spacers with threaded headset?

artemidorus

Mar 10, 2004
I've bought a new threaded cro-mo fork for my old MTB - I needed one with eyelets for a low-rider rack. I find that the steerer tube is quite long and I've always wanted one or two extra inches of bar height (my stem is already as high as it will go). Am I likely to get away with putting some threadless-type spacers between the headset top bearing cup and the locknut, and consequently being able to cut the steerer tube higher? If so, how much height would be an acceptable addition?
Yes, I know that there are hypothetical concerns about relying on the strength of more than a minimal length of threaded (weakened) tube. And I've got a shrewd idea that I should prefer steel or at least alloy spacers. Although I know that the options of a quill-type extender tube or an elevated (new) stem angle exist, this would be a no-cost upgrade for me, apart from the cost of the spacers and the A$5 for the fork. Advice much welcomed.

artemidorus said:
Am I likely to get away with putting some threadless-type spacers between the headset top bearing cup and the locknut, and consequently being able to cut the steerer tube higher? If so, how much height would be an acceptable addition?
Possibly, 2-to-3 cms.