spacer question for the experts

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Belij3, Feb 5, 2003.

  1. Belij3

    Belij3 Guest

    Campy 9 spd Brifters w/campy 9 spd rdr pulls 4.55 c-c Shimano 9 spd Brifters w/shimano 9spd rdr
    pulls 4.34 c-c What does a Campy 9psd Brifter with a Shimano 9spd rdr pull? B

    Tags:

  2. A shy person asked:

    > Campy 9 spd Brifters w/campy 9 spd rdr pulls 4.55 c-c Shimano 9 spd Brifters w/shimano 9spd rdr
    > pulls 4.34 c-c What does a Campy 9psd Brifter with a Shimano 9spd rdr pull?

    Quite a lot more, but I don't know the number. Current Campagnolo indexing pulls a good deal more
    cable for each click than Shimano, but not as much as SRAM ESP.

    I think Campagnolo 10 speed brifters work with Shimano 7-speed systems, but haven't tired it.

    Sheldon "Sorry, No Numbers" Brown +--------------------------------------------------+
    | Take sides! Always take sides! | You will sometimes be wrong--but the man who | refuses to take
    | sides must _always_ be wrong. | Heaven save us from poltroons who fear | to make a choice.
    | --Robert A. Heinlein |
    +--------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  3. "Belij3" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Campy 9 spd Brifters w/campy 9 spd rdr pulls 4.55 c-c Shimano 9 spd Brifters w/shimano 9spd rdr
    > pulls 4.34 c-c What does a Campy 9psd Brifter with a Shimano 9spd rdr pull?

    Slightly more than 5mm - if we're talking about derailleur throw rather than cable pull. I've been
    running Veloce 9spd Ergos in an otherwise XT 7spd system for the last couple of years. There's a
    very slight tendency to overshift, but in general it works well.

    James Thomson

  4. H. Van Beek

    H. Van Beek Guest

    What you mention is just the size of one spacer + one cog.

    Campy 9 cassette is 4.55 mm. Shimano 9 cassette is 4.34 mm. So in my opinion the brifter as you
    call them does no matter as long as you use Shimano brifters with Shimano rearderailleur and
    Campy brifter with Campy rearderailleur. Combine Shimano brifter with Campy rearderailleur is
    not possible.

    See www.branfordbike.com/cassette

    "Belij3" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht news:[email protected]...
    > Campy 9 spd Brifters w/campy 9 spd rdr pulls 4.55 c-c Shimano 9 spd Brifters w/shimano 9spd rdr
    > pulls 4.34 c-c What does a Campy 9psd Brifter with a Shimano 9spd rdr pull? B

  5. Belij3

    Belij3 Guest

    >Campy 9 cassette is 4.55 mm. Shimano 9 cassette is 4.34 mm. So in my opinion the brifter as you
    >call them does no matter as long as you use Shimano brifters with Shimano rearderailleur and Campy
    >brifter with Campy rearderailleur.

    Correct, but many people like the Campy brifters, and the Shimano mtb rdr. B

  6. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    Velosports makes an adapter that is specifically to use Ergo 9 or 10 shifters with a current XT or
    XTR rear derailleur to shift Shimano 9sp cassettes. It works aOK.

    I have an adapter and the XT derailleur for sale, slightly used should someone be interested.

    On 05 Feb 2003 20:43:23 GMT, [email protected] (Belij3) wrote:

    >Correct, but many people like the Campy brifters, and the Shimano mtb rdr.

  7. Dave Mayer

    Dave Mayer Guest

    >"Belij3" <[email protected]> wrote in message: What does a Campy 9psd Brifter with a Shimano 9spd
    >rdr pull? B

    Campy 9S pulls approximately 3mm of cable per shift. Measure it by shifting accross its range, and
    then dividing by 8 (as in 8 clicks).

    Shimano indexing rear derailleurs have a mechanical advantage of about 1.67
    : 1. Therefore, 3 x 1.67 = 5mm. So this setup should work with 7 speed
    spacers.

    A lot of things work if you know the fundamentals of their operation.

    This also works reasonably well: Campy 8-speed Ergo shifters indexing a Simplex derailleur over a
    modified 7-speed Dura-Ace freewheel. This setup makes the mechanics at my local race-oriented shop
    spin in their graves.

  8. lisated

    lisated Guest

    "Dave Mayer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > This also works reasonably well: Campy 8-speed Ergo shifters indexing a Simplex derailleur over a
    > modified 7-speed Dura-Ace freewheel. This setup makes the mechanics at my local race-oriented shop
    > spin in their graves.

    That shop must smell pretty bad, what with those dead mechanics in it.

    Ted Bennetthere.