Spacer removal from stem

Status

Joel Rose

Guest
Hello,

I have 2 spacers that sit between my headset and stem and was wondering if in order to remove 1 or
both, is it as simple as removing the stem cap and bolts and then removing the spacers?? I would
like to try and lower my handlebars and removing the spacers seems like the only way to accomplish
that. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Joel Rose

Michael Dart

Guest
"Joel Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I have 2 spacers that sit between my headset and stem and was wondering if in order to remove 1 or
> both, is it as simple as removing the stem cap and bolts and then removing the spacers?? I would
> like to try and lower my handlebars and removing the spacers seems like the only way to accomplish
> that. Thanks for any advice in advance.
>
> Joel Rose

Yes. You should place the spacers on top of the stem after you replace it and see if you like the
position before you trim the steerer. The top cap applies the preload to the headset bearings. You
tighten it first, just snug so there is no play in the headset and it turns smoothly, then the stem
clamp bolts.

Mike

Pete Biggs

Guest
Joel Rose wrote:
> I have 2 spacers that sit between my headset and stem and was wondering if in order to remove 1 or
> both, is it as simple as removing the stem cap and bolts and then removing the spacers??

These instructions should be useful: http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_headthreadless.shtml
(scroll down)

If you only have 5 or 10mm spacers, consider using some 2mm spacers to fine tune the position.

~PB

Status
Not open for further replies.