Spacers above the stem

AyeYo

Mar 21, 2014
In preparation for my clip on aero bars, I decided to take the massive stack of spacers out from under my stem. The bike came from the shop with a good 20mm+ in spacers on top of a massive headtube bearing cap, topped off with Felt's variable angle stem in the upward orientation with the shim also angled upward for something like 15 degrees of rise. It was like riding on a mountain bike. Within a week I had flipped the stem (but left the spacers) to give a basically flat angle. With the spacers and already elevated headtube geometry, that put the bars level with the seat - still a ridiculously relaxed position. So yesterday (a year later) I decided to move a couple spacers above the stem. The riding position feels great on the trainer, I'll find out tonight whether it feels good on the road. The question is, if I like it, do I cut the steer tube or leave the spacers above the stem? In my opinion, I think it looks horrible, but not everyone thinks so. In fact, after a lot of googling I see that most manufacturers require or at least recommend at least a 5mm spacer above the stem on their carbon steer tubes.

So... to cut or not to cut?

Cut but leave a 3mm spacer on top Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by doss

Cut but leave a 3mm spacer on top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A little more, like 10 mm, if preserving some resale value of the bike is a concern for you.

Point. I rarely think about resale Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always cut to 3mm under the top of the stem in my position. I like the way it looks. As long as you are using a fork bung, don't have the steerer cut below the top stem bolt, and don't overtighten the stem bolts it shouldn't be a problem .

Although I have sold every single bike before my current, I have never worried about the resale value when trimming steerer tube. The biggest problem with trimming too much steerer imo is that if we do it at the height of fitness/flexibility, and then take a minor layoff, we may need to come up a little as we get ourselves back into shape. Once it's off, it's off for good. If I'm experimenting with a lower than usual stem position I'll leave some steerer above.

The bikes I typically ride would probably be of little interest to those weekend warriors who need level bars anyway. Then again with my conservative 5cm drop between saddle and bars I typically have about 20mm of spacers under the stem (with a level stem/steerer cap on top), which seems enough for most potential buyers of "race bikes".

If in doubt, leave some spacers for a couple weeks just to be sure.

Quote by OBC:
"A little more, like 10 mm, if preserving some resale value of the bike is a concern for you."

This.

I leave 5 MM minimum and a 10 MM more often. That said, I rode the bike before this last one with 20 MM worth of spacers above the stem. The frame cracked before I got around to getting the hacksaw and files/sandpaper on it.

As to the poll: Needs options for "Who Gives A Damn?" and "I Like Pie!".

Although I think the stem in danfoz's picture looks so much better with the cap on it directly, I decided to not cut... at least for now. I had never really thought about resale value because I just though I'd keep the bike forever, but no one is going to want to buy a sportive bike with a slammed stem and no tube left to raise it on.

Originally Posted by AyeYo
Although I think the stem in danfoz's picture looks so much better with the cap on it directly...
Subliminal messaging SUCCESS! You thought it was the flush steerer cap when it was really the Campy shifters mated to a classic bend that create the aesthetic masterpiece ;)

Quote by AyeYo"
"...no one is going to want to buy a sportive bike with a slammed stem and no tube left to raise it on."

True that.

Quote by Danno:
"You thought it was the flush steerer cap when it was really the Campy shifters"

Oh hells yeah! Go tell it to shiSwampy in the corrosion thread! Heheh!

Like bacon, Campy makes everything better!