Spacer removal from stem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Joel Rose, Mar 26, 2003.

  1. Joel Rose

    Joel Rose Guest

    Hello,

    I have 2 spacers that sit between my headset and stem and was wondering if in order to remove 1 or
    both, is it as simple as removing the stem cap and bolts and then removing the spacers?? I would
    like to try and lower my handlebars and removing the spacers seems like the only way to accomplish
    that. Thanks for any advice in advance.

    Joel Rose

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Joel Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have 2 spacers that sit between my headset and stem and was wondering if in order to remove 1 or
    > both, is it as simple as removing the stem cap and bolts and then removing the spacers?? I would
    > like to try and lower my handlebars and removing the spacers seems like the only way to accomplish
    > that. Thanks for any advice in advance.
    >
    > Joel Rose

    Yes. You should place the spacers on top of the stem after you replace it and see if you like the
    position before you trim the steerer. The top cap applies the preload to the headset bearings. You
    tighten it first, just snug so there is no play in the headset and it turns smoothly, then the stem
    clamp bolts.

    Mike

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Joel Rose wrote:
    > I have 2 spacers that sit between my headset and stem and was wondering if in order to remove 1 or
    > both, is it as simple as removing the stem cap and bolts and then removing the spacers??

    These instructions should be useful: http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_headthreadless.shtml
    (scroll down)

    If you only have 5 or 10mm spacers, consider using some 2mm spacers to fine tune the position.

    ~PB