Southeast suggestions?

Joel Rose

Guest
Hello,

March break is next week here in S.Ontario, CAN and I was wondering if anyone can suggest a sunny
destination in the U.S. SE so I can get out of this damn snow covered land and go some place where
I can ride on actual roads versus riding on a mag trainer? I would like to be able drive down for
this trip so any farther than SC would probably be too far. Are there good spots to go riding in
the Virginia Beach or the Myrtle Beach area? And what is the weather like in these places at this
time of year??

I know these are lots of questions but I am really in need of a break from all this winter stuff!
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:))

Joel

It is raining here in Mount Pleasant, SC (suburb of Charleston and 110 miles south of Myrtle
Beach). 58F

Saturday I take off for a bike trip to New Smyrna Beach, Fl not least looking for dry
warmth and sun.

"Joel Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> March break is next week here in S.Ontario, CAN and I was wondering if anyone can suggest a sunny
> destination in the U.S. SE so I can get out of this damn snow covered land and go some place where
> I can ride on actual roads versus riding on a mag trainer? I would like to be able drive down
for
> this trip so any farther than SC would probably be too far. Are there good spots to go riding in
> the Virginia Beach or the Myrtle Beach area? And
what
> is the weather like in these places at this time of year??
>
> I know these are lots of questions but I am really in need of a break from all this winter stuff!
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:))
>
> Joel

Unfortunately, places that are usually warming up pretty well here in the states have had an
unusually cold winter. Virginia is a nice place to ride, as are any of the states south of it - but
be sure to check the weather forecast before you make the trip!

--
Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides "Joel Rose" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> March break is next week here in S.Ontario, CAN and I was wondering if anyone can suggest a sunny
> destination in the U.S. SE so I can get out of this damn snow covered land and go some place where
> I can ride on actual roads versus riding on a mag trainer? I would like to be able drive down
for
> this trip so any farther than SC would probably be too far. Are there good spots to go riding in
> the Virginia Beach or the Myrtle Beach area? And
what
> is the weather like in these places at this time of year??
>
> I know these are lots of questions but I am really in need of a break from all this winter stuff!
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:))
>
> Joel

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely check the weather as this year has been tough on everyone!

SE or bust,

Joel "NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Unfortunately, places that are usually warming up pretty well here in the states have had an
> unusually cold winter. Virginia is a nice place to
ride,
> as are any of the states south of it - but be sure to check the weather forecast before you make
> the trip!
>
> --
> Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides "Joel Rose" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Hello,
> >
> > March break is next week here in S.Ontario, CAN and I was wondering if anyone can suggest a
> > sunny destination in the U.S. SE so I can get out
of
> > this damn snow covered land and go some place where I can ride on actual roads versus riding on
> > a mag trainer? I would like to be able drive down
> for
> > this trip so any farther than SC would probably be too far. Are there
good
> > spots to go riding in the Virginia Beach or the Myrtle Beach area? And
> what
> > is the weather like in these places at this time of year??
> >
> > I know these are lots of questions but I am really in need of a break
from
> > all this winter stuff! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:))
> >
> > Joel

If you want to ride where its warm - no if's, and's or but's, then Florida is the place. The month
of March can still generate some weather surprises as far south as the Carolinas.

I have the maps for a 1 week loop tour starting in Ft Lauderdale to Key West via Miami. From Key
West one can take a ferry to Ft Myers and ride country roads across south Florida back to Ft
Lauderdale for a total length of about 350 miles. I have done it 4 times and always take about a
week, depending on how long I stay in Key West. Except for LaBelle Florida, there are campgrounds
and/or bed and breakfasts along the entire route.

If you have DeLorme's Street Atlas software, I can send you the maps. Otherwise there is little
possibility of getting them to you prior to your departure.

FYI If coming from southern Ontario (Kingston, Ottawa) I recommend the following route:

Take I-81 from Alexandria Bay south to I- 77 in Virginia. Take I-77 south to I-26 in Columbia SC.
Take eastbound I-26 to I- 95 and then I-95 southbound to FL. You must avoid I-87 thru NY and I-95
between NY and Virginia. Horrible traffic and expensive tolls.

If coming thru Windsor then its I-75 all the way to Florida. Regards from the Velo Nut

Dale V Lally Jr W0OWF Pompano Beach FL [email protected]

I'd be interesting in seeing this route also. There is a ferry between Key West and Ft Myers? Please
post details. janaka