    >> well for me. However, South Beach is not a true low-carb diet and does
    >> not pretend to be -- they refer to it as "good carbs" not "low carb."

    > MaryL, congratulations on the weight loss and blood sugar improvement!
    >
    > I think it will be a good idea for you to read Atkins. Also Eades (Protein
    > Power), Bernstein, and as many of the low-carb authors you have time for.
    > I've been gradually working my way through them, as time permits, and find
    > I get some new ideas and information from each one.
    >
    > One think you may want, as a diabetic, is to have a bit more control than
    > just qualitative change in diet, as per SB, provides. Actually, a lot of
    > people doing their own version of Atkins, or other lc plans, do much what
    > you do. We just have certain foods we eat, and those we don't. However,
    > being able to compute your total carbohydrate intake for the day can help
    > you to make your carbohydrate intake more uniform, which can help in bg
    > control if that ever becomes a problem in the future.
    >
    > Also, it can provide you with more variety. Say you want to have some
    > pasta for a special occasion. You can calculate how much will work within
    > a carb count that is proven for controlling bg. (Although with diabetes,
    > it's probably better to use a per-meal limit, rather than just a per-day.
    > Some might argue this.) When you're working only with a qualitative food
    > list, you're not going to have pasta at all. You still might not, if that
    > food spikes bg. But some diabetics can get away with small amounts of the
    > higher-carb/GI foods so long as they keep the overall carb of the meal low
    > and include in some fat, so that absorption of the higher-GI carbs is
    > slowed.
    >
    > Basically, there is power in knowledge. When you just eat from your food
    > list, you really don't know how much of anything you're taking in. If that
    > works, great, because it's far less work. But if you find bg control
    > slipping, or weight not coming off, then sometimes monitoring carbs, and
    > even calories, can help. I've certainly seen quite a few people on this ng
    > use one or another of those factors, sometimes both, to good effect over
    > the years.
    >
    > HG

    Thank you for taking the time to post a *very* informative message. I
    haven't even snipped anything from your post because I think it is so good.
    You have given me some positive pointers -- things that I really had not
    considered but now I will. For example, it makes a lot of sense to think
    about being able to compute total carbohydrate intake for the day as a way
    of making carbohydrate intake more uniform. I must admit that one of the
    things I have liked about what I am doing now is that it is easy. In other
    words, I have been taking the lazy way, but I am also concerned about
    slipping back into higher BG in the future. You have give me a lot to think
    about!

    MaryL

  9. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    "readandpostrosie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > mary,
    > i HIGHLY recommend that you read:
    > DR. BERNSTEINS DIABETES SOLUTION
    >
    > --

    Thanks. I have a number of books on my bookshelf that I still haven't read
    but want to work my way through. Dr. Bernstein's is one of them.

    MaryL