Southeastern Racing

xxspokesxx

Jan 26, 2004
Hey I am a student in Savannah Georgia training hard wanting to start racing. Cat 5. I am going to have a tuneup Crit in two weeks down in Florida to get an idea what its like before the upcomming season but prefferably I would like to race in some Road Races.

Is there a directory for Road Races in the southeast? I can onlyl find Crits and honestly I am not a good sprinter I have my strengths in climbing and endurance so I do know how well I am suited for short fast crit racing.

Also how can I go about joining a team or basically getting to race with others under the same jersey? ANy hinters or pointers would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

There will be a race calendar released soon for the southeast region. I'm anxiously awaiting it as well.

www.sandhillscyclingclub.org

I think the above club site is going to post the complete calendar as soon as it is released...so keep checking there. Feel free to use their bulletin board there to pose questions. I'm near Myrtle Beach, SC..so I'll be out there when the racing starts too. Perhaps I'll see you out on the circuit. The Sandhills Cycling club will sponsor a big road race near the end of april..called the Tour de Moore. It's a big race...and racers come from many states to contest it. The terrain is great..and the town(Souther Pines, NC) is a great place for cycling. Usually this race is on the same day as the Athen's Twilight crit. Not sure about this year.

Cheers!

Originally posted by oneradtec
There will be a race calendar released soon for the southeast region. I'm anxiously awaiting it as well.

www.sandhillscyclingclub.org

I think the above club site is going to post the complete calendar as soon as it is released...so keep checking there. Feel free to use their bulletin board there to pose questions. I'm near Myrtle Beach, SC..so I'll be out there when the racing starts too. Perhaps I'll see you out on the circuit. The Sandhills Cycling club will sponsor a big road race near the end of april..called the Tour de Moore. It's a big race...and racers come from many states to contest it. The terrain is great..and the town(Souther Pines, NC) is a great place for cycling. Usually this race is on the same day as the Athen's Twilight crit. Not sure about this year.

Cheers!

THANKS ALOT!!! Look for the black Cannondale R600 and the tall lanky cyclist on it (kinda generic profile!)

Originally posted by xxspokesxx
Hey I am a student in Savannah Georgia training hard wanting to start racing. Cat 5. I am going to have a tuneup Crit in two weeks down in Florida to get an idea what its like before the upcomming season but prefferably I would like to race in some Road Races.

Is there a directory for Road Races in the southeast? I can onlyl find Crits and honestly I am not a good sprinter I have my strengths in climbing and endurance so I do know how well I am suited for short fast crit racing.

Also how can I go about joining a team or basically getting to race with others under the same jersey? ANy hinters or pointers would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Try the following that seem to be well maintained:
http://spokepost.com/series/southeast

and

http://www.truesport.com/Bike/2004/calendars/southeast.html

Good luck and keep the rubber side down.:cool:

There are a couple of races coming up in Georgia that I know of. March 7th and 14th here (actually in Alabama) Spring Into Training Race Series

Sunday March 7th and 14th
Visit www.gccycling.org for info and updates

Then there is the series that our club/team puts on March 20 and 21-Brooks road race, 20th--Time trial and Road race, 21st-Crit. This one is in Brooks Georgia, about 40 miles southewest of Atlanta. Other series that we put on are the Union City race in June ( i dont have particulars as of this moment) and a new race in Marietta/Kennesaw-details to follow.

For more info: http://www.bicyclesunl.com/

Also there are some training series races in Grennvilee SC starting Feb 21, I'll try to find some more info on these. I know there hosted by the Greenvile Spinners.

Hope to see you out at one of these and good luck.

I'm a starting cat5 in the southeast as well. So what's the procedure for entering these races? Do you just show up with your license and some cash on the day of the race, do you have to contact someone prior, etc??

usually you can show up with license and cash. If its a big race...perhaps its best to arrive early and get registered. Races rarely reach maximum entrants..but occasionally this might happen...which means that someone will go home without starting. I've never had this happen to me though...as I like to arrive early. I would say that most racers register same day as race.

all you southeast guys need to come down to gainesville valentines day weekend.... im on team florida, and we are hosting a race this weekend... i know im posting kinda late, but you guys can still make it, heres the link to visit our site and read the info.

http://grove.ufl.edu/~cycling/races/tfrw04.html

we need ALL who can make it email me at [email protected] if you have questions. hope to see yall there. if you do show up, ill be the florida guy in the cat 5/ c races with teh silver giant tcr.
john