Southern Nova Scotia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lynn Monsanto

Hi all,

My wife and I are considering taking an REI bicycle trip to Nova Scotia this July. Has anyone done
one of this and what is your opinion (assuming you want someone to do all the planning and
logistics for you)?

http://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/namer/nscotia.html

(Please respond to either this list or monsanto at sun dot com)

Thanks, Lynn Monsanto San Francisco, CA

Not been to Southern Nova Scotia but have been to Cape Breton island. Very enjoyable but really much
ado about nothing from scenery point of view. And that's the ballyhooed bit of Nova Scotia.

X-No-Archive: Yes Lynn Monsanto wrote:

> My wife and I are considering taking an REI bicycle trip to Nova Scotia this July. Has anyone done
> one of this and what is your opinion (assuming you want someone to do all the planning and
> logistics for you)?
>
> http://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/namer/nscotia.html
>
> (Please respond to either this list or monsanto at sun dot com)

Did that more'n 20yrs ago, no plan except for a map, biked from Digby to Sandy Cove on the Fundy
side, then stretches along and over to Peggys Cove and Halifax. Had a companion for sag which made
everything easy. Very pleasant biking out of Yarmouth or Digby.

--
There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want. --Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes

Lynn Monsanto wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My wife and I are considering taking an REI bicycle trip to Nova Scotia this July. Has anyone done
> one of this and what is your opinion (assuming you want someone to do all the planning and
> logistics for you)?
>
>

It sounds like a nice itinery, but not a whole lot of cycling.

I really have to wonder about REI's research people. They mention the town of "Hubbard" three times
or so - it's actually "Hubbards" with an "s". Also, calling Lunenberg "home to the famous Bluenose
Schooner" is a bit odd - she was built there, but is rarely there, spending more time in Halifax
than anywhere IIRC.

I don't mind disagreeing with that! I found Cape Breton to be absolutely spectacular. I thought it
to rival parts of California coast in grandeur. Very challenging terrain, coupla switchback climbs
and the views just got progressively better with every turn of the road.

To address the OP; One area of the southern region that was very pretty was up by Peggy's Cove and
south along the east coast. Peggy's cove, although beautiful, is kind of touristy though. The
majority of the southern half near the coasts is nice rolling hills, farms and small towns. Can't
say enough good things about the people of NS, truly wonderful and friendly, love cyclists.

L8tr PB

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Not been to Southern Nova Scotia but have been to Cape Breton island. Very enjoyable but really
> much ado about nothing from scenery point of
view.
> And that's the ballyhooed bit of Nova Scotia.

"pixelbrainz" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I don't mind disagreeing with that! I found Cape Breton to be absolutely spectacular. I thought it
> to rival parts of California coast in grandeur. Very challenging terrain, coupla switchback climbs
> and the views just got progressively better with every turn of the road.
>
Wonderful scenery and hey isn't that North Mtn. a *****. I rode across Canada and hit it on the
second last day going clockwise around the Cape to finish in Louisburg. It was the toughest climb
on the whole trip, stood up for about 5k and it was the only time I had to go to my 39x26
(unloaded tour).

Yeah, beautiful, eh! I can't remember exactly but I think there are 4 of those climbs but the North
Mountain stood out as a particular meat grinder. I was riding fully packed and stood on my 1:1
granny gear all the way up. I do remember having to stop every 1/2 mi or so on the way down to let
my wheels cool off, my brakes were starting to melt. There were Winnebagos on the side of the road
with the brakes smoking, one guy was really literally burned up. And the flies chasing you up the
hills, aren't they special.

Was it ever grand though!

L8tr PB

Mike Latondresse <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >
> Wonderful scenery and hey isn't that North Mtn. a *****. I rode across Canada and hit it on the
> second last day going clockwise around the Cape to finish in Louisburg. It was the toughest climb
> on the whole trip, stood up for about 5k and it was the only time I had to go to my 39x26
> (unloaded tour).

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Lynn Monsanto wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> logistics for you)?
>

I haven't seen the REI tours. It seems like short easy days of cycling and high-end accommodation
- OK if that's the thing you like.

The route they list is good, some parts are my favorite rides in NS, I've probably done most of
this route 20 times in the last 30 years. Luckily, the tour avoids Peggy's Cove, the traffic
there is very heavy and there are much prettier coves along the Aspotogon Peninsula (1st day).

Traffic has become much heavier from Chester to Mahone Bay in the last few years.

Calling the beaches "the Canadian Caribbean" is a bit much- the beaches look nice but boy is that
water cold! Some of the sheltered beaches may get warm water a few days per summer - the beaches
near Hubbards for instance.

Anyway I have an old description of the route at:
"http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/nstour/sshore.html"

Maybe I'll update that one of these days!

--
David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada email: [email protected] WWW pages:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/

Lads, you should go to Europe. The scenery in the West of Ireland would eat that of Cape Breton,
Scotland is more spectacular and Corsica even better still. As for hills, they are nothing next to
what you will get in serious mountains, like the Alps, Pyrenees, or Rockies.

"Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Lads, you should go to Europe. The scenery in the West of Ireland would eat that of Cape Breton,
> Scotland is more spectacular and Corsica even better still. As for hills, they are nothing next to
> what you will get in serious mountains, like the Alps, Pyrenees, or Rockies.
>
>

Been there, Alps anyhow and this was worse than Ventoux through the forest for example. Taught
skiing at Glenshee by the way and the Devil's elbow was, at least, a winters hazard.

Just got back from Nova Scotia after spending two year there. In a town Called Chester, which is
right in the middle of the ride on Southern Coast. Hubbard's was 6 miles north and Lunenburg was
about 8 miles south. Go in the Summer or Fall, it's a good ride and very beautiful. Want to know
more, write me. I know the people who work for REI in that area. Also there are many other people
who put on tours there. Backroads is one and Butterfield and Robinson, etc. Most use fairly decent
accommodations... Dale "David Dermott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:pine.LNX.4.44.0303021859490.348-100000@ulv...
> On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Lynn Monsanto wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > My wife and I are considering taking an REI bicycle trip to Nova Scotia this July. Has anyone
> > done one of this and what is your opinion (assuming you want someone to do all the planning and
> > logistics for you)?
> >
> > http://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/namer/nscotia.html
>
> I haven't seen the REI tours. It seems like short easy days of cycling and high-end
> accommodation - OK if that's the thing you like.
>
> The route they list is good, some parts are my favorite rides in NS, I've probably done most of
> this route 20 times in the last 30 years. Luckily, the tour avoids Peggy's Cove, the traffic
> there is very heavy and there are much prettier coves along the Aspotogon Peninsula (1st day).
>
> Traffic has become much heavier from Chester to Mahone Bay in the last few years.
>
> Calling the beaches "the Canadian Caribbean" is a bit much- the beaches look nice but boy is
> that water cold! Some of the sheltered beaches may get warm water a few days per summer - the
> beaches near Hubbards for instance.
>
> Anyway I have an old description of the route at:
> "http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/nstour/sshore.html"
>
> Maybe I'll update that one of these days!
>
> --
> David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada email: [email protected] WWW pages:
> http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/

"...Also there are many other people who put on tours there. Backroads is
> one and Butterfield and Robinson, etc..."

We, CycleCanada (www.CycleCanada.com), do as well. Our average daily distance is longer (about 102
kms or 63 miles). C$610 or US $425. 5 riding days, 6 nights indoor accommodation. Vehicle support.
Travelling the Fundy and South Shores: www.cyclecanada.com/Scotia.htm

Other companies who operate tours in the area:

Atlantic Canada Cycling www.atlanticcanadacycling.com Freewheeling Adventures www.freewheeling.ca/
Canadian Trails www.Canadiantrails.com

For self guided tours, there are also a couple of books for self guided tours available through Nova
Scotia tourism and Atltantic Canada Cycling and www.randonneetours.com/ - self guided tours
www.VeloHospitality.com - bike friendly accommodation if you are planning your own.

Read Ernest Buckler's The Mountain and the Valley before (or after) you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.